Chapter 7: Mani: Room to Reprieve
200 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few more minutes passed and still Mom and Dad aren’t home yet. They usually don’t take too long at work so they’ll probably be back in less than an hour, but even still with how the situation is right now I wouldn’t mind them coming back a little sooner.

Maybe I should say something to her if it seems like it’ll take a little while for them to come home, but she seems really down right now, clearly not in the mood for a nice talk. I don’t wanna force her if that’s possible, but this silence and atmosphere really gets to me. I should think of something to say, but what should I say?

“Hey…” Before I could come up with any good ideas I already said that. She glanced back at me once to acknowledge what I said, but only for a brief moment. Guess that wasn’t the best approach, but I still need to ask her something, maybe to distract her from whatever she is feeling.

“Do you not like teamwork?” That wasn’t the best question to ask, but I feel like saying it seeing how dissatisfied she was with the kill. 

“Not a fan. I want the limelight” She said. Is that really all there is to it? I mean some of us want the limelight but I would’ve imagined them still liking people behind their back, it’s pretty comforting knowing someone is there to help.

“What else? There’s gotta be more than that right?” I asked. She is slightly shaken by my question. Surely there is more to it than that. Is it really worth throwing your companion away for more chances in the limelight? My friends and I do a lot of silly things even in our older years for stupid reasons, but none of them have deterred us forever apart.

“So what if that’s the only reason?” She defensively asked. I couldn’t imagine anyone opting out teamwork and friendship for more possible attention, maybe things are just different there? I still find it hard to believe… Oh! I think I know why!

“Ah! You did lose a great deal of memory didn’t you? Maybe that’s why the reason seems so shallow” I said, maybe keeping talking about this will help jog her memory.

“Y-Yeah, I doubt I’ll throw away whatever teamworks are for just that” She said with a bit of uncertainty. Seems kinda odd how she said it but I won’t bother on that front, maybe after her memories start to resurface I’ll ask her about it again. Right now I’m just glad she’s starting to talk.

“Well things here aren’t that hung on individual performance I’d say. So maybe you should drop that attitude” I advised. She’s from elsewhere where it seems solo performance is on everyone’s mind, if there’s any difference in value I should tell her about it if possible.

“...I’ll keep that in mind” She reluctantly replied before leaning away. Should I keep talking to her or should I-

*Open*

“We’re home!” Dad said as soon as he opened the door, his rather effeminate voice ringing out a bit loudly. Both him and mom just come home at about the right time, I need to introduce Max… Honestly I really don’t like that name, but I shouldn’t say that to her if I could help it, sounds tacky, really shouldn’t insult her over it.

“Ah! Mom! Dad! Welcome back! I have someone I want to introduce” I said enthusiastically as I walked over to greet them. Max-something was looking a bit uncomfortable there but I hope my parents can be welcoming so she doesn’t have to worry.

“Who is it Mani? Is it that injured lady over there? Let me check up on her” Mom said as she walked over to her still resting on the sofa. She tried to look away as Mom began checking up on her.

“The wound on her arm seems quite serious” Dad commented, he also walked over to take a look at her as well. They’re already helping her out already, as expected of my Mom and Dad! She already began casting a spell and... 

“Hmm… Typical healing spell doesn’t do the trick… Say young lady, do you mind telling me your condition? You seem pale, like all over, and the healing spell isn’t working as intended” Mom asked, trying to inquire on her condition so she can use a more appropriate spell. They don’t quite make out that she’s an undead yet, something that Teacher told me is quite uncommon. As for her she seems unwilling to tell her what she is, which I can’t blame her for.

“Mom. She’s an undead, they don’t regenerate normally” I said to her, talking in her place. Her eyes widened for a moment while Mom nodded thoughtfully.

“I see. So that’s what she was talking about… Well I guess that’s not a myth… Also I need a lot of mana if I want to make it work, please give me some space my dear” Mom said to both Dad and I, so we nodded and walked up the stairs to wait, there’s a sofa on the second floor so we waited there.

“Heard she’s teaching you something massive today, guess she wasn’t kidding” Dad commented. Seems like they know the situation a little already.

“Yeah. She has me raise the dead so she can be my servant or something. Teacher said that if the undead have their soul they’re stronger and more independent, honestly she’s more of her own person than a flesh golem as she called it” I replied, giving my side of the story.

“Her soul huh… So she would have memories of the past I’d imagine, as memory and soul are somewhat tied to each other” Dad gives his assumption.

“Yeah, and it seems she never has the best impression of us…” I said a bit melancholically. I just want us to be friends, it’s a shame she is so unfriendly, hopefully that’ll change.

“I’m sure she’ll open up, I don’t think she thinks of you that badly if she sticks around” Dad said trying to reassure me.

“She got a shock torture session from Teacher, so that’s why she doesn’t want to try anything” I clarified. It’s definitely out of fear more than any bond she wanna have, which is unfortunate, would be great if she wants to be friends instead of paranoid and scared.

“Ah. I see… She’s usually so friendly so I find it hard to imagine…” Dad commented. I’m pretty sure everyone would find it hard to believe. Teacher is usually very casual and friendly with us so when she does that it sends a chill down my spine, it was like the world flipped over. I would rather think that she does it for everyone’s benefit and not to be mean… Then again…

‘Hm? What do I think of Kaa-san? She always puts on this friendly yet unhinged facade to appear a bit more approachable, even I can’t always tell what’s on her mind or what her motives and moods are like. To be frank… Trusting anything she says feels like the worst choice, and trying to discern anything about her just sounds like a death wish. A dubious character if you will’ And that’s from her daughter of all people… It’s hard to believe since she’s been nothing but helpful and never really lashes out unless the situation gets extreme…

“She was panicking really badly so Teacher used that really extreme method. Hopefully she won't do it again” I said, trying to justify her action regardless. It’s really cruel but I don’t want to see my teacher in such a bad light.

“I see. Guess things got off to a bad start. Hopefully things will get better” Dad commented. I really hope it does, but for now I hope she gets healed up all nice and proper, she also needs to be introduced to everyone else as well.

“I hope so too” I replied. We just waited patiently after that exchange, waiting for Mom to finish her healing.

“I’m done!” Mom announced as she shouted up. Both of us quickly walk down to see them and as expected she is completely healed. She still looks rather disgruntled but clearly relieved with her arm and other wounds healed.

“Thanks Mom. Alright time to introduce yourself!” I said as I walked over to her, nudging her to introduce herself and stop being so awkward.

“...It’s Maxi… Wait no…” She began saying her name but stopped midway.

“Is something wrong?” I asked, feeling concerned. I could’ve sworn she said her name when we first met, I remember what it was but this time she seems uncertain of what it was.

“Memory problem…” She muttered, rubbing her forehead. Both Mom and Dad look a bit puzzled so I guess I have to explain.

“She has a memory issue” I said to my parents, which they simply nod and don’t pry further for now.

“I… Ugh just call me whatever I guess, I don’t even care anymore!’” She said, throwing a tantrum, and just lay down on the sofa trying to avoid us. Well I guess we could at least call her something close to her original name, or just tell it outright… Maxim doesn’t sound very cute though…

“Mom, Dad, do you two have any suggestions? Maxi-something” I asked. They ponder it for a while only to shake their head.

“I think you should come up with it yourself, you know her more than us” Mom replied. I mean that is true but… Uhh… Still can’t believe she just went and forgot her name like that, poor girl.

“Alright then! How about… Maxie? It’s a cute name right?” I announced. Okay maybe not that cute, but still it’s a name. Could’ve left it as Maxi as well.

“Cute my ass. Whatever” Maxi said. Her vocabulary sure is colorful.

“She’s a bit rude isn’t she? Well no matter, we welcome you Maxie” Mom said, putting on a friendly smile for her… She doesn’t respond.

“She has a bit of an attitude doesn’t she? Isn’t that why she got in trouble?” Dad commented. She was quite stubborn which is why she got that injury in the first place, so he’s correct with that remark.

“Hopefully she’ll get a bit better… Don’t we have a spare room somewhere?” I said and asked. Both of them crossed their arms as they pondered on it for a short while.

“I think we have one on the second floor” Mom answered. Our home is quite large so we didn’t exactly use up all the rooms.

“I’ll go take a look then, you two can wait here” Dad said before going up the stairs. Hopefully it won’t take long…

“I did hear you talking to him about her by the way, want to fill me in as well?” Mom commented. We were trying to keep it low but she heard it anyway huh? Well it’s good that she wants to learn about her as well but…

I turn around to look at Maxi to see if she’s eavesdropping, turns out she is doing the exact opposite, trying to not hear the conversation by covering her ears.

“I-I think she should contribute as well, you know, in telling you about her” I suggested seeing how uncooperative she was. Can’t she relax around us? Are animal parts putting her off? I have no idea what’s going through her mind.

“Alright! There is indeed an empty room, she can get that one” Dad announced suddenly when he came downstairs. He also saw Maxi covering her ears as well, so he stood there thoughtfully. We really should say something to her, making her open up a bit.

“Maxi… We’re here to help alright?” I said, feeling worried for her attitude and how she’ll act from here on out. We all stand there and stare at her, maybe it’s a bit much pressure for her? It seems she isn’t too familiar with interacting with a group.

“Should we… Give her some space?” Dad suggested. About what I’m about to say as well.

“Yeah. Mom, Dad, I’ll have a chat with her” I said to them. They nodded and walked upstairs to give us some space.

“Maxi, please listen to me!” I said, shaking her pleadingly. I’m really worried.

“Ugh fine!” She said, throwing her hand up in the air and rolled over to look at me.

“Please don’t worry about Mom and Dad. Actually don’t worry about anyone here, they are good people alright? We’re here to help” I said, putting on an encouraging smile. She simply frowned all the more hearing that.

“Can’t believe all of this is happening” She muttered. Is she still thinking about how absurd her situation is? Bring back from the dead and all that.

“Well at least you’re alright. I mean that’s something worth not being moody about right?” I said, trying to cheer her up a bit more. She really doesn’t say anything aside from just grumbling some more.

I heard some footsteps so I turned around to see Mom and Dad coming down. Do they have something to say?

“We clean up and organize the free room for her. Maybe you two should go talk there” Mom recommended. That would probably be better, it’s a more private space.

“Yeah, come on Maxi” I said as I grabbed her arm and pulled her. She’s quite cold. Literally.

She hesitated for a bit but soon stopped resisting and came along with me to her new room which Mom and Dad guided us to.

The room is pretty barren right now but it is pretty spacious, look quite nice. It just has a bed, a table, chairs, shelves, just a few normal things. Nothing fancy.

“How do you like it?” I asked, wondering what her opinion is. She looks slightly bewildered but keeps her surprise in check.

“I-It’s alright” She said, somewhat flustered. Is good treatment that uncommon in the human world? Or is that something exclusive to her?

Both of us sat down at the sole table in the room. Setting up the scene for us to talk.

“So… Can you please trust us to keep you safe and help you? Please?” I asked, restarting the discussion we just had.

“Honestly… Ugh what a mess, I’m still wrapping my head towards this whole deal” She stated. It’s not quite the answer I wanted, but at least it’s not a rejection.

“We’ll get through it okay? I’ll show you that this place is quite nice to live in. I’m sure you’ll like it!” I said in a cheerful tone. She still looks really hesitant in accepting us…

“Haaah… I’ll entertain the idea further I suppose… Just let me take a break” She said, walking to the bed and looking pretty eager to sleep. Do undead even need to sleep? Well I shouldn’t pry, I should just let her do as she wants for now.

“Okay… Hope you have a good sleep, Maxi” I said to her before leaving the room. Hopefully she’ll be in a better mood tomorrow. If at all possible I hope she can come to terms with this quickly, otherwise who knows what’ll happen. I wouldn’t want to see what Teacher would do to condition her…

Maybe she just needs a place to relax… Yeah… I should make it up to her like that… Be more lifting.

10