Chapter 2: Last Farewell
86 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of the dirge being sung by the 'Soul Guide' from last night feels like it still vibrates her eardrum till now.

Her mind fills with the last image of her grandmother as she saw the coffin being lowered into the wet ground. The gloomy skies occasionally lighten up by the lightning that strikes every minute. Pitter pattering of rain on Aria's umbrella matches her tears that roll down from her cheeks to the ground. The burning sensation from her eyes accompanied by the swelling is not on par with the aching in her heart. Her lungs feel compressed and her head is hazy from the lack of blood supply. This is induced by her rapid breathing from crying intensely.

"Aria, you need to stop crying because your grandmother would not want to see you in this state."

The middle-aged lady in the black dress with her hair tied up in a bun walk to Aria's side with a menacing look. She proceeds to pinch Aria's waist after she finishes her speech. That lady despises her for being the favorite of her grandmother. Now that no one will stand up for her, the lady wants to start to abuse her publicly despite her grandmother's grave has yet to be covered by soils.

Aria eases her crying but her lips still tremble greatly from holding back the tears. She decides that she would not fall on the same level as her aunt. Grandmother's funeral is not the right place to make unnecessary scenes.

Three days later...

"Splosh!"

The water in the river swirls violently after her body sinking deeper into the pitch black of the river's stomach. The fluids start to swarm her lungs and Aria tries to gasp for more air which gives way to more water.

'I am going to die.'

That was playing in her mind while her vision was getting blurred out. Aria could never believe that her aunt would have such wicked thoughts. That evening Marie has informed Aria to come by the man-made lake garden which formed after the state ends the gold mining operation in the area.

Aria has never been close to her aunt, Marie ever since the aunt has her own child. Due to the greed of fighting over the wealth and love from grandmother, Marie decided to not visit grandmother unless Aria is not around. Marie has poisoned the whole family's mind with her venomous mouth.

Aria was isolated by all of her relatives since everyone views her as a gold digger who only being close with her grandmother for the inheritance. Marie took advantage of Aria's absence in the hometown when she is still doing her master's degree in the capital city. By the time Aria went back home for Christmas, everyone had been acting cold towards her.

"My mother does not want us to play with you."

All of Aria's cousins push her away when she tries to give them some presents and play like they usually do every Christmas. She took all of the presents and put them back in her room. Her soul is fired up by the anger caused by Marie the mean woman.

Aria is angry at herself for falling to the lousy trick from Marie. She has invited Aria for a talk today mentioning that she is no longer interested to fight over the inheritance. The weather was great that day, the blue skies and the deep blue color of the lake seamlessly connected by the horizon. Marie has made an appointment with the local boat operator so that they can tour the lake while keeping the conversation private.

Aria stands on the deck as her long and soft curls locks brushed gently by the breeze when the boat stops in the middle of the lake. The air here is cleaner than the city despite the distance is only twenty-two miles away.

"Aria, I am sorry for being mean to you all these years."

Marie's voice made Aria turn her back against the railing and facing her aunt directly.

"That was immature of me to put all the blame on you. I should have known that your grandmother was closer to you because you were always by her side."

Marie continues apologizing while holding Aria's hands. Aria could not believe her ears since her aunt was always prideful and would not apologize for any of her wrongdoings. Marie starts wailing and if from the outsider's view then it would seem like Aria was bullying her aunt.

"I forgive you since that was what she has always wanted when she was still alive. She always misses you whenever you mentioned that you would not be back for Christmas after one whole year of not visiting her even once."

Aria tried to console her aunt while patting her shoulder so that Marie would not cry further.

 
6