Chapter 10: Maxi: Flowery Tavern
184 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That demon lady left after finishing her pie and tea while other people began flooding in since it’s not early morning anymore. The fox girl also finished her meal as well, and so has I, and now we’re just sitting around for whatever reason.

Some people called out to her or the bartender so it seems like she’s pretty friendly with the regulars, and thankfully none of them show any signs of trouble like that demon. Compared to the fox girl who’s supposedly also a demon she definitely feels sinister like what one would expect… but surprisingly tame, even if it seems like something is holding her back.

“Hm? What’s with the black glass block?” I asked, seeing it lighted up suddenly as it suddenly projected pictures on them… or rather…

“It’s broadcasting something, showing something that is happening in real time right now.” She explained. One hell of an advanced spell to pull this out I would’ve imagined. Still does it actually show something that’s happening elsewhere or just imaginary? It is rather uncanny how real it all looks that’s for sure. “Eh? TDS season one rerun?”

She sounds disappointed as the ‘broadcast’ shows ten normal-looking people who seem to be in a fortress or something. None of them seems to have any idea what’s happening when a demonic figure comes out of nowhere and I’m already lost on what’s happening. These people all either wear casual clothes or uniforms I’ve never seen before in my life.

I can understand what they're all saying just fine, somehow there’s also voices, and I elect to ignore it since I don’t think it’s for me… Why does that demon in the broadcast sound familiar? I’m just not gonna think about it.

“Not gonna watch it?” The fox girl asked to see me look away.

“Can’t say I even know what to make of it let alone watch it.” I admitted. It all seems a bit too much right now. Come on, able to show something that is happening, let alone with sounds, that’s ridiculous.

“Guess this is your first time seeing stuff like this. I understand.” She emphatically said. I can still hear those people on the broadcast talking and getting agitated. Seems like whatever is going on is really heated.

“Yeah, I think I’m better off ignoring it.” I replied. Too bad it doesn’t seem like she’ll let me go anywhere else.

“For me I’ve already watched it a few times already. This one’s a rerun so it’s just a pre-recording.” That implies it happened in the past right? Or something? Anyhow it seems like she has already seen and knows the outcome so it’s not as entertaining. So I guess we’re not gonna be talking about it… It’s hard to ignore it even if the volume isn’t really that loud, just because not a lot of people are talking over it. It sounds like it’s supposed to be for entertainment and fun, yet people who were dragged in sound desperate.

More people came by to say hello and gave me a weird look, but thankfully they seemed to know the meaning of privacy. From the looks of it these people know her but aren’t close friends.

*Ring*

Suddenly hearing the bell I felt a sense of dread comparable to that demon, is it another one?

“Oh! Belphi! You missed Erillie by just an hour or two.” The bartender commented seeing the person who now sat next to me. Did I hear that right?

“Isn’t that right. Seems like she really is restless about tomorrow.” The one being addressed replied.

“Belphi?” I repeated, distinctively hearing that name somewhere before…

“Hm?” The person in question looked at me. Light green hair and cyan eyes, wearing a black coat.

“You heard of her before? Apparently she was famous in the human world or so I’m told.” The fox girl asked me. Belphi… Belphi… Wait…

“A Mythril-ranked adventurer?” I mumbled under my own breath.

“What’s an undead know about me anyway?” Crud even she figured it out. She looks at me with an intense glare despite her disinterested tone.

“I don’t know, it seems like she heard about you at least.” The fox girl replied.

“Hmm… I consider myself pretty good at memorizing people’s faces and I’ve definitely never seen her before.” This woman said. “Still if she heard my name before she’s probably from the same time period I was active, or maybe even during Maova’s little adventuring. My name was irritatingly infamous.”

“Doesn’t give a lot to go on since it doesn’t seem like she remembered much either.” The fox girl chimes in.

“Wait… Why are you here!? This isn’t back in the kingdom!” I asked, remembering that wherever I am right now it’s nowhere near close to the Gretel Kingdom. Her name was always heard at least one point or another back there, so her being here makes no sense.

“I’m a welcomed guest at this kingdom what can I say? I’m more than allowed to be here.” She nonchalantly answered. So she just barged in here from…

“Wait. So you know how to go back and forth?” I asked, feeling curious hearing about another way to return.

“Of course, but it’s not something anyone can do, which includes you.” Why do I feel like I’m being insulted again!?

“The hell does that mean?” I said, trying to not raise my voice.

“Ah, by the way bartender, I want ‘The Sunflower Set’.” She just ignored me to order her meal. What the hell is that set supposed to be anyway? Sounds like it’s supposed to be a bunch of flowers instead of food. “Mhn?”

She caught a glimpse of the show projected on that black glass, but it only caught her attention for a moment.

“Oh yeah, you were featured in the show right?” The fox girl commented.

“That was another season, and was just a cameo.” She dismissively replied. Is she a celebrity around this part too!?

“Right, but I wouldn’t call beating the contestants to a pulp just a cameo…” The fox girl exasperatedly responded.

“To be fair the other special guests also get a shot in on either that or just commentary.” Okay I’m even more lost on what the hell they’re even discussing. They make it sound like some sort of gladiatorial event but everyone seems so carefree talking about it, and the show doesn’t really show any arena for that, at least as of yet.

“Anyway in regards to what we talked about a bit earlier. Going back to your Earth is not a matter of distance unfortunately, so you have to give up unless you can either learn the spells for it or ask someone to do it for you.” She vaguely said. She said spells so it has to do with magic and…

“H-Hey I’m self-taught until recently, I don’t know how to do that!” The one I stared at said, so it seems like she knows how to but can’t so she didn’t say anything. It’s still frustrating that she didn’t even say she has a clue…

“Self-taught or not, it's a skill that you’re either born with or took decades to master. So I hope you’re not going out to every mage asking them to portal you home.” The infamous mercenary said like she’s scolding me.

Wait. I’m in front of a legend aren’t I!? Isn’t she one of the most infamous adventurers in history? If I remember correctly she was rumored to be able to invoke many favors from one of the past kings, making her hold a lot of not only combat power but also political power. It was a long time ago from what I’ve heard but still…

“You got nervous so suddenly.” She mentioned after I began recollecting rumors about her. “No matter, I’m not responsible for taking care of you anyhow, unless you’re willing to pay.”

Right, she’s a mercenary as well, there’s no need for formal contracts or much else if she wants a job.

“Aren’t you gonna be there tomorrow? Pretty sure you can’t take any jobs right now.” The fox girl mentioned.

“You’re right on that, it’s merely a proposal.” She casually replied. “A mercenary always looks for a potential client after all.”

It sounds like she’s willing to send me home if I could pay but… It’s obvious that it’s not gonna be cheap, and this fox girl is gonna glue herself to me which is gonna cause problems… Not to mention the whole undead thing, gonna be a problem if I go back like this, people here are already catching on.

“Please don’t go.” The fox girl said so suddenly. She really doesn’t want me to go back it seems… Hmm… What should I say?

“It’s just a thought.” I think that’s fine enough, not like I’m confident I can go back in the first place, just because it feels like someone will make my life more difficult. There’s a possible escape route next to me but it’s all locked up behind a pay gate.

“By the way, as you are a servant any kind of job you ask of me must reflect your master’s desire, if not I can’t comply.” Why the hell are you saying that with a smirk on you!? And you’re only saying that now!? “Usually that won’t be the case, but when you’re fundamentally linked to your master it would not be in your best interest to go against her wishes, think of it as a good-faithed advice for a potential client from a cold-hearted mercenary.”

That sounds hella cold-hearted! What the hell do you mean!?

“Can she really not separate from me?” The fox girl asked.

“In general the kind of contract you’re in has an unbreakable connection that only your end can reliably terminate, but if you two are in a different realm altogether, that bond will still be there, but much weaker. When it comes to physical distance even if you’re on another planet entirely the bond will weaken by just a few percent at most.” She explained. Physical distance… Realms…

“Oh so she’s not glued to me all the time, that’s good to know.” It’s good for me if I want to have some alone time I guess, but it doesn’t seem like I can ditch her entirely… Well that’s not the best plan anyway since she’s willing to cover for me, would be stupid to just walk away from help especially when the situation is this… dire? No, that's not the right word, more like confusing, it doesn’t look like I’m in any actual danger now.

“It is odd that you manifested one, what’s the story behind it?” The mercenary said, sounding a bit interested.

“Teacher Yeig told me to create one.” She answered, this time dropping her name.

“The Judgment did that? I’m surprised you even got her to teach you… You ask her daughter, isn’t that right?” She replied before realizing the answer… Wait, that sadist has a child? How!?

“Well Tana put in words for me first but yeah…” She mentioned someone I don’t know.

“I see. For all her sins that’s one definitive soft spot of hers, but we all know that too well.” She mentioned. It seems like that’s just common knowledge that that nut job has a family apparently, and actually cares?

“Yeah, we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for that, we’re lucky she cares...” The fox girl said with a warm smile… It seems like they’re indebted to her… It almost sounded like everything here… Was because of her… “Hm? What is it, Maxi?”

“No it’s just… kinda hard to believe that woman made all of this possible.” I answered, still feeling bewildered.

“I’m not surprised you say that.” She emphatically responded. Guess even for these people here it’s hard to believe.

“Hmm… Actually if it’s because of her that you’re here and tied to the girl then I might get caught in the crossfire. There’s no way I can help you in that case.” The mercenary suddenly said to my surprise.

“Huh? What?” I replied completely shocked at her words.

“I’m not about to go against someone who caused The Cleansing of Humanity, no one remotely sentient will go against her, me included.” She began explaining. “A mercenary still has their self-preservation after all, no one's gonna take a job that’ll leave them dead instead of paid.”

“I… What the hell?” It’s hard to believe even someone as notorious as her is unwilling to oppose that woman, just what are we dealing with here? “Just what is-”

“Belphi! Your foods are ready!” The bartender said, interrupting our conversation and… What the fuck!? This looks like a feast for multiple people! Don’t tell me she’s gonna eat all of that!

“Well it’s time to indulge myself, no more questions.” She nonchalantly said while I can only stare wordlessly.

“It’s just her usual, don’t worry about it.” The fox girl said seeing my reaction.

“Are you kidding me with the size of that thing I can’t help but be worried!” I said back, completely losing my composure. Just what is going on with this place!?

9