A Job
9 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“A latte for you, a cappuccino for you and a sad ass plain coffee for you.”

Giving a table their ordered versions of coffee, I said jokingly to a man pushing his sixties. He was with his buddies of a similar age.

“You got it all wrong Dominic, this sad ass plain cup of coffee is what a real man drinks. Not those sweet ass sissy drinks, you guys are drinking.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever you say. Hey, how about you introduce me to your daughter whenever you have the chance? I might become your son-in-law later on?”

“Hmph! Not in your dreams! My daughter is a career woman in Washington D.C. she doesn’t have time for a barista like you.”

The old man said proudly. He showed me a picture of his daughter once and I must say, she is beautiful. And with every chance he gets, he always tries to parade the achievements of his daughter to me and his friends. 

“Tch, what a way to hurt my feelings you old bastard.”

I said with a smirk as I walked back to the bar where the boss is. 

Talk about a dude with daughter complex syndrome. If he knew what my real job was, I’d bet he’d be surprised and try to get me to hook-up with his daughter. But I’ll deny it and say my work comes first.

Hmph! It’s tough being a career man!

“...Why do you look so smug for some reason?”

Boss said with a weird gaze as she was pouring coffee. And in response to it, all I said was.

“I’m just too career oriented.”

And went to serve more orders. From behind me I could hear her say “did last night’s incident make him tired? Should I give him a day off?”

…While I’m not necessarily tired, I wouldn’t mind a day off. 

“Should I act tired?”

This was my whole thought process as I continued to work.

***

It was now lunch time.

“Ah, with the prodigal son here, I’m free.”

I said with a smile as I tossed John, the other shop employee, the apron. Despite having average looks, he’s a spirited chap, being 18 years old with a whole lot of misplaced enthusiasm. 

But hey, I won’t knock his hustle. 

We usually change our shifts during this time since my excuse is that my construction job usually starts around one o’clock and I need to make ten minutes before. 

And not suspecting anything, Boss allows me to leave early. 

She’s a queen! Long live the boss!

“Anything unusual happened?”

John asked as he donned the apron in a masterful manner. 

“Mm, nothing much. We got a new employee. She’s around your age and is living upstairs.”

I said casually as I left the cafe. 

“Oh really? That’s nice… wait, what! Living upstairs!”

From the outside, I could hear John exclaim as he had a sudden realization. I can understand his feelings considering that he knows I’m already living up there as well. It took a lot of convincing him that I had no ulterior motives for the boss for him to get off my ass.

It’s to the point where he probably thinks I’m homosexual. 

…I’ve won, but at what cost?

BZZZT!

All of a sudden, my phone vibrates.

“Hmm?”

Seeing what it was, I recognized the familiar number and picked it up.

“This is Dominic.”

“I have a job for you.”

A childish but feminine voice said in suppressed anger.

“Okay. At the usual location?”

“Yes and don’t be late.”

“No prob-”

DOO~ DOO~

“Damn, what got her panties in a bind today?”

I said with a wry smile and I entered the garage and got into my car. Someone made her very angry.

I’m not complaining though. For an angry day for her is a pay day for me. 

VROOM!

Cranking up my car and exiting out the garage I drive towards the predetermined location. Hehe, it’s time for my real job to start!

***

“Tell me, what made you think you can try and steal our shit?”

“I-I didn’t know! Please let me go!”

“I didn’t know. I didn’t know. You keep saying that however everyone else said you were the one that orchestrated it.”

“I-it wasn’t me! I promise!”

“So you're calling your friends over there liars, huh?”

“…You guys are mad, mad.”

Watching the torture of some poor dude in front of me as he along with two other bodies hung from a meat hook, I said to the person beside me with a hint of surprise. We were located in the freezer in the back of a high class restaurant. 

Usually when she’s mad, she’d have something being done while she does something else. For her to sit here and witness this while drinking tea…she’s pissed. 

“Of course we are. It’s not welcoming waking up in the middle of the night because some assholes tried to rob your establishment.”

The barely fifteen year old girl said. She had long purple hair and sharp blue eyes. She was dressed in white long sleeve shirt and a light blue dress. Her appearance here was a stark contrast to the men with rolled sleeves beating the shit out of this one dude. 

“How much did they take?”

“About $32k in cash. While it may not seem like a lot, it was the fact they ransacked the place and put hands on my people.”

“On your people? You, Clara, the head of the Sokolov family? Heh, these guys must be newbies to New Haven then.”

I said with a smirk. That’s right , Clara Sokolov, this fifteen year old right here, is the head of a Russian crime family, Shaksha. They run business such as restaurants like the one we’re in and is a major player in the sex industry. Owning strip clubs, erotic stores and brothels.


To think this young girl here took up the mantle of such an organization soon after her father was killed a few years ago. 


That was also the time when we first met. 

“My thoughts exactly. However, my problem doesn’t lie in the fact they robbed me. It’s the fact that they put their dirty little hands on family. More specifically, the brothel ‘Good Times’.”

Clara said as she gripped her tea cup in anger. Good Times was a brothel that Clara held very dear and near to her heart. Other than it being one of her main sources of income, it was also a place where she was raised. 

“These fuckers were originally thought to be customers but as soon as they got in they shot a few of our men and strong armed their way in…”

Clara explained as she got up from her chair and made her way to the front of the restaurant. I followed behind her as she talked. 

As we walked by, the men were pushing a cart that carried what looks to be a hammer and a cleaver. 

Things are about to get bloody. 

“They used some of the girls as hostages and made their way into the manager's office. From there they forced MeiMei, the manager, to open the safe and steal the cash. Otherwise, if she didn’t comply, the girls would be shot. After getting what they wanted…they…they…”

“They what?”

Knowing possibly what it was, I urged on. 

“They tried to rape MeiMei.”

“…”

I knew who MeiMei was. I met her a few times when I visited the brothel for jobs. Her and the other girls. 

From my understanding, while she was the manager of Good Times, she was also like an older sister to Clara. Helping raise her whenever her dad wasn’t around. 

Her anger is understandable. 

“If it wasn’t for her quick thinking and using the hidden revolver behind her desk, shooting two of them, and the other one being overpowered by the other three girls, It would’ve been bad.”

Sitting down at a fancy table that had food already set out for us, Clara said with a sigh. 

We were the only ones in the entire restaurant. 

“Is she alright at least?”

“Yeah. Other than a few bruises, she and the other girls will be okay. "We've been through way worse”, they all said with a smile. If it wasn’t for the fact I forced her to stay at home, MeiMei would’ve been here right now.”

“That’s a relief. They’re all nice people.”

“They are. They also keep telling me to bring you over as they missed you. What’s that about?”

Clara said with a glare to which I threw my hands up and said vehemently. 

“I didn’t do anything. I make it a rule to never partake in any of my clientele’s business as it could affect my performance. So while the urge is there, I’ll never touch them.”

“…Are you gay?”

“This bitch!”

“Haha, I’m joking. I’m joking. I know you didn’t do anything weird.”

“However, if MeiMei were to ask me on a date, I’d reconsider it.”

“Pshh, if you can one day go on a date with her I’ll call you brother in law… Now let’s get to business.”

Clara’s demeanor immediately switched up and became serious. The aura of a crime leader oozes from her. 

But due to her still being a kid, I can’t take her seriously.

“…”

 I’m holding back my urge to laugh right now. 

“From the information that we’ve gotten out of them. The crew consisted of seven people. A driver and six robbers. Out of the seven, three were captured as you already saw. And the rest escaped with said driver. We just need to find out who the ring leader is.”

“Okay. Where’s the location?”

“Here.”

She hands me a slip of paper with an address on it. Seeing where it’s at. I raise an eyebrow in realization. 

“Oh, this is why you called me. This is Albanian territory?”

“Exactly. While on the surface we have a truce going on. In the shadows we are steadily fighting each other with little acts of sneakiness like stealing clientele here, sabotaging a business there… I want to confirm whether or not the Albanian mafia had something to do with it or not before I act.”

“And if it is?”

Sipping on the wine I’ve gotten, I asked. 

“Then it’s war…”

AHHHH!

As she said that the sounds of a man screaming could be heard in the back. This sudden scream caused her to jump slightly in horror but she managed to not show it on her slightly pale face. 

I keep forgetting she’s a kid. 

“…And if not, I’ll end my business with those who attacked ‘Good Times’ and call it a day.”

Clara continued. However, all the intimidation she built up blew away. 

“Okay then.”

Finishing the rest of the wine in one gulp I said as I got up. 

“I’ll take the job.”

“How much?”

“Because MeiMei and the other girls got hurt, I’ll do it for $5k.”

“I can do that.”

“Then it’s a deal.”

We then shake hands. Her small hand was cool and clammy. Feeling this I said with a light smile. 

“Next time, how about you let your guy’s handle it. I know you're mad but you don’t have to sit there and watch that. You’re still a kid after all.

And by ‘that’ I’m referring to what’s going on in the back. I’m pretty sure it’s like a scene from Texas chainsaw massacre back there about now. 

“Hmph, I’m not a kid!”

As she said that she blushed and kicked my shin. 

To which I laughed a wryly laugh and left the restaurant with a simple ‘see you in a few days’. 

However, as soon as I exited her eyesight I dropped to one knee and squeezed out an anguished moan. 

Damn, that shit hurts! Fuck being a crime family leader, she could play professional football with that kick. 

That’s gonna leave a bruise.

“Sigh, hopefully nothing too wild will happen.”

Pulling out a cigarette, I mumbled as I limped back to my car. And upon getting in, I realized something. 

“…Oh shit.”

I’m late for work. 

1