On Duty
52 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In front of a large green swirling vortex, stood a young man. With a skinny frame and slightly hunched over posture, he wasn't intimidating in the least. Strange for a man such as him to have a bright safety vest with security plastered in big letters on the back of it.

 

He blew his hair out of his eyes, he leant against a make shift barricade that surrounded the green vortex in a large circle. One of the three walls that kept things out. He took a glance at his watch.

 

"Really? I've still got two hours left" the man huffed. He pushed himself off the barricade and stood to keep watch over the area in front of him.

 

"How's it going, Dean?" An elderly woman asked. She came from around the side of the green vortex.

 

"Making the rounds again Mary?"

 

Mary tapped on her wooden clipboard with a blue ballpoint pen, "Two more hours and I can go home to take care of Tabby."

 

Tabby was a fat ginger cat. A pampered nightmare that had a strut like she was the queen of England.

 

"You really need to stop feeding that cat, I don't think her legs will be able to hold the same weight as London." Gestured Dean as he puffed out his cheeks resembling a plum.

 

Mary gave him a scowl. "Leave my poor Tabby alone, she's perfectly healthy. There's nothing wrong with having a little more of her to love."

 

"You know I'm joking, she's as lovely as you are beautiful. If you weren't married, I might have tried to pull a move by now." Dean winked at Mary.

 

"Baaa, students nowadays. All hunter students like you, have pigeon chests. Think you'll become famous for clearing some gates-"

 

A bit of static came from her belt's walkie talkie stopping her from continuing. "Mary, Mary! Have you finished the checkups?"

 

She pulled the walkie talkie from her belt and pressed the button on it's. "Nearly done now, got two more people to checkup on."

 

"Well you better hurry up, you're on the clock and I won't be-"  she rolled her eyes as she flipped the power switch, her radio shut off.

 

"Treating a lovely lady like that, he should be arrested by the law for his heinous crimes!" Dean whined dramatically.

 

"... yes, we all know he is a bit of a dick, but he does pay us well. Have you had any trouble then?", she asked while she tapped her pen against the wooden clipboard.

 

"Well there was a gang of orcs seeking revenge against the steakhouses. I would have helped, but I'm not up for doing unpaid ~pork~."

 

"Ha hah. You should change courses, I think you'll make a wonderful clown. Did you see any 'real' problems happen, Dean?" Mary crossed her arms as she looked at Dean with a very disapproved gaze.

 

"No Mary, nothing's happened. Not even a peep."

 

Mary jolted something down on her clipboard and began to walk away, "Thank you Dean, stay strong."

 

She took a glance at her watch, "One hour and forty minutes and we can go home."

 

"Tell them Hunters to hurry up, they shouldn't be leaving the F gates for this long, the pay's too low." Dean complained as he put his hands into his hoody pocket. Dean's eyes followed the back of Mary as she disappeared around the green vortex.

 

"One hour and forty minutes... why couldn't I have had an awakening?" Dean thought. He pouted like a toddler.

 

"I'm getting frost bite for a course that'll take me four years to finish, plus the two years I tried to get in. You should have listened to mom and become a doctor."

 

Leaned against the makeshift barricade, Dean buried his hands further into his pockets. There wasn't much else he could do to waste time but lose himself in thought.

 

...

 

"Forty minutes. Come on, I've got a test to study for."

 

Dean stared at his watch. Not much had changed since he checked it two minutes ago.

 

"I just want to go home", he grumbled, as he kicked the dust up with his boot.

 

Boredom, and staring at an empty street for five hours, can lead to frustration for most people.

 

Dean had gotten very frustrated, the job wouldn't let him move far from his post and they didn't allow toilet breaks either.

 

But the pay was good and worth the small episodes of frustration that was brought on by the job.

 

If only the Hunters would get off their behinds and pick up the pace.

 

"Hello?" Said an unknown voice.

 

"Yes?"

 

Dean looked up from the ground to see a group of three Hunters outside the barricades.

 

It was a measly group for a team of Hunters, four was the norm for a small team - a team of three was rare.

 

Two of them were dressed in very expensive armour, and carried weapons that, Dean thought, would take a couple years on his wage to pay for just the hilt of one. As he looked at the rest, he figured their equipment in total would cost an ungodly fortune. Only a small number of Hunters in London are a high enough rank to afford the cost and maintenance of the equipment the two had.

 

"I assume you're here for the Gate?" Dean asked the hunter in the front.

 

"Ye-yes we are." She replied.

 

She didn't look much older than Dean, around her early twenties. She had a slim figure with long, black flowing hair contrasting against her pale skin. Her bright, blue eyes beautifully shined from under her dark fringe. The gold jade armour, which looked like it was made from the materials of B gate monsters, fit her body well. The sword that was attached to her back was nearly as tall and wide as her waist.

 

"How blessed to be an Awakened." thought Dean, jealously.

 

For someone as young as her to be a Hunter with B grade equipment meant she was an awakened, and a very talented one at that.

 

Not every Awakened are born as power houses. It took time to fine-tune it to be able to rise that well in the ranks.

 

Dean wished he had the chance, but in the five years since the gates appeared, nothing had happened to him, and he wasn't sure it would anytime soon.

 

"What's the password?" Dean asked the Hunter.

 

"Th-the password?" The Hunter fidgeted with a bright, red face.

 

"Yes, the password"

 

"Uh uh..." the girl buried her face with her hands, only exposing her bright, red ears.

 

"Black Dundeer seven" a short hunter said from behind the blushing girl.

 

"Sorry about her, she doesn't know how to talk to others outside her bubble." Said a gruff voice.

 

The gruff voice belonged to a tall, round man in his late fifties. His face was scuffed and old, with very short ginger hair and a curled ginger moustache to match.

 

He was covered in red copper like armour, where only his arms and head were exposed.

 

His arms were full of ancient scriptures, the type you'd find on a high classed Gate. A large spear, that wrapped around him more like a snake than a weapon, constantly moved and made its way around him. He emitted a strong and dominant presence.

 

"We're trying to make her a little more confident" said a cheerfully cute voice.

 

The third and last Hunter was a short petite girl that looked like she was in her early teens. With ruby red hair and dark skin, her eyes shone an emerald green. Her clothes were something you could find in H&M, except for a tall witches hat that had short, hanging embroidered fabric around its purple brim. An old book that had similar scriptures to the ones on the gruff hunter's arms was secured in an holster attached to her back. She didn't have extravagant armour like the other two. The only protective armour she had were a purple chest plate, boots, and gauntlets to protect her arms and legs.

 

Dean glanced at the Hunters, and then picked up his walkie talkie, "Hey Mary, the Hunters are here. Can I get a confirmation on the password?"

 

"Mary?" Dean repeated into the walkie talkie.

 

"Shit, she forgot to turn it back on. We'll all lose pay if there's another slip up." Dean grumbled and bit his thumb nail.

 

"Is there any trouble" The petite witch asked. The other girl still shy and had her blushing face covered behind the witch.

 

"Give me a minute." Dean scratched his head; he can't lose out on pay, his rent was due in a week and one more late payment and he'll be out on the streets.

 

He picked up a clip board from the nearby table, Dean opened a gate that was between him and the three Hunters, "Come on in. Who's the team leader?"

 

"I am." replied the witch.

 

"Sign here." Dean handed her the Clipboard with a pen attached.

 

The witch signed her team name, and her Hunter's name in pretty, cursive writing. Giving Dean a light smile, she handed the clipboard back to him.

 

"Everything seems to be in order... Crescent. Hope I didn't butcher that." Dean placed the clipboard back onto the table gesturing for the Hunters to go into the Gate.

 

He glanced down at his watch, "thirty minutes early, nice."

 

Dean watched as the flashy Hunter team entered the gate one by one, the Gate making a noise between a swoosh and a rock dropping into water as each one stepped into the green swirl.

 

Suddenly, some static came through his walkie talkie, "About time. Mary, the Hunters just went in."

 

"What Hunters? They're with me, they've just arrived." Mary replied.

 

"The Hunters?" Dean's face dropped.

 

"Hey! Wait a minute-" Dean shouted towards Crescent the Witch.

 

She turned her head to face Dean and flashed a smirk. She winked as she stepped into the F Gate.

 

Before thinking, Dean grabbed her sleeve when she was midway through the gate. Her eyes went wide in panic as she shouted "you idiot!"

Before Dean even realised what he had done, he got sucked into the Gate with Crescent, and everything went black.

 

[User: Dean entered gate.]

[Requirements met.]

[System Unlocked.]

[Booting system...]

[...1% until system booted.]

0