Chapter 2: Never leave your food source
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quietly laugh as I realize that everything just adds up. I can literally smell the irony of my life. I lick one of my wounds on my left arm: litchi, and mango. I have the taste of litchi. I spend my life running away from my name, but how can I escape my own taste? And the worse?

I am delicious.

I open up my notification log and see this.

Congratulation, you killed a man-goblin 2.

Congratulation, you killed a man-goblin 2.

Congratulation, you learned the skill Spear Mastery.

Congratulation, you are now a Beginner Spearwoman 3.

 

Man-go-blin, that tastes like mango. This place, the Gluttonous mountains, is the RR version of Toriko. This is madness. 

Looking around, the jungle is beautiful. Even better I see no man-goblin. I don’t want to leave my hidden place; I feel a bit safe. The sky is a perfect blue. There is a sun, but on the side, a red star shines for us, it must be very close. Having more time to look, I see fruits in every tree. There are even some on the ground nearby, hidden like me in the ferns. 

I bit on a bleu ball and it tastes like banana but very juicy, maybe it’s too ripe. I continue to eat it, trusting my Major poison and disease resistance. This is not bad at all and eating something calms me, and lets me appreciate the majesty of this place. There is vegetation everywhere and hidden in my fern I have the sensation to rest in a cocoon of green water. Even if the majority of the plants are green, the fruits are colorful, this creates a beautiful green painting touched by notes of blue, red, yellow, and orange.   

A fruit fall from a nearby tree and a branch is moving.  I scrutinize the tree to find what is it, on it, there is a young monkey hidden. He is small, with yellow eyes, half the size of a goblin. He is attentively watching something. Searching around me, I can count three monkeys in the trees, all of them looking at something at my right. This could be anything, but I have an intuition. There is one thing that monkey want to eat, and I can guess it taste like mangos. 

This will be a fight. I don’t think my break was more than 20 minutes, but with the Level up, and my branch in my hands I am ready. I can feel the effect of the spear mastery skill. My grip on my branch is too strong, I need to relax.

As I wait for them to come an idea passes by, I hate when the protagonist doesn’t assign their attributes and keep fifty points untouched. The effect of leveling is too great to wait after a fight. I ask the system to automatically level me up and assign evenly my points between the physical attributes. 

I can feel the excitement rising in the monkey behavior, the goblins should be close. Slowly, I stand up just enough to look on top of the ferns. Just two goblins, sniffing the air and closing on me. I take a low stance, and at the exact moment where the goblin enters my range, I stand up and strike. With my new strength, my holly branch goes break as it goes through the mango. 

The second goblin jump at me. I only see the hunger in his eyes; his mouth is wide open ready to eat my face. At the same time, I hear a monkey shooting and something rams into my back. I fall to the ground as a fucking goblin is eating my back. There is a third one! The other miss me, but he is ready to jump back to my throat. Shooting I stand up and run, I turn around and knock violently my back to a tree. It hurt both of us but the goblin falls off. With rage, I kick his head like a world cup penalty. The last goblin jumps at me but only met my fist. I can hear the sound of these broken teethes. I pick up my sorry branch and drive it in his stomach, to be sure a do the same to every goblin on the ground.

Ding

I killed them all! A short victory shoot escapes my mouth. The monkeys join me, shooting, celebrating my victory, and then they jump on the ground to eat the dead goblins. I catch my breath, smiling. I am not defenseless, I will survive.   

A monkey shoot made me focus. They are five, and some of them look at me hungrily. The smallest hiss and take a step toward me but not even a second later a big monkey hit him. The big one is even taller than a goblin and has some serious muscle, I really don’t want to fight again. When they are all back to eating, I walk away. 

I am hurt, but I can’t stop. I just limp and hope that my regeneration will save me from the blood loss. I don’t think that I made 200 meters then I fall against a tree. I stand up, I need to go. I limp until I find a new holly branch. I take a break and open my status.  

 

Litchi: level 5 Spear Beginner. 

Mana:  23/23

Blessing: living treasure.

Stat point:  0

Strength:        15          Intelligence:   23  

Dexterity:       17          Wisdom:          29    

Endurance:    19         Willpower:      18       

Class Skills: Spear mastery 6

General skills:  Pain resistance 1

 

My strength is now the triple from my base. I feel it when I punched this fucking monster. But this is just a number because my true strength is dwindling the more blood I lose. Strength alone will not save me. I also gain pain resistance, nice. This means that my wounds are even worse than I can feel.

Ok, Litchi you can do it. Remember this is a magic world. You can accomplish anything. I calm myself and concentrate on my wounds. I try to feel the magic of the blessing healing me. I feel nothing... but I mentally push to stop the bleeding on my back. I close my eye and concentrate. Nothing changes but I continue.

I just stay still, hidden. I eat the small fruits around me and try to feel the magic.

And then I realize the absurdity of the situation, I am trying to feel the magic. What is happening to me? Just a few hours ago I was at home. I was on earth, in France, in the small city of Gif-sur-Yvette. I just lost my family, my friends. As a freshly graduated engineer, I had all the advantages. I was a poor student; all my money came from scholarships and the government, but my life was without trouble. After escaping from my abusive parents my life was really nice. I was lucky. I lived in a beautiful country, had two caring sisters, a few friends, a challenging job.  What I will become? I don't want to stay here, I want to go back!

I just lost my sisters... Why?

This is bad, this break makes me think. I think too much, I always do that. I should think about survival, and keep concentrated to feel the magic. I can't let myself fall into depression; I need to be strong.

----

Sometime later I notice monkeys around me, I really don’t like that so I just walk away. I try to stay hidden but the monkeys easily follow me. Nothing changes, around me the same jungle again and again, but I imagine myself healing. I use all my will but walking in this jungle even if I was not wounded is extremely tiring. 

I take a new break against a large tree and continue my mental exercise. I imagine my flesh moving and closing my many wounds. Checking my mana and rejoice as I know it’s working. I am doing something with my magic.

Mana: 20/23

I continue to walk followed by the monkeys but the light is deeming, it will be night soon. I quickly find a nice tree, there is a good place between his big apparent roots. I could climb a tree to be safe from goblins but I know that the monkeys will lose their patience and attack me. I am their meat dispenser, but I could become their meal.

Taking notice, there is more and more monkey around me. I think around seven but they are more and more agitated. NO no no they make too many noises and are attracting the goblins; I can’t stay here. Standing up I start to walk but the monkeys are not happy. They shoot again and again jumping from branch to branch. Two minutes later a goblin is running toward me. I charge and impale him. He is alone and I kill him quickly by repeatedly bashing his head. The monkeys do not wait and jump to the now-dead man-goblin.

This is my chance to run away from them. I flee but they but not let me go and I quickly stop to run. I can’t escape from the monkey in this jungle and they know that.

So, I keep moving, I try to manage my stamina and dodge any man-goblin encounter. But each time I avoid a wandering goblin they shoot to attract it. If I do not kill it quickly, they will continue to shoot and attract even more goblins. My only solution is to be constantly on the move and kill fast.

Every time I see a goblin, I run to him to bash or impale his head. Alone or even by two it is now easy to slay them. I try to take them by surprise, to charge them. The goblins' advantage is their small size and green color making them hard to see. Fortunately, they scream when they see me and attacks headfirst.

The forest becomes redder and redder as the sun disappears and the red star takes its place. This beautiful jungle transforms itself into a red theatre where every shadow can hide a monster. It’s night but the darkness is not complete. However, it's becoming harder and harder to distinguish their green head in this hell.

I keep moving and like an automate at the sight of a goblin I run and spear it.   

The worst is not the goblins that want to eat me but the monkeys. I really hate them. Every time I try to take a break, or I fall asleep for too long they shoot. They shoot to attract the goblins and to remind me that I am their all-you-can-eat buffet.

Hopefully, I will only continue to meet goblins alone or in pairs, it's maybe because of the night.        

I must keep moving. Each time a see a goblin I pierce is throat. When they jump to eat my face; I pierce their mouth.

Congratulation, you learned the skill Pierce.

Perfect. This completes my killing trance. With this skill, I can easily pierce through them, even their head. It’s like I have a true spear instead of a branch. It takes a good chunk of my stamina but I only need one strike to kill.

By the end of the night my wounds have greatly healed, but between lack of sleep, the constant combat, my skill, the shoots, and the mental energy used to boost my regeneration, I am completely exhausted.

This place is truly a living hell.

1 Thank you a lot for starting to read my story!

0