Chapter 1: Maxi: Clueless Undead
1.1k 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“W-What are you!?” What the hell is this!? This woman… What the hell are those pink wings sprouting out of her, why is this bitch not dead!?

“A demon” A-A-A… demon… no… why is such a thing here!? Why am I fighting this thing!? What in the world is-

*Slash*

“Guh!” M-My throat!!! Ahhh… Ahhh!!! It hurts it hurts it hurts it hurt!!! I’m bleeding! I’m dying! Why must I-I can’t! I can’t scream or anything!

*Drop*

I can’t move… I’m- It hurts so much! It hurts… it hurts… I can’t take it anymore! I can’t! Why is my luck so rotten! It hurts! I can’t… it hurts!!! I can’t-

*Stab*

Aahhhhhhhh!!! Myheadmyheadmuehadmyhead!!!myhuad!!!...

..

..

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

..

..

..

..

..

...

...

...

...Why… am I… the only one… having to deal with this crap… I can’t… Where am I? Am I alive? I thought I got… I have no idea, I can’t feel anything, it feels like I’m dead… Heh… someone like me being dead… An accomplished adventurer like me who will get everyone under my foot, a man that will get every-

“Rise and shine~” Some girl’s voice just entered my head, interrupting me, I can’t move or do anything, I can’t say anything. Is this hell? Am I trapped in an unending void of anything? I of all people am stuck in this stupid limbo, why am I-

“Yeah! Say it like that! Make the minion in front of you wake up and ready to take command… pfftttt” A voice of some woman just ringed. I have no idea what’s going on, I can’t even feel anything…

“Hey what’s with that laugh! Why isn’t this thing moving!” A childish voice again, are these women mocking me? What do they mean “this thing” and “minion”, no way they’re talking about me, I am worth way more than that! I am one of the greatest and-

“Try pumping it nice and full, m-maybe that’ll g-get it… pffft… haaaaa!!! I can’t take this!” Why is this woman laughing? What is so funny!?

“W-Why are you laughing again!? Just tell me!” The kid’s voice is heard again.

“Multiple reasons, to put it simply. First is you unable to command or make your undead animated, second is the sheer hilarity of the change made to said undead for comedic and irony sake, and third… wait until you’re older” The condescending and oh so annoying voice explained. I still have no idea what’s going on or why I can’t move or see! Let me move and see! I want to move, I don’t want to be stuck wherever the hell I am!

“What change?” The other voice asked, sounding about just as confused as I am. Would be nice to know what’s going on!

“Nothing important. Anyway is the undead responding even a little bit? Lemme check…” The condescending voice is heard again. I… am I feeling something? I can’t even tell. It feels like I’m being hit but it’s hard to tell. Are my senses dulled? How am I even still around? Where am I?

“How is it?” That childish voice asked. Ugh this is all so frustrating! If only I could get up and show them who’s boss!

“I mean… Hmm… How odd…” The other voice muttered. 

“W-What is it?” Another voice asked, sounding nervous now.

“You know how undead are essentially flesh golems right? Follow what you do, act on your command, all that made them your loyal and unconditional servant with similar properties and abilities to who they once was” That slightly more mature yet clearly annoying voice said out loud like some kind of tutor. Why are they talking about this undead deal? I thought it was just a bunch of dumb myths.

“Teacher, you tell me that more times than I can count” The other said sounding rather tired of the whole ordeal, of course I’m the one most tired right now, how did it all come to this! 

“I did, didn't I? Anyway, then you should know full well what golems should lack isn’t that right?” The older voice asked. What they lack… what are they even going on about? Why am I part of this boring lecture?

“A soul I think?” The other voice answered sounding unsure. Ugh…

“Yeah that. Tell me something, what if a golem, or rather the undead over here, have a soul?” The other voice asked.

“Huh? I… don’t know?” The younger voice cluelessly replied. When will I actually get to see what’s going on?

“The will of the soul itself will be in contradiction with the body it now is residing in as well as your command. To put it simply it’ll be much more difficult to control and for them to move at first” The other voice said.

*Smack*

I could hear something smacking into me but I can barely feel it. Why am I being hit!?

“How did that happen!? Teacher what is the chance of that!” The girl asked. I still can’t believe I’m unable to move and have to hear this conversation. I can’t be bothered thinking about it. I'd rather go back to the guild and chat up with others.

“Insanely low unless someone deliberately put a soul in the flesh golem. I mean did you do it?” The woman said nonchalantly.

“This is my first time! I don’t even know how to move souls about!” The girl adamantly denied.

“I’m just kidding with you… I did it” The other person admitted.

“W-Why?” The girl asked, sounding bewildered.

“It’ll be a better learning experience for you I’d say. I mean if you were to please your idol you better crave something amazing, I’m giving you plenty of leeway here” The woman said calmly when she was acting like a kid just a few moments ago.

“O-Okay… then what should I do next?” The girl asked. I could hear some footsteps coming closer to me… How am I even related to the situation at hand? I was… I was fighting that thing and now I can’t even move about.

“Like I said before. Try forcibly put mana into this thing, or maybe force a mana potion into it, it's your choice” The woman said, sounding indecisive.

“I-I don’t have a mana potion” The girl said somewhat shyly.

“Then just do the first choice, it’s not that hard. Physical contact would make the process easier. Don’t worry it-it won’t bite” The woman instructed. What is this ‘it’ they kept talking about? 

“It looks kinda…” The girl muttered.

“I mean it is a corpse, but you and I already reconstructed it so it at least wouldn’t rot and smell remember? I mean that’s just necromancy 101, make sure to maintain and clean the undead’s body, retain its integrity and by extension yours. It’s just cold is all” The woman said, clearing trying to reassure the other person around. Are they seriously trying to do this undead thing no one is even sure if it’s real or not? And why am I even still around for this?

“Okay…” The girl said nervously. I’m still so confused, why are their voices so close to me? Why can’t I see anything? I can barely feel anything. I can hear but I can’t see, I feel dull and numb everywhere.

“Put in the force. Make sure it feels everything” The woman said sounding almost malicious. 

*Spark*

Gah! Argh! Ahhhh!!! Why! Why does it suddenly hurt! It hurts it hurts it hurttsss!!!

“A-A-Arhhhhhhhh!!!” It hurts! It hurts! Stop it stop it stop it!

“Eeeek!” The pain is gone… what was that? Huh? I can move? I can feel like I’m moving a little bit at least… Was I sleeping face on the ground? Did I only just notice this now? What’s even going on?

“Now now. That was nowhere enough to get this thing moving. I’ll demonstrate” The woman said… what was even happening again?

*Shock* *Spark*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHH AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAHHHHH IT HURTTTSS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS STOP STOP STOP STOP-

“SoTp sTop tOp Stop stop stop!!! It hruts!” IT HURTS… I T HU RTS… 

“Okay then. It’s activating enough to beg for its non-life at least. That’ll be enough, your control over it should still be there. Try making it stand up straight first. Say it out loud if you think mental command isn’t enough” ...The woman said… it feels like millions of needles are pushed into me, it feels… it’s nothing short of terrible.

“Haaaah… [Stand up]” Why does that voice suddenly sound so… Huh?

Why am I standing up to that? What are these yellow colors in front of me?

“Oops. Forgot about that, lemme fix that” The woman’s voice is heard again.

*Cut*

Someone grabbed my head and… now I can see… I feel odd. I can move… I can move… Why are my arms so pale and… rotten looking?

“It’s moving on its own!” That’s the girl’s voice- Huh? Looking where that voice should be is a girl in a mage like robe and… are those fox ears? What am I seeing? Where am I? Is this a joke? The sky looks so… odd…

“I mean there is a soul in there to operate the vessel. Mind you you should be able to command it to stop if you could… No, using the word for something with a soul isn’t quite right is it? Call it a she” Who is saying that now? Some odd youthful woman with grey hair and eyes… Why are they looking at me? Why am I wearing this ragged cloth? Where is my… Huh? Why is my arms so thin? Why is my hair long?

“Okay… Hello?” The girl is walking over to me and greets me, leaning over to me… why is she so tall? I never see any woman as tall as I am… because I am a bit tall… I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I guess I’ll just greet her back.

“Hello?” Huh? Why is my voice so high? What’s up with me right now? I better get an answer on this!

“She looks confused” The girl with fox ears commented to the woman in grey. She? Who is she referring to?

“I did just tamper a bit with this fella’s body, so that has to be expected” That woman said while scratching her cheek. She looked at me then back at that girl as she said so… hold on… what?

“What did you say?” I asked. not feeling like fooling around anymore. Why is my voice like that? Everything is pale and weak, I’m wearing cheap clothes, I feel way different than usual, way too different.

“Oh so your consciousness is there after all. You have no idea how hard it is doing something this elaborate to get you back” That woman in grey commented looking at me while that strange girl just stood there confused. Where are we? It Looks like a backyard.

“Do you know her, Teacher?” The strange girl with really odd hair color asked while tilting her head. The one called ‘teacher’ looked amused.

“Not really. I heard about this fella but don’t know them personally, I just think it’ll be funny if I brought them back” Funny? What’s so funny about all of this?

“You really do have a strange sense of humor Teacher” The girl with fox ears commented looking exasperated. What even are their deals? I still don’t even know how I got here.

“What’s even going on! Just shut up and tell me!” I said, feeling incredibly impatient with these two just dragging me along and not saying anything to value.

“How much did you hear?” That woman in grey suddenly retorted. 

“How should I know? Rise and shine or whatever that silly phrase was supposed to be” I answered feeling more impatient about this, if only I have stuff on me then I could’ve gone home or… I still don’t even know where I am!

“Oh so since the beginning… You’re one clueless lass aren’t you?” She said with a chuckle, how dare her!

“Clueless of what!” I asked feeling extremely agitated with whatever the hell she’s alluding to.

“Uhhh… Your current situation? All of it?” Why is she still snarking about something she didn’t even tell me!

“Just tell me you!” I said running over to her. I’ll use violence if I have to-

“Say the word Mani. You know what I mean!” This woman suddenly said, leaping too far away!

“[Stop]!” She commanded… me? W-Why did my body stop moving! Why can’t I move even one more step! I will not… tolerate… this!

“U-Uhh, Teacher she’s resisting!” That girl said within my earshot, as if she holds any power over-

Wha!? Where did these chains come from! What is this magic!?

“See? No need to worry” That condescending woman commented, sounding so sure of herself.

“Release me!” I said as I still struggle against these chains, why are they so strong!?

“Not a chance. You don’t even know what happened to yourself” That woman said, still sounding so sure of herself, walking over to me without fear.

“What are you talking about!?” I screamed out, I can’t believe I’m still in this stupid situation.

“Haaaah… Get a good look at yourself and see it for yourself” She said as suddenly something is summoned out of thin air. A mirror and in it is…

“W-Who is that?” I asked still with a voice inappropriate for me. Who is this in the mirror?

A girl sealed in chains of light… Why does she look so terrified? Why does she move exactly as I did? Where am I in the mirror?... No… There’s no way!

“Get some clue yet?” That woman said with a terrifying grin on her face… What am I… looking at? There’s no way that’s me… I’m not like that. I’m a man first of all! And I do not look this weak! This cannot be me!

“Teacher, she looks scared, can we not?” The strange girl said. I… what is going on!? There’s no way that’s me! That’s impossible!

“Perhaps. I think she needs some lecture on who is the master here, that’ll be important for your training as well” The woman in grey said not giving a damn about me it seems, not clarifying anything… 

“O-Okay? What should I do then?” The girl asked, looking clueless… I can’t even think of anything to say, nothing makes sense!

“Just command her to follow you around at a safe distance, in case she’s trying something funny. Let’s go down to the basement, we can talk more there” That woman said not regarding me again…

“Alright… [Follow me my servant, far but follow along]” That voice is… Ugh… The chains are gone but I… I don’t feel like I should get too close to them. They’re walking into the house that this place is the backyard of… I have to follow them, I can’t get whatever that girl said out of my head…

That mirror disappeared into thin air and now I’m… Where am I now? What am I now?

30