Arc 2 Penang Island [prologue]
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arc 2 Penang Island [prologue]

 

There was a funeral going on in the Wong house, with every room brightly lit. Every mirror and object with a reflective surface was covered with red cloth to avoid the spirit of the deceased to frighten herself upon seeing her own reflection. 

 

Unlike how funerals usually were, there were no visitors arriving to pay their respect. The entire house was guarded by the bodyguards in a somber mood. No one was joking or smiling like usual.

 

The mother of the deceased sat on her knees, pressing onto the cold marble floor without a mat protecting her legs. She sat facing the coffin and there was a picture frame of her smiling daughter placed on the table with incense sticks lit. The incense urn was nearly full with numerous joss sticks lit at the same time by the mother, who was afraid her daughter would be hungry.

 

There was a small pot used to burn offerings for the spirit, which was similarly packed to the brim. Yet the mother did not stop burning the joss papers, her gaze dazed as she was lost in her memories. 

 

Aunty Cheung remained by her haggard-looking employer, her gaze full of worry and sympathy. She may be sad that her young miss had died right before reaching adulthood and in such a gruesome manner, but she could never mourn the young miss’ death as much as her biological mother. 

 

Their doors were wide open to allow the spirit of Wong Xue Guo to return. It was also because of the open doors that the other owner of the house successfully entered without trouble. 

 

Charles Wong and his men were all dressed in mourning black, looking gloomy and dangerous. Their non-smiling expression made them look even more threatening and they would be easily suspected of being criminals by the police.

 

The bodyguards recognised their seldom-seen employer and did not block his way, even if they have many complaints in their hearts about this husband and father that seldom came home. 

 

The men that came with Charles Wong respectfully waited outside, watching their boss stepping into the house. Aunty Cheung also made herself scarce, leaving the husband and wife some privacy. They should have many things they want to talk about.

 

Charles Wong’s eyes first searched for his wife, who continued burning the offerings without sparing him a glance. After reassuring himself that she was not injured, his eyes finally went to his daughter's coffin. 

 

His daughter's body was cleaned up as best as possible, with thick makeup covering her deadly pale features and shrunken cheekbones. She looked as if she was asleep, where at any moment would she open her eyes that sparkled with warmth as she gazed reverently at him.

 

He reached out his hand and lightly repositioned her hair with streaks of white. 

 

The long-sleeved pink cheongsam looked good on her, even if the length was picked to cover the wounds on her body. Surrounding her were the items she liked, which will be buried with her.

 

"I only have this one daughter. My only child."

 

Charles Wong turned to his wife as soon as she spoke, but her gaze was on her daughter's body laid on the open coffin. 

 

"I regret it. I fucking regret listening to you. I should not distance myself from her just because of fear."

 

"Darling-"

 

Suzie Yap shut her eyes in pain. "I should spend our little time together… making beautiful memories together. But I didn't and chose to hurt my baby. All because I'm a fucking coward that refuses to face the possibility of failing."

 

Her husband grew up to be the type not to let his heart lead him, with only Suzie Yap as the exception. That was why he could suggest protecting their heart by distancing themselves away from their daughter that was foretold to die young. Doing so might allow them to have the strength needed to avoid being cripplingly heartbroken when the time she left them arrived.

 

Her self-imposed distance and indifference were so painful to endure because she had to combat her yearning to get close to her daughter. Yet she still foolishly holds onto her indifference just to protect her fragile heart. She keeps telling herself there would be time to get close to her daughter after she survives the hurdle and it becomes a strong talisman to seal her heart. 

 

Some parents could be terribly cold towards their children and would not even spare some tears when they died. She could not be like them because they were different. She loves her daughter, her one and only child. She had looked forward to her birth and always told her baby in her womb that she could not wait to hug her once she came out.

 

She still remembers her tiny daughter that cried so hard when she first came into the world. She took care of her, loved her, and enjoyed the warm bundle that called her mummy sweetly. The defenceless, tiny human was completely dependent on her and would often grab onto her finger with her tiny palm that was surprisingly full of strength. 

 

The joy of motherhood lasted until Guo Guo was three years old, which was the first time Fortune Teller Sheng appeared.

 

Suzie Yap had forced herself to remain cold, ready to distance her heart in preparation for her daughter's death, yet struggling to find ways to prevent her death. Shopping and charities as hobbies worked only so far in distracting her heart. 

 

Every morning, she woke up and told herself that she would hurt less if she acted that way. Every night, she would go to sleep while counting the days left.

 

She had lied to herself so much that when that day arrived, her reckless indifference had her failed to safeguard her daughter’s safety. She should have realized the day before that fateful day would be dangerous as well!

 

The death of her daughter had the stone surrounding her heart crumble away like quicksand and revealed her true feelings. It freaking hurts when the lies were forcefully peeled away to reveal the brutal truth that she tried not to see.

 

She had realized way too late that knowing her daughter's death date was actually a gift to her. It told her the amount of time left for her to love her daughter, yet she foolishly did the opposite. 

 

She claimed to love her baby so much, yet she failed as a mother. 

 

Standing up, Suzie Yap pulled out a black sword from its sheath that was laid on the floor next to her. 

 

Pointing the end of the blade at Charles Wong, she told him with anger and regret that came too late. "Scram for this old lady. I don't want to see you for now, or I might fail to control myself and chop you up."

 

"Darling…"

 

"Scram!"

 

 

1