Chapter 22 – Thick-faced to beg for a ride
35 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XG 22 -  Thick-faced to beg for a ride

 

Mr Kwan then introduced Vihaan to the man with him. "Mr Ember, this is Mr Kumar, one of the mall's floor managers. Mr Kumar, this is Mr Ember, one of our top shareholders."

 

From the polite attitude Mr Kwan had shown towards Mr Ember, it was clear that the CFO was the one that brought the shareholder here, in exchange for getting a free ride out. This attitude was also to ensure he will have a smoother path in rising his position in the future if he manages to gain a good impression from Mr Ember.

 

Not everyone thinks that this infectious disease would bring severe and permanent damage to society. They believe that the government would solve the problem sooner or later, along with the introduction of the cure. 

 

Everyone's life will continue.

 

But among them, only Suzie Yap knew with confidence that everyone's lives would change, for the better or worse. She knew that there were groups of people that preferred doomsday and acted like kings. Regardless of whether they like it or not, adaptability is important to keep yourself sane in this new era.

 

Chen Yibo walked around the rooftop and Wong Xue Guo followed, noticing there was a spot designed for the helicopter to land. 

 

She approached the edge of the building and carefully eyed down, as she was afraid of zombies able to climb up and reach the rooftop. She does not know if those inside the mall will be able to hear the sound of the helicopter once it arrives.

 

When that time comes, both survivors and zombies will rush here if the sound filtering was weak.

 

The height and the dark sky made it hard for Wong Xue Guo to look down clearly, but the police lights on the car were clearly visible, along with their loud siren. It was a miracle that no zombies had charged out from the building from the sound alone.

 

“They had sealed the place.” Chen Yibo had seen the yellow tape circling around the building area.

 

By now, it was clear the only way to leave this building without restriction was the helicopter. So how would her mother bring them out of here without taking that mode of transportation? 

 

Worried, Wong Xue Guo walked around the rooftop, collecting sharp weapons here and there, before encountering a large machine that looked out of place.

 

Chen Yibo, who was following Wong Xue Guo immediately recognized it. “That is a carriage!” He hurried to the edge of the rooftop with wires connected to the machine and confirmed it was the elevator usually used by the workers to do window cleaning.

 

Wong Xue Guo was not familiar with this device and asked Chen Yibo a question that matters the most. “Can this be used to get us to the bottom?”

 

“Yes, if our weight does not exceed the capacity.” Even if it sounded greedy, Chen Yibo hoped they could all go down in just one trip. 

 

Both of them hurried back to the group to share the good news. Wong Xue Guo immediately tugged her mother’s arm for her attention and whispered what she found. 

 

Suzie Yap smiled fondly at her daughter and caressed her head. “Baby, you have done well. If you have not found it, we will have to jump down from the roof.” At her daughter’s blank stare, Suzie Yap elaborated, “Just like how the rock climber does.”

 

Wong Xue Guo's mind screamed, 'It’s different!!!' Σ(°△°|||)︴

 

"I had heard your conversation, which is the reason why I would come here," Vihaan confessed to the two men.

 

"I do not mind bringing all of you along," Mr Ember kindly offered, smiling generously. 

 

Mr Kwan frowned. "You are as kind as ever, Mr Ember. However, Mr Kumar, the helicopter has limited space."

 

"My helicopter could only hold six passengers," Mr Ember said rather apologetically. 

 

Mr Kwan faced Vihaan with a sharp gaze. "You will have to pick four among you. I hope this will be a peaceful negotiation."

 

"A helicopter will come for us too, so it will be enough for all of us!" Low Lin Ya stepped out to speak after getting increasingly displeased at the other party's attitude of offering leftovers to them. 

 

"Is that so?" Mr Kwan's gaze became a degree friendlier. "Then we do not need to worry, as long as there's no other newcomer."

 

"I only need to secure a seat for this child." Vihaan patted Kim Sung-Ho's back. 

 

"You aren't coming?" Kim Sung-Ho asked anxiously, his hands immediately clenched tightly. 

 

"I will be thick-faced to beg for a ride with Suzie," Vihaan smiled at Suzie Yap, who arched an eyebrow in response. 

 

"If you are sure, I will welcome you aboard."

 

"I will also be following Mrs Wong, so there is no need to reserve a space for me," Cheng Yibo spoke up, earning a surprised look from his cousin. 

 

"Me too!" Chen Jiang An followed before asking his cousin with a low voice. "Why?"

 

"You should go with them. I'm following Mrs Wong because they will be meeting my family in Korea," Chen Yibo explained.

 

"I'm following you," Chen Jiang An immediately locked his decision after hearing his reason. What would his parents say if they knew he left his cousin alone?

 

"Your family is here, why are you following me?" Chen Yibo asked.

 

"I will be dropping by home first, and it's no trouble to send your cousin back." Suzie Yap shared with them her plan. 

 

"I'm following then!" Chen Jiang An cheered. When he goes back home, he will toss the matter of his cousin to his father to decide. 

 

"Hold on." Nurul Hanani gazed at Wong Xue Guo and then at Suzie Yap. "How are you going to leave if not with us?"

 

Believing that everyone will leave with the helicopter, Nurul Hanani had never thought much about the elevator being locked, thus sealing an exit. But now Wong Xue Guo and others revealed they will not be leaving with them?

 

“We have a way,” Wong Xue Guo assured. “We are not going to the same place and my family’s bodyguards are waiting for us.”

 

“Going back into the building is too dangerous…”

 

“No, we will be going down using the carriage at the side of the building.” Wong Xue Guo pointed in the direction of the machine. Then she smiled reassuringly. “Even if there is any danger, my mother will protect us."

 

Low Lin Ya patted Nurul Hanani’s hand, silently telling her friend to give it up. Low Lin Ya already knew they would part ways after reaching the rooftop when they were waiting in the sports store. Nothing could move Wong Xue Guo once her parents spoke.

 

“I heard the helicopter sound!” Chen Jiang An was the first to notice the change in the air.

 

Low Lin Ya quickly looked in the direction where the sound was coming from and then at Nurul Hanani’s mobile phone in her hand. “It’s not ours,” she said a little disappointedly.

 

A tug on his sleeve gained Vihaan's attention from the incoming helicopter. It was the upset-looking Kim Sung-Ho, gripping his long sleeve tightly. "I want to follow you. I can protect myself."

 

"Sung-Ho, staying with me is…" Vihaan paused, trying to choose a better word to explain his family situation which would not allow him the time to take care of another extra person.

 

But Kim Sung-Ho does not want to listen. "Wherever you go, I can go too. My relatives are all in Korea. I only know and trust you in this place." 

 

Rather than following strangers, Kim Sung-Ho wanted to follow Vihaan whom his parents trusted. He felt a sense of safety with this uncle, and he also wanted to help him in return.

 

“You also have Ms Suzie and that sister to follow,” Vihaan pointed out. “They could protect you-”

 

“I feel the need to inject into your conversation before this continues,” Suzie Yap cut in, looking apologetic. “I will not be taking care of him, especially when he needs special attention. You agreed to protect him on behalf of his parents, not me. I have my hands full with my own daughter to take care of.”

 

While they were waiting for Nurul Hanani to wake up, Wong Xue Guo quickly kept her mother up to date about Kim Sung-Ho’s medical information so that her mother would not be kept in the dark when the problem arose.

 

Hearing Suzie Yap's words, Vihaan knew he could not insist on leaving Kim Sung-Ho with her. He does not blame her for saying so, for they were strangers with no obligation to help them. 

 

Vihaan felt a little burdened from seeing the dependence in Kim Sung-Ho’s eyes. He told himself that he had already fulfilled Supervisor Kim’s last wish and this boy will be safe after he left this place by helicopter. But he could not stop remembering his nephew who would be around the same age as Kim Sung-Ho if he was still alive.

 

It was also a great concern about Kim Sung-Ho’s nerve defect. This young boy could die without himself knowing or could be used by others to do life-threatening tasks just because he does not feel pain. 

 

Kim Sung-Ho’s eyes brightened when Vihaan’s gaze on him became accepting.

5