Chapter One: Coronation Day
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coronation Day: The Queen's Room

She was antsy.  It was a big day for her, colored by sadness.  Her father, the King Thomsin, was barely cold in his grave, and here she was dressed in an ornate gown preparing for her coronation dinner and afterwards the shifting ceremony and run through the forest. 

Her mother will have gone ahead, which did not bother her in the least.  She and her mother had never really gotten along when she was younger. Now that she was older and had absorbed diplomat training at her father's elbow for several years, she could mask her frustration with her mother's behavior better, she could hide the sadness she felt that she could never measure up to what her mother wanted her to be, even before they lost hope for a male heir.

Her best friend, and soon to be her own personal witch, serving the Queen of the kingdom, was late.  She should be here already, helping her calm her nerves before going into the dining hall and to walk with her down the hall towards those huge double doors that would open to the reveal her, once again, to the kingdom.

There was a knock at the door, and she looked towards it hopefully as she bade whoever had knocked to enter. It was not Cecily. She tried to hide the disappointment since it was Ranulf, who had been her father's best friend and trained her in sword play. "Yes, Ranulf?"

He smiled at her, "You look beautiful, dear.  Your father would be so proud if he could see you. It's your mother, Your Majesty. She's clucking about you coming down so the feast can begin."

Johanna smiled, "I was just getting everything straightened out... And I was hoping Cecily would have arrived by now." She looked at the maid that had been assisting her with changing her clothes and smiled, "Are we ready, Matlide?"

Matilde blushed and dipped into a low curtsy, "Yes, your majesty.  Sir Ranulf was right, my lady. You look beautiful." Her eyes were shining with joyful, unshed tears. It was an honor for her family that she was serving the queen, and she felt it with all the gravity it deserved. 

Johanna patted her hand and sincerely said, "It is your handiwork that makes me beautiful today, I thank you Matilde for your service," And she bowed to the girl. "Now, go, enjoy the rest of the night. Will you escort me, Sir Ranulf?"

"It would be my honor, your majesty," he said with a low bow. 

They smiled at each other then and began walking towards the doors, which were just swinging open.

"Cecily!" Cried Johanna.

Cecily had only grown more beautiful with the years she spent training to serve Johanna as Queen.  She smiled at her friend and dipped into a curtsy, "Your majesty, forgive my lateness it could not be helped."

Johanna let out a laugh, "Let's not have any of that Mistress Cecily!" and ran to embrace her friend.  "I Have missed you, your lateness matters not, as long as you are here now.  Come, walk with Ranulf and I down the hall and pat me out of anxiousness before I enter the wolf den."

Cecily smiled at her friend and laughed, "Shouldn't the newly crowned queen make her grand entrance to the feast wearing her crown? Or had you already forgotten?"

All three laughed as Cecily picked up the crown and carried it as they proceeded to the doors of the dining hall.  As they stepped up to the doors, Cecily placed the crown atop her friend's head and kissed her cheek. You will be amazing.  And try not to fall in love with all the royals your mother is sure to be throwing your way tonight and forever until you're dead!"

Cecily stepped aside, out of site from the eyes she knew would turn towards the doors as soon as they moved. This was Johanna's moment. Cecily's would come after dinner, when the witches gathered to call for the blessing before the shifting and run through the forest. 

0