Chapter 13
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I drift from unconsciousness, the wiggling of my mind gone. I should be dead, for real this time. That had to have been the being, it literally said:

“I just need to get my teleportation back from her.” It’s voice was so scared, it reminds me of myself. Maybe the being is... misunderstood? I start looking around. The being falling to the back of my mind.

I’m still in the alley, at least. Nighttime, hopefully the same day. If it’s the same day it’s been about 16 hours. Wind’s training is helpful for analyzing a situation and combat, but I don’t know what to do here. Do I walk home? No, that’s what the being wants me to do. It wants me to lead it to her, otherwise I’d be dead.

My night vision is...terrifying, I could never see like this before! I move to stand up and my legs shudder under my weight. I’m tired and thirsty. Wait, couldn’t you leave an immortal in the desert without clothes and they’ll die of dehydration? Perhaps that’s what genies come from. Immortals so badly sunburned that they’re glowing red. How would you regenerate from dehydration?

I need to stop questioning things right at this moment, what should I do now? I can’t lead the being to wind...Or... could I? I could lead them straight to her. No, then I’d die immediately after. I still want to go home, and see my mom and dad again. I don’t know if I’m even in the same state as them anymore. Everyone I ask says Mississippi, but I don’t recognize anything.

My Friends won’t be there to welcome me either. My parents aren’t looking. What’s the move here. Maybe I can warn Wind somehow? Wait... she said to yell her name if I need her, like a 911 call. She didn’t promise but she’s not somebody who wouldn’t show up.

If the being is watching, maybe I can get their attention. Then yell Wind? I would need bait, the bait of another immortal who has lived long enough to gain multiple powers. Why Wind decided to lie to me about that concerns me. She’s sheltered me to avoid me learning anything more than the basics. I can’t trust her anymore, but that doesn’t make me want to give her to the being. It will kill me as soon as it has killed her.

I need to calm down, My thoughts are racing as fast as my heart.

I need to calm down. Air goes in,

.

.

.

Air comes out. I just need to act slowly and rationally. I breathe in once more.

Out again, my heart is still trying to beat out of my chest. I can’t focus. I don’t see a next move, there’s no strategy to take from here.

That’s it.

I need to just take a step, get the ball rolling. If I can use the training wind has been giving me to cause a big enough ruckus, then yell her name. She can get us both out, probably.

I need to make something blow up after a set amount of time. She never told me how to make a bomb though. There’s no book shop, but there is multiple restaurants. I can take at least a few chef’s right? Pull the fire alarm, start some gas. Then use a match or... hmmm I’ll work it out as I go, the general plan is there.

...

I take a step into the backdoor of cheesy-fish pizza, no employees. I start walking towards where I can hear the banging of dough on boards and knives on wood.  I keep walking for a few moments, then pause.

Wait, a pizza place won’t have enough stoves.

I turn around and walk out quietly, before heading next door to Beeve’s bar and burgers. I hope this place is insured or something. This kitchen has banging pots and pans, the sizzle of frying meat. The slight stench of alcohol, faintly tickling my nose, permeates to the back area I entered. I start walking forward, only for 2 waiters to rush out of the kitchen.

They’re carrying platters covered with tankards of beer and cocktails. I see a woman chugging one such tankard at the bar, while a man sitting next to her slowly drinks from his.

I look for a fire alarm switch in the back area, cmon it has to be..Ahha! I pull the switch and instantly the fire alarm start blaring, tipsy customers begin slinking away in a panic. I walk quickly over to the crowd of people leaving. Chefs come out of the kitchen while I begin sneaking my way through the fortunately thick crowds, oh I’m so lucky that these people are drunk and aren’t looking for the fire.

The chefs are looking around the back area I was previously in, so I sneak into the kitchen from another door and pump every stove I can find to max. The air begins to get very unfun to breathe.

I look around for any form of fire starting tool, I can’t find one on top of the stoves. I look around in drawers and on the floor, finding a chewed on match that barely has it’s head left on. I take a deep sulfuric breath and say “Wind” while grinding the match against a knife holder’s wooden surface. Nothing happens the first time. I try to light the match again and...

Bang. That’s probably all you want to know. Fire exploded from the match, my entire body went up in flames. I could barely hear through the roar of fires when Wind picked me up as pain lit up everywhere and I felt a wrench in my gut. I can’t see very well. This hurts.

She really came, I got away. Ow, going to just die on the floor here, wherever here is.

 

 

 

1