Chapter 7 – Cresenberg Academy
460 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A good night sleep later, it was the day of enrolment. Needless to say, Elliana was already up before everyone else was. 

Within a record timing for Elliana, she was dressed and sported her usual twin-tail look. When she was finally satisfied, she went over to Lilia's room. 

[Muuu, Elly onee-chan, its still dark outside...]

[E.l.l.i.a.n.a! And wake up you sleepy head!] 

Giving up, Lilia went back to sleep. Not letting this disrespect go unpunished, Elliana called her personal maid in. With skill and a lot of soap, Lilia was quickly bathed and dressed up nicely in her uniform. Elliana placed her arms onto her hips and nodded at the sight of her handiwork. As they left, her twin brother Landon waved goodbye at the ragdoll that was his sister and went back to sleep.  

Moving as fast a lady was allowed to, Elliana jogged with Lilia on her back to my room and entered as quietly she could managed. The maid stopped them before Elliana barged into the room. Ah, of course, Elliana cursed as she remembered.

There was a few time where Elliana barged in without knocking and was greeted by Alicia's throwing knives that she subconsciously threw in her sleep. Of course, the maids were trained to deal with any situation but even Elliana will be scared to death if there was the chance of being knifed whenever she barged in, and the knife was lodged into a very thick dictionary would make anyone think twice.

Lilia, with her limited strength, started to hit her sister on the back. Letting her down, Lilia immediately got off and sleep walked over to Alicia's bed and pomf herself into her favourite place, in between their onee-sama's bosom. Elliana grinded her teeth and calmed herself down. Today, she will not be triggered by those...those lumps.

The maid took her leave and left her master to her own devices. Elliana sighed and started to poke around the room. If Alicia onee-sama was sleeping so deeply, snooping around will prove to be bountiful. She could even find some secrets, like Cecilia's special lotion for her skin and Johann's hair gel for that special finish.

[Elliana...] 

The 6th sister jolted as Alicia mumbled her words, sitting up with a knife in her hand. 

[Touch my belongings and I'll poke you. Lilia, stop drooling all over my pyjamas..] 

Elliana stopped and went to sit down at the table. She swore she could hear the knife sliding back into its holster as Alicia went back to sleep. The maid entered again with Alicia's personal maid, each holding a tray of breakfast. Elliana swore she will find out her sister's secret. She thought to herself as she encouraged herself.


It took awhile before I managed to push myself off the comfy bed. The sun was just up and Elliana was playing with the tea cup she was drinking from. I dumped the little bundle of hair onto my bed and stretched. Elliana was having her breakfast already, with her personal maid pouring her a cup of tea. Miriam watched and observed her senior as she prepared the tea with perfect precision.

[That's how you do it, Miriam. Practice more and I'm sure you get the hang of it.]

[Thank you, Priscilla-san!]

Miriam nodded and started to imitate how her senior did it. 

[Good morning, Alicia-sama. Breakfast is ready, would you like me to draw the bath first or would you like to eat first?]

Ah, I see. I almost forgot that today is the enrolment day. No wonder Elliana was here so early in the morning. I rubbed my eyes for a moment and gathered my thoughts. I barely remembered the part where Elliana was trying to sneak around my belongings. I glanced at the girl who was trying very hard to act natural. I gently pulled Lilia away from my chest and got off the bed.  

[Hnnn...I would like to eat first. I suppose we have enough time?]

[Yes, we do. The enrolment won't be starting for another few hours, your highness.]

[Alright, thank you...Priscilla-san.]

The senior maid whispered to Miriam and the two of them immediately headed off to complete their tasks. I freshened up and sat down at the table with Elliana, who was in the middle of her meal. I stare at her for a moment until she greeted me in the most unnatural way she could think of. Really, this girl... 

[Lilia, come and have your breakfast before it gets cold.]

Lilia took a seat next to me and yawned. I thought for a moment about something that I could use to perk her up. If she stays like that, she'll sleep past the morning. I whispered into her ear  and her eyes open wide after her brain managed to process it.

[Really, Alicia onee-chan?]

[Yes, I promise. Besides, I thought you like to try something new. Let's try doing that when we are back home, ok?]

[Mmm, Mmm! Yay!]

Elliana was in awe at how fast Lilia changed from her 'worm' state to her usual self. She stare incredulously at me. 

[How do you even do that, Alicia onee-sama. It's impossible to wake her up unless mother threatens her...]

[I used something else to motivate her, that's all. Don't worry, you're included too.]

[Eh?]

[Fufu, look forward to it, alright? It won't be anything tough.]

Elliana nodded, puzzled at what could possibly motivate her little sister. 

After that wonderful meal, I went to take my morning bath. The two sisters started to play with each other, occasionally throwing spells at each other. I stepped out to see a small barrier around them, which was supported by Priscilla. Looking at that sight of spells flying all over in that barrier, I wondered what I could possibly learn at the academy. I know all the theory but I can't really physically cast spells. I think I can just stay at the library for the time being but that's only a temporary solution before trouble comes looking for me.

As if addressing my concern, the little spirit appeared before me and danced around. Well, it was the thought that counted. 

Dressed in the uniform and their signature blazer with combat skirt, the uniform snuggly fitted my body like always. My knives were neatly attached on the belt that came with the uniform, since it was rather obvious if I wore the leg attachment with the stockings.

The two sisters peeked from the table, enjoying the view. Well, the skirt was always terribly designed, especially during the windy season. That usually earned a punch out among the group of people that actually dare to do so and a week of punishment.

[So, how is it?]

[It's great, onee-chan!]

[I-It's certainly a wonderful sight, not that it's better than mine!]

I rolled my eyes at Elliana's remark and just patted them on the head. Spending all this time, we still have time to make our way to the academy and look around. We made our way down to the mall hall when Lilia and Elliana had enough of loafing around in my room. Our small group consisting of the maids and us sisters were greeted by the rest of the servants. A old man waited for us at the door, greeting us as we approached.

I saw the old man a few times in my previous life but I never interacted with him. If my memory serves me today, I remember him being the personal attendant to the lords. Plus being a A rank adventurer, he served as a personal instructor to Johann and Richard. 

[Good morning, your highnesses. Unfortunately, Fernando-sama and Felicia-sama are unavailable at the moment to see you all off. I'll be accompanying you all to the academy in their stead. I'm terribly sorry.]

[Thank you, Henrich-san.]

[Your 4th highness, it's only my duty. Please, come this way. The carriage is ready and able to go anytime.]

[Let's go, Alicia onee-sama!] 

With Elliana so pumped, Henrich ushered us all to the carriage was waiting. The rest got onto the carriage while I slowly walked with the old butler.

[Alicia-sama, my lord wanted to sent you a message. He says, 'stay out of trouble and enjoy what the academy has to offer'.]

[Fufu, that certainly sounds like what father would say. I'll try but I guarantee nothing. After all, I will defend myself if needed.]

The old butler smiled and nodded. 

[I'll convey that to the master.]

With everyone seated nicely in the carriage, the two maids sat opposite of us while I had Lilia on my lap with Elliana next to me. I occasionally petted the girl while we looked outside at the scenery.

We had to travel a distance to where we could transfer the academy. It was in a field that was just outside the city, the usual way for students to travel to the academy. There were other ways but it was usually reserved for the staff and important people. Some such ways were either the use of a teleportation scroll or some form of fast transport.

As we got close, we saw a number of carriages that were lined up. There were academy staff and senior students guiding the carriages along the dirt path. As soon as it was our turn, Henrich stopped the carriage and opened the door for us. The maids got off first and prepared the luggage to be transferred. We followed suit, with Henrich helping us.

Elliana and Lilia were in awe, again, as they started looking around the area. There were students just like them, full of curiosity and excitement. Some were crying in a hug with their parents, scared of this new environment that they were suddenly thrown into. So many new friends for them to make.

After two checks of the our carriage, I thanked Henrich as he got back on the carriage. 

[ There's no need to thank me, your highness. We'll shall see each other again in a few months.]

[Thank you, Henrich. It was a short time but the trip was very comfortable.]

[You flatter me. Priscilla, please take care of her highnesses and our young maid in training.]

With our farewells, Henrich took the reins and started to leave. 

[Very well, shall we head for the portal?]

[[Okay!]]

With the two sisters holding my hands, our small group headed for the portal. We garner stares as we walked past, some of the academy staff and students looked at us. There were whispers of 'The Scorned' and sometimes 'The white-haired devil'. Why, I swore there was more names than those two. Some students even moved away from me, like I was a walking curse. 

[Onee-chan...]

[It's alright, Lilia. This is nothing that I can't handle.]

I ignored them and soon we reached the portal, where a line of students were already waiting for their turn to be transported up. The maids bade us goodbye as they joined the other queue for the servants. With Priscilla guiding my poor maid, I am sure she will be fine for now.

As we waited and watch the portal glow, a large group of students suddenly appeared. I could see a carriage that was marked with the symbol of royalty. I can figure a few guesses at who was the one causing such a commotion.

[Onee-chan, who is that? There's so many people around her.]

[Lilia, you forgotten about the day we were in the cathedral? There was a certain important figure at that time with us, remember?]

[Ohhh!]

[There's so many people like last time, onee-sama.]

[Is our Elliana considering joining them?] 

[Hmph!] 

She's too proud to do that. I chuckled and gently locked my fingers with hers. 

Yes, of course it was the Princess, who else could it be? Just like last time, there was a crowd of students around her and this time there were guards that followed behind her.

Their official title was the Royal Guards. Dressed in full body armour made of the best materials and their holy weapon blessed by the bishop, they also had their emblem engraved onto their shields and helmets. This was a magical crest that blessed the royal guards, which provided them with a power up whenever they needed it. This makes them a formidable foe even when facing one of them.

One usually see three royal guards in a team and there will be a tank, magician and healer. This was the same concept taught in the academy also, if there was a limit of team members, the smallest will be a group of three.  

Anyway, back to the royal guards. The only way to make it quick is to pierce through their magic defences, since their equipment was not meant for taking down human targets but demons. It's really a pain to slice through their armour with strength alone...

While I was reminiscing about my unfortunate time with the guards, Elliana quickly pulled on my sleeve. 

[Onee-sama...!]

[Hey, you three! Make way for the princess!] 

Oh, right. There we go, here comes one of the nobles. A boy of noble status came over to the queue and started by puffing his chest at us, showing off his family crest. I raised my brow and glanced towards the princess's direction. Her little group was still far away, this one was just trying to get some brownie points...

I sighed and cross my arms.

[No. Wait in line like everyone else.]

[H-huh?!]

[Do I have to repeat myself? Everyone here is also waiting for their turn to go to the academy, are you trying to stir something up before school has even started? Did you even think for a second about the princess?]

I stare at the boy who took a second before he recoiled. He quickly looked around for help but no one bothered. Who would even dare to help this boy who is talking to the Scorned one? Fufufu. 

Very quickly, the boy was stuck trying to piece his words together and ran back to the group.  

After the nuisance was gone, Lilia pulled on my sleeve and gave me a thumbs up. This cheeky girl. I bopped her on the forehead and smiled back at her. Elliana stopped applying her death grip on my hand and only smiled. Was she still affected by what happened to her and Lilia in the cathedral? 

[It's alright, Elliana. I'm here, don't worry.]

Ah, she blushed. 

[H-Hmph! There's no need to worry about me!]

If she insists. If I force her, she gets angry and starts to push back. 

As we waited for our turn, the princess's group caught up to the queue, standing just behind a few students behind us. The interesting thing was that a lot of people were waiting for us, or rather, me to go up the portal. Who would want to get in line with someone that was a Scorned? The ones that did join the queue either did not know or do not care to bother. 

While the staff tried not to get involved with that, they immediately went to handle the large group of students that were with the princess.

The students were ordered to separate to form another line. Despite their complaints, it was not before long that another line was formed next to ours. Looks like there will be no student trying to get into the good graces of the princess for the time being. Even the princess herself looked relieved. 

There was only a female student that was with the princess. Someone who served as her personal knight, in this case, a knight in training. Other than that, I can only recall that her name was Elena, someone that has a strong affinity with fire. Ah, she noticed me staring at her. I returned my attention to the sisters and ignored them.

Finally, we were the next group to be teleported up. It was a giant magic circle that we were standing on. Beneath it was a pool of holy water, the main catalyst of the needed ingredient to perform such a massive teleportation, which also includes equipment and luggage. A group of mages that were resting got up and stood around the circle. Their job was to ensure our safety and the prevention of missing body parts. 

[Listen now, stay still and close your eyes! Remember, this is everyone's first time here! You might feel giddy or even the urge to vomit! But rest assure, nothing will go wrong unless someone tries to be a fool!]

The head mage in charge of the portal yelled at our group, making sure that everyone was able to hear.

As soon as the head mage made sure that his instructions was clear, he started the chant. 

A magic wall appeared as he initiated the spell. Everyone closed their eyes, praying hard for a safe transfer. I began to cast some spells to help the two sisters to have a safe travel. Although I could not cast any spells, I could only utilize the concept of physical enhancement by forcing my mana circuit to empower my body. It was a cursed skill that I found while wandering around in the library. 

Someone as useless as me back then could also be an adventurer for a price. As a result of that exchange, my body's magic circuit was ruined by the time I was mid-level adventurer. Even if I could cast spells then, the body would be in pain. Every enchantment was like stabbing knives into my body.

But now...

It's a very happy feeling. The flow of mana that once pained my whole body was something that I enjoyed.

Elliana and Lilia looked at me as they started to feel the changes. I could only smile at them and closed my eyes. In a blink of an eye, our group appeared right before the gates of the academy. With my enhancement protecting Elliana and Lilia, they only felt a shift change in balance and cling onto me. The rest of the student were all in terrible shape than us. Some were vomiting and most of them were lying on the ground groaning in pain. The princess and her guard were trying their best not to vomit, so that was a rare time when someone was able to endure the after effects. 

Well, at least there were no missing limbs this time.

After a couple of minutes of cleaning up by the academy staff, we were all waiting for someone to guide us to the academy. There was a set of stairs we were suppose to climb, a initiation of sorts for the new students. To me, it was just a lousy way to make it fancy and saying that they did not want to risk any possible deaths by making the transfer distance longer. 

The servants were spared however, so only students are only able to climb up. 

[Welcome to Cresenberg Academy.]

A soft, soothing voice echoed from above. Everyone looked up. A lady with wings flew down and landed before us, her skirt was still able to kept her modesty intact as if there was magic holding it down. I could barely remember but I could recall there was a  teacher that was from the angel race, which was rare in itself since angels rarely made contact with the human race. 

[My name is Angelina, the vice-principal of the academy. I welcome you all from different races that will be joining us to learn and become great adventurers in their own right.]

The students around me started to whisper about the teacher, things like about her wings, her chest and her wings. With her angelic garb, it was hard to conceal anything about her that was not provocative. She ignored the whispers and gestured towards the stairs.

[Now, as for our custom. We are all to climb the stairs to the main hall of the academy. Please join me as long as possible as we climb.]

As she finished her introduction, she started climbing up the stairs without missing a beat. Her wings flapped with every step, it was very nice to stare at. It reminds me the fluffiness when Lilia hugs me. The students started to follow her, their face filled with worry and anxiety. I also thought that I would be kicked out when I came here the first time...

[Elliana, Lilia, don't worry. Just don't let go of my hand, okay?]

[[Ok, onee-chan!]]

With the physical enhancement still in effect, they probably could run a dozen miles around the academy and barely feel any fatigue. Best to get this over with by cheating through this set of stairs.

A long fifteen minutes later, the ones who were left were just the three of us. Really , even the princess's guard stopped to help support her master. I caught the vice principal staring at me as we caught up with her. She was visibly surprised at how we were able to keep up for sure and was curious as she kept looking back at us but I was not going to share anything. We over took her and continued on. And not long after, Lilia gave up and pouted. 

[I want to sleep...] 

[Fufu, alright. Climb on my back Lilia. Elliana, are you still okay?] 

[Of course! But I have to say onee-sama, this was not what I expected for our first day.] 

[Well, so did the rest of the students.]

The two of us sighed. I understand what Elliana meant. I glance back to check on Lilia, who was already asleep. The vice principal was slowly catching up us but this time casting her magic spells as she climbed.

She was casting a blessing that allowed the rest of the students to continue climbing. With her angelic blessing, they were able to keep moving at the expense of her mana. But this was child's play for an angel of her calibre. The number of wings that she had showed how powerful an angel was and for the record, she had six out of eight. 

Suddenly...

[I see.] 

[???!] 

Out of nowhere, there was this voice that echoed in my head. I almost tripped because of how loud it was. I quickly broke the fall with both of my hands, shattering part of the stairs. At least Lilia was hugging so tightly around my neck that she barely moved. My heart was beating very hard at the fact that Lilia might fall.

[Onee-sama?!] 

[It's okay, I... just missed a step. Is Lilia alright?] 

[She went back to sleep when you broke your fall...]

Really now, this imp.

Elliana tried to help me up, but it was hard with her trying to carry the weight of two people. The vice principal then came to us and lent us a hand. 

I wondered if that sudden telepathy message was from her?

[I apologize, Alicia von Branstein. There was a slight interference with the telepathic link, hence the loud echo you just heard. I believe it was the enhancements you have activated on at that time that interfered with the link.]

[...]

[I can see your apprehension towards the academy. But, please rest assure-]

[I kindly refuse anything you have to offer.] 

[Why?]

[I have no interest in associating with any of the staff. Especially if they all comes from a place that detests someone who is a Scorned. If I wasn't a Branstein now, I doubt any of you here would even bother to allow me to enter. So please forgive if I find you suspicious as well, Angelina-sensei.]

[Indeed, there seems to be case in the academy. Very well, I've taken notice of your opinion. I hope we can chat soon, Miss Alicia. Before I leave you to finish the trial, I can only say as one of high ranking angels, the goddess has never forgotten about any of her child. I'll see you again.]  

The link between us was severed after that. The vice principal made sure that we were ok and continued to make her way up.

Never forgotten about me, huh. I would not be back here if the goddess has ever cared.  

Without any more accidents, we finally reach the end of our ridiculous climb. The moment the last student reached the top, the vice principal casted a spell that healed and invigorated us. 

Plus the spell made Lilia wake up, which is a plus. 

When the vice principal saw everyone was all healed up, she then began to cast another spell. When it was complete, we were all brought to a large hall, where there were other students that were like us all seated and waiting. There were staff members that I recognized standing around and some that I could not remember. The sun shined gently through the stained glass from above, healing anyone who bathes underneath it. 

As we took our seats, we were given some time to rest to wait for the last few batches of students to arrive. I rolled my eyes at the thought of having to listen to long speeches. I went ahead and choose a row of chair that was far away from the podium. Choosing a seat on the farthest right, I made sure that only Elliana was able to take the seat next to me and placed Lilia on my lap, like usual. 

People were staring at us as the other students took their seats. Some even started to whisper right behind me. I wished I have brought my earplugs now. 

[That's the Scorned girl...] 

[Aren't those two from the Branstein family?] 

[I heard a rumour that the Scorned girl defeated a Cerberus.]

[Are you serious? Knock it off!] 

All the chattering was about me and the event that occurred in the cathedral. It repeats over and over until some of the staff had to come over and ask them to keep quiet. 

It was peace and quiet until the last group arrived. When they were all nicely seated and ready, the Principal finally came entered the room and started waving to everyone . Like I remembered, the Principal was a female half-demon and half-human, possessing attributes of a demon that was somewhat diluted in order to fit with its human bloodline. As such, she had horns and a tail but had human skin tone. She was dressed smartly in a tight blouse that pushed her chest out and black skirt with a slit up to her thigh. 

[Mike test. Angelina, can you hear me, darling?] 

A bolt of holy thunder zapped the spot she was standing, with her barely dodging it. She coughed awkwardly as the rest stare in disbelief. 

It might seem obviously but I was not sure of what her demonic race was but it seems to be more on the side of seduction, judging from the reactions from all of the male students. She was really beautiful in my opinion so it probably was something like that. I did interacted with her a few times during my previous life but it was all mostly polite talk. I know she did not discriminate against people who became Scorned, something that she adamantly held onto until her sudden departure during my first few years. That was all probably due to internal politics in the academy, I assumed.

From there, the new head changed all the academy policies back to the olden ones. Including the ones that allowed demi humans and Scorned to be admitted in. 

Anyway, her speech was very brief and on point, which already earned her admirers. But to the older staff, she was someone that tarnished the good name of the academy. But her capabilities as an adventurer was well-known, which was something I learnt when I just started to be an adventurer. 

[For the next several years of your life, I hope everyone here will get along. The facilities for your growth is all here but it's how you make use of it. Scorned or not, Demi or not, show your power to the world!]  

She looked in my direction for a moment and then spread her hands out. 

[Welcome to Cresenberg Academy! Thy school of possibilities!] 

18