Chapter Six: Dealings
33 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The problem with most people is that they always seek quick, simple answers. Robert didn't blame those people for wanting to escape that night. Like them, he didn't want to be a slave to anyone. The hopes of being free had blinded these people though. They only thought about the near future, and not the bigger picture. He had tried to explain, but his warnings fell upon deaf ears.

The sweet words of Kev and Luke had pulled the group to their side. They respected and sometimes feared Robert, but that was all. His presence on this ship merely kept the peace. With the honeyed words of those two in their ears, the people had lost their minds. It reminded him of what the nobles did in the army. They would promise riches to the men on the front lines, to get them to fight harder. Yet, none of these people usually lived to get their reward.

From what he'd heard, they planned on leaving that night. It would be a full moon, which allowed them to move easier at night. Usually, this would be an excellent idea, in fact, he had done the same several times in the past. The issue was that none of these people were trained to move at night. Even trained soldiers and hunters needed to be cautious when moving at such times.

Not only that, but monsters and some other nasty beasts were more active during the full moon. These beings would also grow in strength and become harder to deal with. It wasn't a good idea to travel at such a time, unless one knew the area. It was insane for these unarmed folks to step into those woods at such a time. This was their choice, though, and he didn't really have a right to stop them.

All he could do was hope that some benevolent fey folk lived in the forest, and that they would guide these people through the forest and keep them safe. However, deep down he knew that this was unlikely. It was much more likely that the fey in the forest would trick them. They wouldn't do it out of malice, but to protect themselves and their home. If these poor souls really encountered trouble out there, he hoped their deaths would be swift and painless.

Robert wasn't entirely sure how they'd gotten their hands on a knife, but they had used it to chip away at the wood at the base of the wagon that held the bars in place. After a day of hard work, they could now remove two bars, which allowed anyone to pass through. From what he'd overheard, the other wagons had done the same.

He wasn't sure why, but he had a feeling that something was… off. How did they get that knife? It couldn't have been the orc woman. She had the slave collar on, which prevented her from helping them. It was also a little suspicious how everything was going so smoothly. If he tried to bring this up to the others, they would probably dismiss it as pessimism. Robert didn't have any proof that something was going on, after all, it was just a feeling.

"But who would benefit from a group of slaves escaping?" He thought to himself.

"Or am I just overthinking everything?"

Because of his injury, or perhaps his advanced age, or maybe a bit of both, he was unwilling to take risks like he used to. Maybe this was the reason he didn't want to escape with these people. Before his injury, he'd have never let such a chance pass him by, even as his bones ached and his joints stiffened. It was this very denial that had caused him to lose his arm. Since then, he had tried to become more aware of his body. He didn't want to make the same mistake again.

The sky grew darker as the sun slowly disappeared over the horizon. The wagon became restless and he could feel the surrounding excitement. Looking around, he could see the nervous expressions on the faces of those surrounding him. They were probably nervous about what the future may hold, and rightfully so. As the sun finally set and darkness overcame the village, they took action.

They started by sliding the bars off and making their way to the supply wagon. Although he understood their need for supplies, the problem was that this wagon was precisely where the orc woman usually slept. He wasn't sure how that woman would react when she saw all these slaves. Robert decided it was best to go take a look. If he was lucky, he might be able to grab some food amidst the chaos.

When they reached the supply wagon, the orc woman was nowhere in sight. Quickly they took as much as they could carry. It surprised him that these folks could remain quiet during all of this. With silent fervor, they picked apart the supply wagon, taking anything of value. He tried to look around and see if he could see Ryo, but couldn't find him. The lad probably decided it was too risky to leave as well.

Walking over to the food barrels, he grabbed a loaf of bread and some dried meat. He could see some wanted to stop him, but none dared to. They probably wanted to take it all with them. Once they took everything they could, they made their way toward the forest. Robert watched as they disappeared into the night.

"Let it be swift and painless." He mumbled as he watched them go.

***

Aside from him, there were only three people left in the wagon. Those who had escaped were probably already in the woods. One of the people that had stayed behind was an older man, with one of his eyes missing. He was frail-looking, as if he would fall apart at any moment. Another was a younger woman, who looked around nervously. She reminded him of a field mouse that was about to be caught by a cat.

The last person was a young man, he didn't quite remember seeing him before. His expression was blank, as if he wasn't quite alive, and he just gazed up at the stars. There was also a slim, blue shimmering light that surrounded the man. Ryo wasn't sure what that meant and kept his distance from him. It was best to just pretend to be ignorant about it. The man didn't seem to pose a threat to him, so it shouldn't matter. Plus, he didn't pay much attention to the others. So maybe he just didn't remember the man's face.

Ryo heard someone approaching the wagons then and turned to see who it was. In the far distance, he could see a black mass make its way toward him. As it got closer, he could make out some details and realized it was Robert!

"Robert, over here!" He called out in a hushed tone.

"Ryo? You can see me from over there?" The old man replied in astonishment.

"Yeah!" Ryo answered.

"That's some impressive eyesight." The old man replied, making his way to the wagon.

Ryo couldn't help but let a smile spread across his face. It had been a long time since anyone had given him a compliment. Robert was finally beside the wagon where the iron bars used to be. That's when he noticed that the old man was carrying food!

"Wait, where did you get all that food?!" He asked, his eyes growing wide.

"I got us some food, might as well have a feast. You never know what tomorrow will hold, especially after tonight." Robert explained, getting up into the wagon and handing him some food.

"Thank you." Ryo said, grabbing the food eagerly.

"No problem" Robert answered, sitting down beside him.

Why… why didn't you go… with the others?" Ryo asked, in between greedy mouthfuls.

"Just didn't think it was the best time." Robert remarked, handing out food to the others as well.

"Oh." Ryo responded, before taking another large bite of bread.

"What about you?" Robert asked him.

"Me? Uh… well, I didn't think it was a good time either!" Ryo told the old man, not really sure of what else to say. It was a little embarrassing to tell Robert the truth.

"Wahaha!" The old man laughed before he asked, "Really?"

"Yes." Ryo said, nodding his head eagerly.

"I see." Robert responded, tearing off a rough chunk of bread.

"Let's finish eating and try to catch some sleep. I'm sure tomorrow will be… interesting, to say the least." The old man added, giving him a warm smile.

***

Robert didn't really know how the man would react. Most of the merchants he had met were cowards, only concerned with the chasing of profit. From what he had seen of Grant, the man had a short temper. The man knew, however, when to put his anger aside, if a coin could be made. When the merchant learned about this, he would probably have a stroke. After that, he would probably try to leave this village as quickly as possible. That way Grant could arrive in Therian and hire some slaver trackers.

If life on the battlefield had taught Robert anything, it was that people were unpredictable. If the merchant did something rash, he would probably have to kill him. Killing the man wouldn't really be that hard. The only problem was the orc woman that guarded him. He would need to quickly kill the merchant before he could call out to her. Once he was dead, she would have no need to fight him. Which was a relief, because he didn't know if he could win against her in a fight.

It didn't take long until he was the last one in the wagon, still awake. Looking up at the stars, he marveled at their beauty. Remembering all the times he had done the same thing in the past. His thoughts drifted back to when he was younger, and the life he'd had. He thought about all the times he had almost died. The comrades he'd lost and the ones that remained. Looking back now, he felt as if it had all happened just yesterday.

"How quickly time catches up to us." He mumbled to himself, wistfully.

Life after serving in the army had been hard for him to adjust to. For a long time, he'd felt like he was drifting through life. Make no mistake, he was glad not to be on the battlefield anymore, but a part of him missed it. Nothing made his heartbeat like it had when he was fighting for his life. Robert took no joy in staining his sword with another's blood… he just felt numb if he wasn't fighting.

He also missed the unbreakable bonds he had formed with his brothers in arms. You had to trust the people that fought alongside you with your life, because they trusted you with theirs. That bond wasn't something you could get outside the battlefield. Several times he had considered going back and re-enlisting, but he'd always talked himself out of it. There was a reason he'd left the army.

A large part of that reason had been the knights or nobles who'd led them, they were always idiots. Because of their stupidity, several of his friends had died. He was tired of risking his life for the benefit of others. If he had to fight, he would rather it be on his terms, and for much more gold. There was no such thing as honor or righteousness on the battlefield. It was a desperate struggle for your existence, and a man full of honor died just as easily as any other.

Looking down, he watched Ryo sleep, the lad's face was distorted in pain. The boy frequently had nightmares, often crying or whimpering while he slept. Such things reminded him of when he was young and had witnessed his first battle. The faces of those who he'd killed haunted him frequently back then. Maybe that was another reason he looked out for Ryo so much. The boy was like him in so many ways; they had both seen hell and lived.

***

"What… cough... do you… cough... mean?!" Grant screamed weakly between fits of coughing.

He had just been informed that his slaves had disappeared into the night. Not only that, but that those bastards had raided the supply wagon. With them gone, there was no way he could make any profit from this trip. In fact, this might very well force him out of business entirely. Grant owed several people in Therian a considerable sum of money. Once he paid them off, he wouldn't have any coin for himself. How would he be able to restock?!

"That's over… cough… three hundred… cough… you fucking…" He added, before stopping himself.

Grant could see small droplets of blood on his clothes, and the copper taste of it filled his mouth. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself before his health got worse. Three hundred gold was not an insignificant amount of money. The average farmer probably made around one gold and twenty silver pieces per year, before taxes. It would take a tiny village working a full year to make such a sum.

"How did they escape?" he demanded, gnashing his teeth and sending little rivulets of saliva flying.

"..." Yotul shrugged. The woman's attitude made him see red! Grant was about to explode again, but stopped himself.

"What were you two even doing?!" He asked them, clenching his fists until his knuckles turned white.

"Sir, there is only me and Yotul! We have been searching for the witch, like you ordered." Ansley protested, shrinking back in fear from him.

If it wasn't for the fact Ansley was a debt slave, Grant would have caned him. Debt slaves had certain rights and protections that didn't allow for harsh beatings. The weasel of a man would only work for him until he paid off his debts. He was gritting his teeth so hard that they ached.

"We also only fed them twice a day like you asked." Ansley complained.

"To hell with you!" Grant cursed, tossing the cowbell at Yotul. It missed, but the orc shot him a threatening look.

"Are there any left?" He grumbled, crossing his arms.

"There are only four left, sir." Ansley mumbled.

These were probably the old ones he had bought on discount. They probably thought it was too risky for them to escape. He could feel a headache forming behind his eyes. What am I going to do now? There was no way he could make enough money before going to Therian. If he tried to outrun the debts, the people he owed would simply put a bounty on him. As Grant's thoughts were whirling about what he should do next, a light knock sounded on the door.

"Come in!" Grant snapped, upset someone was interrupting him.

The door slowly opened, revealing an elderly woman, supported by a dark wooden staff. The old woman looked as if she were on death's door. She had waxy pale skin that sagged, causing her face to droop like an old candle. Her eyes were milky white and were sunken deep into her skull, each one of which was surrounded by dark circles, as if she hadn't slept in years. A long gray robe draped across her, hiding most of her body.

The old woman surveyed the room until her eyes settled upon him. Grant felt a chill run down his spine as he locked eyes with her. A potent mixture of spices filled the air and seemed to emanate from the old woman. She gave him a nod, followed by a small and unnerving toothy grin.

"Young man, I hear you are not doing so well." The old woman said, her voice quiet and raspy.

"The innkeeper told me you needed my services." She added, taking a step into the room.

For a second he was slightly confused until he realized this must be the witch. Clearing his throat, he put on a smile and greeted her.

"Oh-Uh. Thank you for coming, madam! I hear from the village that you are a most skilled healer. I will pay…" He said before the witch cut him off.

"There is no need for such flattery, young man. Let me see what's wrong with you first. Then we can discuss payment." She told him, flatly.

The old witch seemed to glide across the floor to his side. She stretched out her thin, knobby hand and grabbed his wrist, before closing her eyes. Grant was a little uncomfortable with her being so close, but silently waited for her to finish. After a few minutes, she opened her eyes and gave him another smile, which seemed to drain the warmth from his body.

"This is a rare sickness called The Blooming. You must have picked it up a week ago." The old woman explained. Before removing her hand from his wrists and stepping back.

"Is it… fatal?" He asked, fear gripping his chest.

"If left untreated, it will sap your strength until you die. You probably already feel yourself fading away." She stated plainly, rubbing her chin in thought.

"Can... can you cure it?!" He asked, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"Yes, I have treated this sickness before. I will just need a few hours to gather the ingredients, child. Then I can concoct a medicine." She acknowledged, nodding her head slowly.

"How soon can it be finished?" Grant asked, as a wave of relief washed over him.

"If I start now, it should be ready in two to four hours." The witch old witch answered.

"… But you will need a few days to recover." She quickly added.

"What?! Is there no other way?" Grant begged, not wanting to stay here any longer.

"I could use my magic to help speed up the process." She replied, motioning for him to calm down.

"How long will it take then?" He quickly asked. All he wanted was to get out of this damned village.

"Well, you could leave as soon as today or tomorrow." The old witch stated.

"Thank you, madam! I will have to trouble you." Grant said, giving her his best smile.

"Now what about compensation?" She asked, giving him another toothy smile.

The smile on his face quickly faded. The one thing he knew was that medicine was never cheap. Plus, she would heal him with her magic, which would surely cost even more. He had a couple of hundred gold on him, which should be more than enough. The problem was that he didn't want to spend any of it. Grant needed to hang on to every last copper piece he could muster, considering the pitiful state of his business.

"Madam, I have no knowledge in such matters. I will ask you to name your price." Grant answered.

"I heard you're a slave merchant." She remarked, tapping her fingers on her chin.

"Yes, madam." He answered, understanding what she was implying.

"If you would allow me to select a few, then I will heal you."

It relieved him greatly to hear her ask for slaves instead of coins. The only problem now was that he didn't have many left. Grant wasn't sure how many exactly, but he guessed only the older, weaker slaves remained - only those who'd been unwilling to risk escaping. He was happy to give her them, as they were practically worthless, but didn't want to risk angering her with such a paltry payment. If the old witch knew how inferior they were, she would surely never agree. He desperately wants to avoid offending a person that literally held his life in their hands.

"This…" Grant hesitated, not sure what to say. "Madam, I'm sure you are unaware. But last night many of my slaves escaped." He finally said.

"Oh dear, all of them escaped?" She asked, covering her mouth in surprise.

"I only have four left. I doubt they will be of outstanding quality." He told her truthfully, shaking his head.

"Young man, I don't need some young stud. All I need them for is to help me around the house." She assured him.

"Are you sure, madam?" grant asked.

"I am." The witch stated.

"If you insist, then you can select any three you wish." He replied, seeing no reason to refuse the witch's offer.

"Excellent, we have a deal." She said, giving him a slight nod.

"I will begin preparing the medicine immediately." The old witch added, before turning around and leaving the room.

***

1