Chapter 8: Weak Tribe
91 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After further inspection, she finds that the covered long gallery is further divided into sections that are maintained by each family. The longhouse looks like a terrace house yet there is no division by the porch. Bamboo mats were being laid out across the floor that is commonly used to entertain guests. The elderly can be seen sitting in the gallery in front of their house weaving baskets and a ceremonial cotton cloth.

Men can be seen lounging around drinking and smoking a hand-rolled cigarette. All heads turn as the duo walk towards the side door.

The cold breeze brushes Aria’s face as they reach the side door. Her heart drops as she needs to go down the narrow log stair. Nana senses the hesitation and turns her body to face the young girl standing behind her. 

“Wait here. Let me get Naki to bring you down.”

Her silhouette left as it disappeared underneath the longhouse. Aria took a seat by the entrance and examined the outdoors covered by dense rainforest. Looking down, she comes to realize the height of the longhouse. At the moment, she was sitting at the same level as the trees around the area which is about 12 meters. One with fear of height might have lost their mind if they were to see this view.

‘This is by far the tallest longhouse I have been to. The settlement must have been founded for several generations.’

“Ack!”

Her body floats to the air in one swift swing. She can feel a pair of stiff hands covering her body and before she can react further, she found herself standing on the ground. She blinks her eyes a few times and her gaze falls onto the tanned body standing next to her. 

“Naki, thank you for helping me get Aria to the ground.”

Nana’s joyful voice can be heard not far from where they were standing. Naki just nodded and went down to the wooden jetty. 

“Walk slowly as it is slightly slippery and some parts are steeper than the others.”

They make their way down smoothly despite the obstacle. When Aria turned her body facing the longhouse, she realized that it was located on top of a hill. 

‘It must be hard to fetch water for daily usage in this condition. Now I understand that grandmother’s story is not exaggerated at all.’

She let out a deep sigh and the sweet smell of rivers filled her senses. The sound of the water splashing against small rocks accompanied by the wind whistling as it brushed against the bamboo leaves. The shallow and clean water reveals tiny stones and fishes swimming around happily. Her emerald eyes glistened with anticipation as the gap started to diminish between her and the river. 

Laughter and chattering sound can be heard a few meters along the riverbanks and a few groups of ladies playing by the water can be seen. 

“Nana! Come join us!”

A middle-aged lady with short and curly hair waves towards them. 

“Who is that peculiar-looking girl by your side?”

They rush towards Nana with the wet long tube hugging their body which shows the curves. Curiosity took over them that they did not bother to secure the sarong properly before they started running. Some almost had an accident where her tube slipped off past her chest. A whistling sound can be heard across the river where a few groups of men were taking their bath while guarding women.

“Tie your sarong properly!”

Nana’s stern voice can be heard echoing by the river. The ladies quickly abide by Nana’s instruction. All of them regard her as the most respectful leader for the women in the longhouse as she is known for her multi-talent which is bestowed by the gods. 

“We apologize for the inappropriate behavior. Please do not get mad at us, Nana.”

All of their eyes exude guilt as they plead for forgiveness. Nana decided to forgive them as it is understandable to have such a reaction towards something foreign. 

“This is Aria. She was captured by the raiding group that just arrived this morning. Naki has chosen her to be our house slave.”

The moment Nana finishes her sentence, the girls start to give a degrading look towards Aria. They think that Aria must have come from a weak tribe since they were unable to protect such a beautiful young girl. Lately, their longhouse has increased the frequency of raiding the nearby settlements. The women are grateful that they have a reliable leader that has been bringing bountiful loot. In addition to the loot, at least the nearby settlement would not have enough resources to launch an attack on their longhouse. The raiding trip normally targets the warriors of the longhouse so that they can contain any uprising against the Lu'An Boktu settlement.

6