Chapter 32
60 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hunter sprinted through the forest, reveling in his new agility. He didn’t even bother taking the cleared path, too enamored with the freedom of flying through the woods. His foot never found an obstruction as his Perception picked out every detail of his surroundings, and his Dexterity allowed him to use any surface as a way forward. He leaped from a gnarled root and landed on a dirt outcropping for the brief second it took for him to launch himself ahead. He was bouncing on boulders and swinging from moss-covered branches. Throughout the entire experience, he could feel the wind at his back and under his feet. It subtly pushed and guided him to a successful landing after successful landing. He whooped in joy as the benefits of his transformation were made manifest.

When Hunter broke from the woods and returned to the beaten trail, he wasn’t even breathing hard. He had traveled about half of the distance to the icon on his mini-map. Although running through the forest was fun, it wasn’t as efficient as taking the path. Swallowing his disappointment that he couldn’t continue his journey through the trees like a ninja, he set out on a jog. He found a measure of enjoyment from the mundane activity. His steps were light, and his eyes were shining with steely gray intensity.

He ran this way for close to an hour before stumbling upon anything of note. He slid to a stop as he happened upon two figures fighting each other on the trail. The first figure was a humanoid with cobalt flesh. The horns were slightly different than the dead woman he had found, but the male still had the tail, black hair, and golden armor that indicated he was part of the same faction. The warrior was pouring Flames of Avarice out of one palm and covering his opponent, a brutish ghorum, in emerald fire.

Sensing an opportunity to earn some goodwill, Hunter drew his blade and activated Gale Rush, and his thoughts were spread upon the winds as his body transformed into a rush of air. He rushed toward the ghorum in a torrent of obsidian wind. Hunter returned to his body just before crashing into the monster as the wind surrounding him continued its journey. The air surrounded the demon and flowed into its eyes, ears, and mouth. The air caused the ghorum to hesitate as it began choking on its weaponized breath. 

Hunter felt the slight rush of stolen energy as he engaged Tempest Strikes. He was a leaf floating in the breeze as his body instinctively moved through the forms required. In a state between meditation and active thought, he felt like he could understand more about the Kata of Black Wind from his own attacks. Hunter’s sword flitted through the air like a striking serpent, carvings hunks of meat from his enemy.

With each passing blow, more of the Black Wind percolated around Hunter’s body and entered the wounds he created. Hunter watched in fascination as the gaps in the ghorum’s flesh darkened and rotted before his eyes.

“Get back!” He heard the guttural growl from the humanoid.

Following his temporary ally’s instructions, Hunter flitted away from the ghorum on lightened steps. When he had left the immediate vicinity of the monster, the cobalt man threw a fireball that detonated against the demon’s flesh. Hunter’s wind was consumed by the fire and enhanced its destructive effect. The concussive force hit Hunter like a punch in the chest.

The ghorum was roared in anger and pain, but the blue-skinned warrior didn’t look the least bit afraid as he thrust toward the ghorum’s neck. The demon was able to bring up a sweeping paw to block the strike, but it paid a pound of flesh for its trouble.

 Hunter decided that he wasn’t going to be any less brave and re-engaged his target. He leaped into the air and brought his sword down in a two-handed arcing parallel slash. It split the flesh over the ghorum’s ribcage and shattered the ribs below. When Hunter landed on his feet, he corkscrewed his body to bring his sword from his low right-hand side in an upward slash that ended above his head. The passage of the blade cleanly slid through the ghorum’s left arm and detached it from the rest of its body.

Having disabled the ghorum, Hunter leaped back again and summoned a Black Tornado to his palm. After pouring his mana into the swirling cyclone, he left it loose with a roar of his own. The wind whipped toward the demon before exploding into an ash-colored hurricane. It swept across the monster and ravaged its flesh while feeding Hunter with stolen energy. 

The other humanoid leaped back as well and copied Hunter’s attack. He threw emerald fire that was carried by Hunter’s attack. The air around the ghorum became a whirlwind of emerald fire. It crashed over the demon and blackened its flesh with extreme heat. 

Hunter had never considered that his attacks could become a vehicle for others. It created a deadly symmetry that the young warrior was sure to remember. If he ever found allies, his glass-cannon build could be supplemented by partners. It was a stunning display of destructive potential. 

The ghorum crashed to the ground, and Hunter advanced immediately. He activated Erosion touch, and a black breeze issued from his palm. It covered the barely-living monster and drained away its health, mana, stamina, and soul energy. The power rushed into Hunter as the wind stole the essence of the demon. Hunter could feel his damaged visage humming in pleasure on the surface of his face.

When the desiccated corpse of the ghorum collapsed into gray ash, the only substance remaining after Hunter’s feast, the blue-skinned warrior pushed Hunter away with a snarl.

“What the fuck are you doing? That was mine.” The man’s pointed teeth were bared, and there was barely restrained murder in his stance.

Hunter warily backed away from the man and analyzed him with Covetous Eyes.

Lesser Greed Tiefling: Lvl 10

“Easy, friend.” Hunter implored with a calming gesture. “I was trying to help you. You looked like you were in a bit of trouble.” 

“Trouble? I was right about to kill the ghorum and be the first of my kind to slay the foul pest! Its equipment was going to be mine.”

Hunter frowned, noticing the man’s disheveled state. He hadn’t seen before, but the blue man was a ragged mess. His clothes were tattered, his armor dented, and scratches covered his arms and face like a crosshatch sketch. 

“Alright, how about I give you some replacement gear from the last ghorum I slew?”

Hunter reached into his Wrap of Avarice and plucked out two of the bracers that typically covered a ghorum’s arms. He threw them to the ground and patiently watched the angry tiefling.

The man’s eyes lit up in greed as he stowed his sword in its scabbard to pick up the two bracers. He was studying the gold equipment with a pleased expression. Hunter watched as the cobalt tiefling fed the ghorum armor to his own.

Well, so much for being special. Hunter thought.

3