Chapter 39 – Mimic the actions of the good people to dub people
22 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XG 39 - Mimic the actions of the good people to dub people

 

Sipping water gingerly from a bottle through a straw, Wong Xue Guo was updating her backpack with her feminine products which she had forgotten. During this time, being a male was more desirable. Instead of bringing along all her secret stash snacks with her as she wanted, she did not make trouble and only packed stomach-filling types.

 

Like any other child, Wong Xue Guo liked eating sweets and junk food. There was once she was caught eating a packet of cheese ring, but Suzie Yap shockingly did not ban or reprimand her. Only that the next day, a dentist was invited to hold a one-day seminar for her daughter to listen to, aided by a PowerPoint presentation with gruesome pictures. 

 

Her mother’s intention worked. 

 

"Don't drink so much water. It will fix your bladder, not your throat," Kang Xunsu advised. Motioning her to face him, he passed her a box of mint candy that works for sore throats. 

 

Knowing that his words were right and drinking water hurts, she ditched the water and tossed one candy into her mouth. 

 

"Keep the whole box. Your throat won't heal that fast." Then he placed an ice pack against her bruised throat, earning a sharp hiss from the chill.

 

Wong Xue Guo wordlessly tossed the metal box into her bag with a small mumble of ‘thanks’. 

 

"It's alright to cry for Aunty Cheung."

 

He dragged a chair and sat down close to Wong Xue Guo, all the while not moving the ice bag away from her throat. As he expected, his little princess was fighting not to cry and distract herself with packing. Her red-rimmed eyes looked pitiful.

 

Typing onto her phone, she replied, [Aunty Cheung had worked dedicatedly with us for eleven years. It's a lie not to feel a sense of loss from her death, especially when it happens in my house.]

 

Wong Xue Guo opened a packet of potato chips she could not bring along and passed them to Kang Xunsu. He took it with a somber expression.

 

"Sometimes, I wonder if I'm being too extreme by telling you so much when you are still a young kid."

 

Her mother taught her to be a proper lady that could hold herself high in high society circles. From her hairstyle to clothing, it was all under her mother’s guidance. Even controlling her facial expression was on the teaching list too. 

 

It was Kang Xunsu that taught her how reality works, including some dark sides her parents do not want her to know. He had taught her to never treat hired helpers better than her family members, no matter how good, loving, and caring they were towards her.

 

Because in the end, it was your family that gave birth to you, spent money on you, and sincerely worried about you for the rest of their life.

 

It could be seen that Suzie Yap and Charles Wong were not the types to abandon their daughter, despite their distant attitude. So there was no need to fear being thrown into the street as soon as she reached eighteen years old. 

 

Kang Xunsu was also the one that hinted to her that Aunty Cheung's daughter was not thinking properly during the period where she was allowed to hang out at Wong's house. The Wong's house was not an overly fancy house, but it was enough to reveal the daughter's greed to enjoy the luxury. It was especially so when Aunty Cheung was favoured by Wong Xue Guo and the young miss even allowed her daughter to use her stuff.

 

Thus, the daughter started to approach the young miss with an impure mind and gradually increased her demands. 

 

After being enlightened by Kang Xunsu, Wong Xue Guo started to distance herself from Aunty Cheung and her daughter. She had also finally noticed the greedy eagerness in the daughter’s eyes when she often mentioned going to her room to play. It was all for the opportunity to look at her dresses and jewellery, with hopes of borrowing them.

 

Not long after that, Wong Xue Guo had no idea who did it but Aunty Cheung's daughter was no longer allowed to step into Wong's house. Aunty Cheung looked embarrassed during that period and became more dedicated to her job.

 

That experience was hammered into her mind by Kang Xunsu’s words and the daughter's actions. She learned she would never know what people were behind their friendly smiles, and should always remain sceptical of other people's good intentions. 

 

There were many good people in this world, but the bad thing was, that the bad guys always mimic the actions of the good people to dub people. 

 

[If you don't, I will suffer.]

 

If Aunty Cheung's daughter managed to gain her trust, Wong Xue Guo would be at her mercy. She would notice her scheme one day, but it would have already done some damage to her. It was lucky she had only lost the loaned-out accessories that were not returned, nor does she want them back.

 

Kang Xunsu followed her around to hold the ice bag for her while she moved around to continue packing. It took only a short while to finish and typed another question using her phone. [How many people will be following us? Will you be coming with us, brother Xunsu?]

 

"Confirm eight."

 

Wong Xue Guo was taken aback. She was not clear how many bodyguards her parents had hired, but surely it was not more than fifteen? 

 

"We got a total of seventeen bodyguards. Most of us are without family so we can leave anytime." Including Kang Xunsu.

 

[Then L.L will not be coming with us, right?]  L.L still has his mother in the old folks’ home with severe amnesia to take care of. 

 

"His mother had passed away a week ago."

 

"Ah?" Wong Xue Guo eyed Kang Xunsu blankly. "Sorry."

 

Kang Xunsu snickered. "Why apologize to me, weirdo. L.L had prepared for his mother to leave him with how much her health deteriorated, but it’s still a painful topic to him."

 

Understood. Wong Xue Guo will not mention anything about his mother to L.L.

 

She slowly typed, [Actually, it's also a good thing. She gets to leave without fear or knowledge of the apocalypse.]

 

“… Yeah.”

 

"Speaking of that, do you think those intruders with the strange powers are just like those characters in the online novels you read?"

 

Wong Xue Guo's mood improved on this topic. [You read it too. My guess is that they need to get bitten to get it, and it needs more than one bite. Did you guys check their belongings and body?]

 

Kang Xunsu sighed in disappointment. If only one could get superpowers without getting bitten. But there was no red moon, cloudy sky, or weird air that would cause humans to fall sick, where only those that survive the fever would have weird abilities. The reality was different from how things go in the apocalypse novels Wong Xue Guo had got him to read. 

 

Getting an ability after surviving the bite was still similar to some zombie novels where those bitten would fall sick before gaining an ability. However, those in the process of getting their ability usually got killed off by others that assumed they were in the process of turning into zombies.

 

"No one is perverted enough to strip down a corpse. We just looked through their pockets for their stuff but their IDs are fake and their call records are from unregistered numbers. They are prepared in case they get caught."

 

The ‘perverted’ Wong Xue Guo felt silent, unable to find the right words to defend herself.

 

 

 

 

 

3