Chapter 5: Maxi: Random Forest. Action.
273 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So where in the world are we supposed to go to anyway?” I asked as I mindlessly followed her around. Despite my less than impressive physique I don’t feel all that tired.

“Well… Since you got your weapon in hand, maybe try exploring the forest? Every few days it feels like something new comes up” She answered with some explanation ready. The forest is it? Honestly, it sounds like a good way for me to swing the axe about, and get some good exercise… like that’ll help. I’m still ignorant on this topic. I can acknowledge that much. Damn it all.

“Fine. Take me. Where is it?” I said still not raising my voice much. I don’t really feel like much, let alone making myself sound energetic or even discontent.

“Just follow me!” She said with a somewhat confident smile. Guess I’ll do just that. Just follow her to wherever.

We follow the large road that seems to connect to the town center from four directions. Seems just following this path will eventually lead us to the border of this place. I still have no idea if this is just some random settlement or perhaps even a kingdom, but this demon will probably blabber about it at some point.

Not long after we can see the border of this place. This border looks nothing like where I came from or from the capital. It looks shiny and smooth, as if made of metal. It’s colored black and purple, not a kind of material I’m familiar with. From so far away it’s hard to tell what’s at it exactly, if there are guards or anything else. This will be quite a long walk.

“Ah. Wait a minute” The fox girl said as she brought up the strange device again, pressing something on the surface of it. She took a bit of time and left us awkwardly standing on the road. Good thing there aren't any carriages about.

“Alright let’s get a move on” She declared as it seems like she’s done playing around with that device.

*Shine*

Ugh. What’s with this light?

“Follow me. It’ll be fine” She said trying to give me reassurance as she entered the circle of light and just seemed to disappear… Just what have I gotten myself into?

*Zoom*

Suddenly as I entered the circle as well the world around me seemed to change. It was like some sort of instantaneous shift.

“Where… Huh?” I was going to say where we are now, but before I could say that in full we are already at the front of the border. Gate and guards and all. What the heck?

“Come on Maxim!” That fox girl said as she walked past the guards, all of them have some sort of animalistic features. Seems they let this girl go wherever. Whatever, just keep following her.

...Soon as we went outside and past the border we could immediately see the sea of trees in front of us. The trees are massive and it’s hard to tell if there’s an end to this place… It kinda reminds me of that forest that I… No, enough of that thinking, it’s so uncomfortable to think about it.

“What’s the matter?” The demon in front of me asked as she looked back at me.

“...No. It’s nothing, just lead the way already” I said as the concerned look on her face is quite bothersome. She should just continue with this rather than worrying about something she doesn’t know about, just slowing everything down.

“A-Alright then. You can tell me about it later if you want” She said with an innocent smile as she led the way. Well I guess I can worry about that later.

Soon we are in the depths of the forest with no clear end in sight. The trees are large and far apart, giving us a clean path for the most part as we walk through. It really does remind me of that forest as well… Ugh, I should stop thinking about it, no way this is that place.

“Hey Maxim! There’s something there!” The girl said as she pointed at a silhouette under the tree’s shadow. It looks rather small and has a hard-to-defined shape, just what is that?

“Yeah there’s something, just what is it?” I commented. I would think twice about approaching anything I have no idea about. The fox girl walked closer to it without saying anything. Seriously, what if it’s something dangerous?

*Bounce*

“Ah! [Fire]!” The fox girl is taken by surprise and casts a fire spell, immediately scorching it. That fire was a bit intense which I think shouldn’t be made at all, we are in a forest right now.

“Can’t you use something else aside from fire?” I berated as I walked over to her. I was going to see what the creature is but it’s charred at this point I can’t tell what it is.

“A-Ah… Well it shouldn’t be a problem, these things don't burn that easily” She said mindlessly. That just sounds ridiculous. I can only shake my head in disbelief.

“Whatever. Let’s keep moving, didn’t even get to swing my axe yet” I said as I began walking with the demon girl now following me instead.

We walk further into this forest and it all seems rather unsettling and empty, and on another hand it feels like something could jump out at any moment. This atmosphere is really quite similar, just making everything feel worse.

“Say, have you gone outside often in the past? I sure have” The fox girl asked as she caught up to me and walked by my side.

“It’s more or less my job. Going places and doing some requests to get by. I’m not particularly one for settling in one place, but being where I’m familiar with would be more comfortable than not” I answered, chiming in how I would like to see old places again. The fact that I can’t quite remember them doesn’t help at all.

“I see… Say how good are you at fighting? There are some strong beasties out here” The fox girl asked some more. Seems I can’t really make her stop caring can I?

“I’d say I’m pretty good at it, shame I never get that high in ranking” I replied, still looking around for monsters to smash.

“Ranking… I think the guild has something like that” The fox girl muttered, so there’s a guild here as well, that’s interesting. I have no idea if they’ll accept someone like me in their ranks or not, it sounds troublesome to even think about.

“I see, what’s their ranking like?” I asked as we still move around in this seemingly endless forest, what is even beyond this sea of trees anyway?

“The ranks are novice, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and mythril. Bronze, silver, and gold are divided into three each as well. Low, mid, and high” That’s how they did it? Seems a bit complicated doesn't it?

“That sounds complicated. Where I’m from there was… iron… silver… gold… No, there was more than that… there was one before iron and I think… Hmm…” Great, even remembering something that simple is hard. There’s one before and after iron, and after gold should be… mythril? I think that’s how it goes.

“Um… are you alright?” The fox said as I was trying to remember the damn system.
“Yeah I’m fine. It was coal, iron, copper… no, bronze, silver, gold, and mythril” I replied with the answer I was intending to give, but my memory is a complete mess.

“No in-between ranks?” She asked.

“Yeah, nothing of the sort” I replied. We are still walking aimlessly further in this clearly massive forest, just where are all the monsters?

“Huh… Well whatever, wanna try joining in? I personally haven’t myself” The fox girl asked. She hasn’t tried it out? Would’ve imagined her able to get in with some fire power she has, about anyone should be able to be an adventurer, it’s a pretty lax profession. Maybe the fact that this place is clearly different from where I’m from has something to do with it.

“Maybe once we go back, why haven’t you registered yet?” I asked as we continued our walk, still nothing for us to hunt down.

“I’m not very interested right now, since I’m still under Teacher’s tutelage” She answered. So that’s how it is. Well it is none of my business if she registered or not. On the other hand it seems there is something in view besides the trees.

“What’s over there?” The fox girl asked. From what I see it’s lizard-like but bipedal. It looks intimidating with long limbs. It wears some leather clothing but nothing else. It reminds me of something… what was it?

“Kobold. That thing reminds me of kobolds” I muttered. It is way bigger and muscular than a typical kobold. The usual kind is nowhere near as large as this thing, some sort of advanced form of it? Regardless I ready my new weapon for a test, let’s see how it and I stand up to this thing.

“Will you be alright?” She asked worriedly. 

“Just watch me” I replied, annoyed at how much she nags at me. Just shut up for a bit and let me do my thing.

*Leap*

I leaped into battle, trying to not alert the monster immediately. I’m not going to give it a chance to retaliate, with this one blow it should do it.

*Smash* *Screech*

I swung my axe as hard as I could, sending the monster flying and crashing it into a nearby tree. Despite that attack it just doesn’t want to stay dead, screaming out no doubt in aggression. It’s tougher than I thought, seems I’m not going to get an easy showing. what a pain. 

*Dash* *Parry*

This thing’s fast! It runs toward me at high speed and swings its arm savagely trying to tear me apart. I parried its arm with my own axe, but the power alone makes me lose balance, at least the same could be said for it as well.

“Huh?” I look down at my arm to see them somewhat disfigured. I didn’t even realize that had happened… I don’t have time to think about this. I'm still in the middle of a battle!

*Strike*

I swung my axe at it again as I recovered my balance first, my swing is slower than just a few seconds ago, my arms must really be damaged. That doesn’t do nearly enough to keep it down.

*Leap*

“Shit!” I proclaimed. That thing jumped up before I could run over and finish it off. Right now it should only be one or two blows away from death yet still defiant. I’m clearly slower than it so I’m better off on the defensive. I can’t swat it away with my arms still badly messed up, I need to avoid its assault and find an opening.

*Swing* *Evade*

I use whatever energy I have to jump away from its leaping claw. I need to find a way to pin it down. I can reliably dodge it, but there’s no way I can jump towards it and swing my axe fast enough before it claws me.

*Leap* *Swing* *Evade*

But what do I use to pin it down? I can’t swing the axe anywhere fast enough to counter it, and I doubt my bare fist will do any real damage to this thing. I need something else…

*Leap* *Swing* *Evade*

“Ugh! Annoying!” I can’t help but proclaim how fast and savage it is. It really should die fashionably into the tree I- Hold on.

*Leap* *Swing* *Evade*

How’s the tree I send it flying into doing? There seems to be some crack in it. Perfect.

*Leap*

Let’s see if it’ll fall for this. I positioned myself in front of the tree and saw if it’ll take notice.

*Leap* *Swing* *Evade* *Crash*

It worked! It idiotically jumped into the tree when I leaped out of the way. The tree crashes down on it and pinning it down. I can see its head peeking out.

“This thing is way more troublesome than I thought, but it’s over” I said as I held the axe overhead.

*Smash* *Splatter*

And swung it down directly on its head. Blood spilling out and its life over. That was not as easy as I expected. Freaking hell, did I really get weaker?

“A-Are you alright?” The fox girl asked as she walked over. She looked over my arms which definitely isn’t normal.

“Yeah. I don’t feel particularly painful” I bluntly replied. Maybe I can’t go another round with something of this level if my arms don’t get fixed soon, so that’s a problem. That’s probably not alright.

“We need to fix your arms, no way you can continue fighting like this!” She said like an overbearing friend or parent. Can’t believe I’ve gotten so weak I can only fight once before everything starts going wrong.

“I don’t need your pity. I’m just getting started” I said, not wanting to let myself down. I continue walking hoping to find something else to smash its head in. Just one more should be enough for the day, whatever it’ll be.

“W-Wait!” She followed me still, clearly can’t stop herself from looking over at me. Just what has this world come to?

11