Chapter 3: The Ceremony
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: The Ceremony

Shortly after arriving back in the kingdom with her mother, Cecily began her training as a witch.  She had a great inherent ability from when she was a child, so her mother did not shrink from starting her early in her training. Lady Deirdre knew that with her friendship with little princess Johanna, Cecily could become the highest witch in the kingdom and her abilities would only strengthen her position. 

Cecily studied hard and did well.  She was able to always find time to spend with her new friend Princess Johanna.  They always seemed to be in some kind of mischief whenever they were together. The Queen Muriel would always have that sour look on her face, but since Deirdre was the palace witch since the last one died, Muriel couldn't really ban the girl from the palace. She knew well Deirdre's power and that her daughter would more than likely surpass her eventually. She thought to stay on the girl's good side, since she would eventually have need of her power for her own use. 

She had something at least to hold over Deirdre, which was why she had left the castle in the first place, after she had done as Muriel demanded. While she was a witch, Deirdre knew her place, Muriel thought.  

The girls thought their mothers were the best of friends because they were in counsel so much when Deirdre brought Cecily back to the castle.  The only reason Muriel demanded they return was for her own use, and the old palace witch had died, quite not by accident, if you understand. Muriel knew Deirdre was powerful, and she would need use of that power.

Even today, the girls did not know of any of this.  When Deirdre was spoken of by Muriel, it was with sadness, but only because she no longer had the ability to get Deirdre to do things for her. 

Seeing Cecily here, though, Muriel began plotting how she could get the girl to serve her purposes.  She knew it would be difficult as, the girls were such good friends and Cecily might take issue with what Muriel asked of her.  She would figure it out, though, she was sure. 

When the feast ended and the dishes cleared away, Johanna stood.  She walked around to the dais, and began walking to the doors that led outside. Everyone else rose and fell in behind her.  What happened next would be the last thing they had to do for Johanna to fully become queen and the sole leader of the kingdom.

As they all filed out and Johanna walked to face Cecily, who as the palace witch was the highest ranked witch in the kingdom, with the other witches behind her lined up around the fountain in the center of the courtyard. Cecily smiled a small smile for her friend before she began with the prayers. "The goddess has blessed us with a female ruler and we are thankful for that blessing. May your reign be blessed with an abundance of crops, prosperity, happiness and children. "

Johanna bowed and took off her crown that she handed to Cecily.  Still facing her friend, she removed her dress and shifted into her wolf form. Everyone behind her followed suit.  For the first time, Johanna spoke to her people through the wolves. "My people, we are blessed by the goddess. Let us do as our ancestors have done for millennia, and run free through the forests of our lands." Then out loud, she howled as the kingdom joined in.

She could feel a different power in her now.  Nothing like she'd ever felt before, even the first time she was able to shift. It was amazing.  Her wolf seemed to grow larger and stronger.  She jumped lightly ahead and began leading her people through the forests, where they would run until the sun was coming up the next morning.

What no one happened to notice was that Muriel did not shift to go run with the pack.  Nor did a young, handsome man that stood by her side. While no one was looking, they slunk back inside whispering conspiratorially to each other.

0