Cat in the box
176 7 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, there I was, hurtling ... somewhere ... in the trunk of a football player's red Ford Mustang.  I had long given up trying to count turns and figure out where I was.  My cell phone was in my bookbag, in the front of the car.  At this point, I was just along for the ride.

So, this is what it feels like to be Shrodinger's cat.  I just hoped I got to live when the big bad wolf opened the box 

I don't know how long I was in there, but eventually, Caleb stopped, backed up around a corner, then stopped again.  I heard the rumble of a garage door opener, then the car backed up some more.  It stopped, the car was shut off, and the garage door struck the concrete garage floor with an ominous thud.

The trunk lid opened.  Caleb grabbed my upper arm and dragged me out of the car and through a door.  

A woman was standing at a kitchen counter, making something that would have smelled mouth-wateringly good in a normal situation.  At the table, a man was sorting through some bills.  He looked up as Caleb shoved me to the floor. "Who's that?" he demanded.

"Some guy from college," Caleb replied. "I forget his name.  He was in one of my classes last year."

"Well, why is he in our kitchen?"

"He knew I'm a wolf."

"How did he know?"

"I don't know! He just walked up to me and said I was a wolf!"

"I knew it! You screwed up! I knew if you went to college, you'd slip and someone would find out!"

"I didn't screw up!" 

"Then, how did he find out?"

"I. Don't. Know!"

I was contemplating half-shifting. That would stop the argument, but I didn't know how they would react.  Before I could, my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of another vehicle turning into the driveway.

"There's Avery," Caleb's mother spoke up for the first time.

His father answered, "Good! She can take care of him."

"Honey, you know she doesn't..."

"She will do her duty to the pack!"

A door opened, and a tall, athletic brunette walked in.  I knew I should say something, but one look, and my lizard brain said , 'Um, okay!' She was  gorgeous.

"What's all the shouting ab..., Oh." She asked, stopping when she noticed me sitting on the floor.

"He somehow figured out your brother is a werewolf," said the father.  "Take him to your room and change him!"

"But, Daaad!"

"No buts! Do it!"

As I started to get up, she grabbed me and threw me over her shoulder in a fireman's carry.  As she carried me out of the kitchen and up the stairs, she mumbled curses under her breath.  She reeked of anger and frustration.  And then, as she turned the knob on her door, she said, "He fucking knows I'm gay!"

4