Chapter Twenty-Three
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twenty-Three

 

The walk to Haven City Grocer was not an easy one. We looked like the most suspicious band of citizens, but I had to rely on the nonchalant, non-confrontational attitude of the Haven City citizens. However, just in case, I had Aura Ray check our immediate surroundings every five minutes or so. I could let her rest for a while once we reached our destination. 

I also had Vice check his Hindsight for the most likely outcome, but he kept telling me that we’re getting closer and closer until we eventually reached it. Our fight wasn’t over though as we would face some resistance--not Arid’s stupidly named group--from Ignitro’s ex-goons. 

We entered the grocery store, receiving looks from most customers, but I guess it couldn’t be helped. The four of us headed straight for the back office, but one brave soul stepped out in front of the flap doors to try and…stop us? I really don’t know what he was hoping to accomplish. I merely shoved him to the side, and Vice added injury to non-injury by lightly tapping him in the stomach, causing him to double over and spew a few chunks of blood.

“Clean that up,” I demanded. 

We walked through a cold storage room and entered the even colder office. I glanced around it. Meat hanging from the ceiling. Pictures of Ignitro’s dead family on the desk. Boxes of unknown origin and value crowded every corner. 

“There’s gonna need to be some changes, but I think I’ll be able to work with this,” I said aloud.

“With all due respect, ma’am,” Aura Ray chimed. “I think this is exactly what was missing from your villainous status. Now, you’ll have to be respected even more so.”

“You don’t have to start a statement like that with ‘with all due respect’,” I said to ease her. It didn’t work.

“Um, sorry ma’am!” she said. She looked flustered; had her head lowered and her hair over her eyes. She was shivering. It could have been from the cold. I rolled my eyes and placed a hand on her shoulder. She gasped and looked up at me. She was blushing.

“Relax, Aura.” She nodded violently and seemed to be okay after I said this, squaring her shoulders and holding her head high. She was still shivering. I heard someone clear their throat and I peered at the person standing at the office entrance behind her. 

“What can I assist with, miss?” he must have blended in with the other goons on our way in. Though, I’m not sure how. He had a strong, sharp jawline, stubble, slightly pointed nose, long eyelashes, messy brown hair atop his head, and piercing green eyes. He was wearing a black suit like the rest of the goons. 

“Oh, my,” Aura Ray quivered, turning around and getting a look at him. “Miss Luther, if you don’t need him, can I borrow him?”

“Heel, Aura,” I said. “Who might you be?”

“Antonio, miss. Ant for short.”

“And what could you possibly want to help me with?”

“I know how the other…employees feel about your takeover. I, for one, support it,” Ant explained. “Yeah, Matteo was on track to accomplishing his dream of taking over the Haven City underground. But, that woulda taken much longer to accomplish than he thought. He didn’t have the balls to do what you’ve done. Funnily enough.”

“Matteo?” Vulcon asked.

“Uh, Ignitro,” he answered, then turned back to me. “I like to think I’m a good judge of character. Excellent, even. I see you takin’ this organization far.”

“Helluva introduction, man,” Vice said. “You on a fast track to get in her pants?”

I shot Vice a look, a faint glow of blue in my eye. It would likely kill anyone else and I know it caused him unease, even though he shrugged it off. 

“No, no. Nothing like that. I got a girl,” Ant made it known.

“Lucky gal,” Aura said, before retreating behind me. 

“Miss Luther, whatever you need out of this organization. Come to me and I’ll take care of it,” he continued.

“Weapons,” I said. “I’m looking for a cryo-gun. I don’t know how familiar you are with the Nobles, but one of them--”

“Gumbrawl?” he guessed, pointing at me, slightly squinting and cocking his head to the side. I nodded, waiting for further explanation. He pulled out his phone and began scrolling. “Yeah, I, uh, had been following your revolution and had been keeping track of the Nobles you killed. Quite a repertoire already. He next?”

“That’s the plan.”

“And you said you’re looking for a cryo-gun. I think I might know--”

“Ant, move!” a goon shouted. This new one and a few others piled in, weapons drawn and pointed at me. “Amaia Luther, we will not allow you to take over Boss Durante’s legacy. You have one chance to leave before we force you to.”

I tilted my head and sighed, letting a faint glow of blue in my eyes grow. I didn’t want to waste the manpower, but it didn’t seem like they were giving me much of a choice. Before I could begin, Ant quickly drew his pistol and put one between the eyes of the leader of this pitiful resistance. He then swiftly swapped between the other targets. 

“Anyone else have anything to say?” he questioned. “Speak up now.”

The remaining lowered their weapons. Seemed they would follow suit from now on. Ant turned to me. It seemed as if he was looking for approval. 

“Thanks for that,” I said. I didn’t trust him, but I would play him like I did. It’s possible he worked for the Alpha Corps. He could have a direct line to Asai. I would have to be careful with what information I revealed around him, but reveal enough to convince him that I wasn’t onto him. 

“Just doin’ my job,” he said. “Now, as far as weapons dealers, I think the best you’ll find now is someone called ‘Madame Maker’.”

Now? Was he aware of what happened to Shackle at the docks? Did he get that information from the news or from his real boss?

“She deals not only with weapons, but fake serums. Though, I doubt you’ll need that. Maybe you could get in with her fake serum dealings considering how the demand is at an all-time high with the doctors that made the legit serums…disappearing,” he said. 

“Get me a meeting with her,” I commanded. 

“And when would you like that?”

“Tonight.”

“Uh…I’m not sure--”

“You said you could take care of anything with this organization,” I said. “Don’t disappoint me.”

I waved him off. He slightly bowed his head and walked off. “And turn the goddamn heat on!” I called after him. 

Vice leaned in closer to me and spoke in a low tone.

“I don’t trust him,” he said. “And that’s not because--”

“Are you jealous, Vice?”

He leaned back away from me. “What could I possibly be fuckin’ jealous of?” he asked. I smiled at him, lowering my eyelids. “Look, I just get a weird vibe from the guy, okay? If you don’t believe me, just remember…hindsight’s a bitch.”

 

Ant got us the meeting. Wondered how he managed that. I now sat across from Madame Maker in her office with Aura Ray and Ant by my side. I didn’t feel the need to bring Vice or Vulcon because I was close to fully healed and was confident I’d be able to kill anyone she could send at me. But, with Ant possibly working for the Alpha Corps, I realized it could be a setup. I had a goon give their phone to Aura to call Vice and Vulcon should anything go awry. 

Madame Maker was a heavyset African American woman with a business suit on that was being a bit stretched. Behind her to her right was a masked figure who was standing so still, I wasn’t sure if it was a mannequin. It kinda of reminded me of Krow. Just a bit. It had a hooded cloak over the mask/helmet and a sword resting in its sheath on its back. 

“So you’re the cold bitch that’s been going around murdering the Nobles, huh?” Maker said, beginning the conversation, looking up from her desk. 

“In the chilled flesh,” I responded. She chuckled.

“I like what you’re doing out there. I especially like what you did to the doctors, boosting the demand for my product,” she said. “How may I help you?”

“Weapons. I’m looking for something good enough to take down a particular Noble: Gumbrawl.”

“Ah, that one’s a tough sonuva bitch,” she said. “What did you have in mind?”

“A cryo-gun.”

She held up her large, rough hands. They had scars on their palms. “Now wait just a fuckin’ minute, don’t you have ice-based abilities?”

“I do,” I nodded. “But, a fight with someone who wasn’t a Noble left me in pretty bad shape. I’m not sure how well I’ll be able to perform should I come across Gumbrawl again.”

“Well, I wonder what could’ve pulled a feat like that off?” she questioned. “And you say ‘again’? So you’ve fought him before?”

Her questions were making me believe this was a setup after all. I began to signal Aura Ray to call for Vice and Vulcon, but she wasn’t finished.

“Ah, you don’t have to tell me. You said you needed a cryo-gun right? Let me check our inventory,” she said, clicking away at her computer. “While I do this, can I interest you in purchasing some of my serum product? It might not be as good as those doctors, but there’s no guarantee it can’t make you stronger.”

“I’m okay.”

“Suit yourself,” she said. “Okay…let’s see. Cryo-g--”

Shouting came from the lobby. I signaled Aura Ray immediately and she made the call. I made sure to let Vice and Vulcon know beforehand that Aura Ray wouldn’t say anything. Just to come if she called. Now that they were on their way, it was time to stall with whatever awaited me in the lobby.

More shouting and it increased in volume until shots were fired. The number of shots being let off swiftly decreased as it seemed like one winner was clear. Ant withdrew his pistol and Maker’s “mannequin” readied itself, removing its black and green blade from the sheath. 

In walked Rose, guns drawn, clothes bloodied. Her eyes looked dead, but they were glowing yellow and they met with my eyes.

2