Chapter Fifty-Four
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Fifty-Four

 

Author’s Note: Back to Amaia’s point of view. 

 

I reappeared in the giant ice cube I created before our battles. As my portal disappeared, I glanced next to me to see two identical portals. I wasn’t aware of who won their battles, so I readied myself to fight three more Archs and a Noble if need be.

But they came through. Adriel came through his portal and Rose came through hers. They’d won. We’d won. I nodded at the two of them and they each flashed a small grin as I lowered the cube to see Asai’s forces had dwindled a significant amount. There was an insane amount of heat coming from her direction and I realized most of her forces had been burned alive by the protective and loyal Vulcon. 

I spun around to see the two of them on top of the building and they smiled back at me and waved. 

Time slowed and I was too late as a green flash appeared next to Vulcon. Even though time seemed to slow around me, I was able to see Lux moving at an insane speed that gave Vulcon no time to react or feel as Lux punched through his stomach with such force, it sent Vulcon over the edge of the building. I thought he was granted a swift death until I saw a bright green flicker from within the hole in his stomach before he exploded mid-air.

The explosion knocked off a huge chunk of the building, causing Aura Ray to fall. He would have gone for her next had Adriel not tackled the Noble out of the sky and into the Alpha Corps Keep building. I turned to glare at Asai, expecting a taunting look, but she had a look of defeat across her face. It made sense as I had taken her entire personal army away from her bit by bit. But I was expecting some sort of relief as she finally got to release her final trump card. 

“I never expected it to get to this point,” I heard her say as I caught Aura’s falling, unconscious body. “If someone told me that I’d lose everyone, I would’ve called them a fucking liar.”

“Well, maybe if you knew how to treat people,” I heard another voice say. It was one I didn’t recognize too well. I looked next to me to see the kids we rescued from the Keep. 

“Where’d you go?” I questioned, shutting my mind off when it came to Vulcon’s death. 

“We were right here!” the silhouetted kid said. So this proved my theory about Psyna messing with our minds before Rose ported us away. Rose walked up next to me, guns drawn and light constructs out. 

“Amaia. What’s the plan? Adriel’s only hold out for so--” A pillar of light shattered the center of the Keep building, destroying it further. “--long.”

“We can help!” The kids said collectively. I looked down at them and considered it, but the worst case scenario popped into my head. And seeing Vulcon explode a minute ago didn’t help. 

“No. We need to get you all somewhere safe--”

“Oh, come on! We’re not gonna get another chance to get back at her for what she did to us!” One of the twins said. She had glowing pink irises. As I couldn’t help but stare into her vengeful little eyes, my mind shot back to what happened with Lance and May.

I crouched down in front of her and place a hand on her shoulder, holding back the ice from seeping out. 

“I…I’m sorry, kid. I…can’t continue to put others at risk for my selfish mission,” I said. I looked up at Rose who had a determined look on her face. She was a soldier through and through, ready to follow orders at a moment’s notice. I stood up and continued facing her. “I need you to get them out of here. And…don’t come back until I reach out to you.”

“Fuck no.”

“Rose--”

“Have you forgotten what the deal was? I’m supposed to see this through!”

“Actually, the deal was for this mission to change the world. And I think we’re way past that point,” I corrected. Another flash of green light came from within the building, followed by a spark of lightning. “Adriel doesn’t have much time. Go!”

“How are you gonna find me?”

“I’ll find Erza. If you don’t hear from me in a few days, then I’m dead. Take Aura too,” I said, handing over Aura Ray. Rose had no words left. She opened a portal before she and the kids looked back at me. Then they walked through. 

Adriel’s body shot out through the front entrance of the Keep and flopped next to me. In the darkness of the building flickered the bright green light of the final Noble, Lux. He stormed out the front with both of his arms glowing fully, flowing with green energy. His face was shrouded in shadow and the only part I was able to see were his glowing green eyes. 

“Yep,” Adriel groaned as he sat up and struggled to his feet. “Motherfucker’s a final boss.”

“How did he even get this strong? Doesn’t he only have the serum?” I asked. Laughter came from behind. Asai was back to taunting.

“Is that what you think?” she said. “Not only does he have BOTH serums flowing through his veins, but he’s a descendant of one of the only half angel, half demon hybrids! He was chosen a LONG time ago, technically making him the greatest Arch!”

“So, he’s like…my super-grand-cousin?” Adriel asked, ignoring the reveal Asai’s maniacal self just provided.

“Shit.” I like to think I gave a more realistic reaction. 

“Where’d the others go?” Lux spoke. His voice echoed like there was more than one person speaking within him. “I wasn’t finished wiping them out in front of you.”

“Spoken like a true hero,” I taunted and smirked. I began sweating as I was rightfully fearful of this battle. 

“We’re way past those labels. Violence only begets more violence. At this point…” His green energy shifted in color from green to black. “...we’re all villains.”

1