Chapter 15: Maxi: The Two
259 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We really need to play cautious with this pair…” The fox girl next to me said with two curved swords in her hands. She looks quite cautious and clearly is afraid of these two in a fight.

“Ready yet? It seems like you two are frozen in fear.” The rabbit girl asked callously. Just watch you little shit!

“I’ll make you eat those words!” I said before running at her. Let’s see how she thinks of this!

*Swing* *Clank*

“What!?” She stood still and took the axe swing without even attempting to block it. Swung at her side and it doesn’t even scratch her clothes! What the hell is-

*Swing* *CLANG* *THUD*

“Ugh!” She quickly countered with an attack of her own. I barely blocked that but it somehow managed to launch me back, that was like almost fifty feet! “What the hell is she made out of!?”

“She’s just that powerful, her defense is simply too high for you to do anything about it.” She explained. How in the world can someone become so strong weaponry just stopped working!? “Ever heard of mana-cladding?”

“What? No.” I replied, dumbfounded that she’s trying to explain something in the middle of a fight.

“Basically it’s a-”

“Shut up and let’s fight already!” The wolf girl yelled out, seeing neither of us moving in.

*Dash*

In just a short moment she closed the distance between us and is now right in front of the fox girl.

“Darn!” It’s pretty clear she isn’t ready for that, barely holding up her swords to protect herself.

*Sizz*

They suddenly ignited and were surrounded by flames.

*CLASH*

“Ugh!” The wolf girl’s fist clashed with the two burning swords, and the fox girl was the one blown back. Just what in the world are these two!? Before I could fully comprehend what just happened, the fox girl took her time to look at me. “Focus, Maxi!”

“Huh?” Before I knew it I could feel something hitting me.

*SLAM*

“GAH!” I got hit by the flat side of the giant broadsword and sent flying again.

“I was expecting someone who is at least experienced in battle. I guess I was wrong to presuppose.” The rabbit girl who attacked me just now said, holding the weapon I dropped after getting hit. “Anyway…”

*Dim*

“What now?” I muttered to myself as suddenly the axe floated up and spun in the air. Some sort of magic? Is she doing that chantless?

“Have your weapon back.” She condescendingly said before-

*Launch*

“Shit!” It’s aiming right at me!

*Duck*

What was scary as all hell… How in the world am I supposed to… Argh this is so frustrating! At least she let go of the control of my weapon…

“Frozen in fear already?” She taunted. She’s certainly arrogant with that tone of hers…

“Shut it!” I grabbed the axe and ran right at her. I’ll just have to hit her harder this time!

*Clank*

“Dammit!” Just have to hit her harder again!

*Clank*

Again!

*Clank*

It isn’t working!

“Guess it’s my turn.” She said in a chilling voice, holding her giant broadsword, ready to swing it right at me. I need to-!

*CLASH* *CLANG*

I barely managed to hold my ground from that… I need to make sure to not try that too many times.

*Sizz* *Dim*

Suddenly her giant broadsword is engulfed in dark flames.

“Dodge it if you can.” She said, ready to swing the air. What is she-

*Swing* *Blast*

“What!?” It’s some sort of projectile that was launched from the infused blade.

*Evade*

I stepped to the side and barely avoided it. Is she supposed to be a swordsman or a mage?

“GAH!” Meanwhile that fox girl is getting juggled around despite her opponent being unarmed. Is she some sort of martial artist? Maybe also a mage?

“Don’t get distracted now.” The rabbit girl in front of me noted, looking confident with her casual stance.

Suddenly she rushes in towards me with light flaring up from her body. This one going to-

*Fade*

“What?” Did she just phase through me? “How did-

*GRIP*

“It seems you weren’t familiar with illusions.” She mockingly said as she grabbed my neck from behind. She’s lifting me up with no apparent strain at all!

*SLAM*

“Urgh!” She slammed me into the hard ground, gripping on my head and keeping it there.

“I think a point is made by now.” She muttered before suddenly loosening her grip and casually backed off. What is she doing now?

“The hell do you mean?” I asked as I stood back up with my weapon in hand.

“It means we aren’t really comparable in terms of strength and skill. Perhaps my expectations were a tad too high.” She said as she held her hand up, clearly having no intention to fight anymore.

“Oof!” Meanwhile the fox girl collapsed to the ground, clearly exhausted. It doesn’t even look like she even does anything with how completely nonchalant the wolf girl looks.

“Alright then…” The rabbit girl said before the wall of light fades away longside our weapons. What a weird place…

It was completely one-sided no matter how I sliced it, as infuriating as it is to admit. I thought she was just some callous woman.

“This just feels like bullying…” The bull girl muttered as she walked over alongside the two other girls. Suddenly the area we’re in lights up for a moment, and any muted pain I feel starts to disappear.

“Doesn’t look like there’s much improvement on your end.” The wolf girl said to the fox girl. “Maybe we can bring you somewhere a bit more dangerous now that you have a companion, that should-”

“Enough of that, Tana.” The rabbit girl interrupted her. “Anyway. Perhaps it being two-on-two was a bit unfair with the disparity in strength, maybe later on one of us should sit it out.”

“I guess that’s fair.” The wolf girl replied. They’re seriously thinking about doing this again?

“Now that that’s over with, how about we go give Flosa a visit? I’m sure you’re dying to see her.” The rabbit girl said before looking at the bull girl.

“Why do you act like we’ll die unless we’re attached to the hip…” She said with exasperation.

“She just likes dramatizing things, you should know that…” The fox girl said.

“That whole spiel aside, what do you think?” The wolf girl said, looking at me for some reason. “About the battle just now, I mean.”

…What am I supposed to say? I don’t like the result, that’s for sure. What does she expect me to say?

“Maybe save the questions for later…” The fox girl chimes in. Glad she’s sticking it out for me, though she’s part of the reason I’m even here right now.

“Before we go elsewhere do you two need a breather?” The rabbit girl asked. I’m not feeling much of anything so I guess I don’t…

“I’ll be fine…” The fox girl answered. “Let’s keep up the pace, alright?”

“If you insist.” The rabbit girl replied, sounding a bit skeptical. “Guess we should keep moving.”

They then walked to the warp point, pressing on the panel that I still have no idea how it worked.

*Beep* *Shine*

And now we’re elsewhere. It looks like the same room but I’d imagine we’re actually somewhere different.

“Hup! Hah!” Suddenly I can hear someone new who seems to have a workout going. Everyone turns to look at the source of the sound, and it’s a person with pink hair, wearing an odd-looking green shirt and red scarf, wielding an odd looking double-bladed glaive, with a skin tone that is slightly light green.

“Flosa!” The bull girl ran up to her with a smile on her face.

“Hm? Hey, Ragy. You’re back quickly.” The green girl said in a relaxed tone, smiling at the bull girl.

“I did say they might come here at some point.” She replied.

“Good to see you doing well today.” The rabbit girl chimed in. “Hope the training is going well.”

“Doing the best I could…” She muttered, before looking around and locking eyes with me for a moment. “There’s someone new here.”

“Indeed. Want to introduce yourself?” The rabbit girl replied before looking right at me. Why does she think I am willing to do that? “Nevermind then… Flosa, how about you say hi? She’s still a bit apprehensive.”

“Hm? Sure.” She said casually before approaching me. “I’m Flosa, nice to meet you. What’s your name?”

I really don’t want to talk right now… Can’t others just introduce me to her? They were already doing that.

“Hey. No silent treatment now.” The rabbit girl said before putting her hand on my shoulder. I then look to the fox girl for some help. “Mani, I think you should let her talk a little more. With Flosa at least I think it should be pretty easy.”

“I can think of why that would be…” The fox girl muttered to herself, what is she about now? Can’t she just cover for me again? “I think it’d be good to at least introduce yourself. How about most of you back off for a bit?”

On request most of them back away, leaving me close to this green girl who looks a bit uneasy at the arrangement like I am. Just my luck…

“Fine… I’m Maxi…” I started introducing myself. It’s such an awkward thing to say, a name you know wasn’t your original. But it’s something they will call me regardless… Just… whatever… “No idea what this place is, who you people are, and why am I even here.”

“Oh! I see… It seems like something unexpected happened for you to be here.” The green girl said. I don’t think she has any idea of how ridiculous the whole thing seems to be, something I’m not even confident I know all the details… “It’s surprisingly easy to adjust since everyone is pretty chill around these parts. I think you’ll adjust fine.”

“The hell does that mean?” I asked, confused more than anything.

“Just saying you don’t have to worry and be so paranoid. People here aren’t so distrustful.” She said before extending her hand to me. “Don’t be shy.”

…At this point, might as well go along and shake her hand or whatever.

“Is there anything you want to know about this place? The kingdom, community, whatever you need to know.” She asked aftering letting go, using some kind of overly kind tone.

“I’m good.” I replied quietly.

“Hmm… Well, there’s nothing wrong with that, at least for now. Say, how is your body treating you?” She suddenly asked out of the blue.

“It works fine enough, despite the changes…” I answered. It’s disorienting with everything looking taller, not to mention the numbed sense. I feel like I would’ve panicked a lot more if my memory isn’t so hazy.

“That’s good.” She said before glancing at the fox girl. “I think you're in good hands right now, certainly good fortune, so don’t waste it.”

“Is that all?” I said, starting to feel a bit concerned by what she’s saying. I’d rather we end this conversation right now.

“Yeah, at least for now.” She said with a smile on her. “We’ll probably be seeing each other a lot from now on, let’s be good friends, alright?”

How do these people just keep saying those things casually? With a stranger? Really? “I’ll think about it…”

I can’t really tell if it was all a front or if they’re way too trusting. Though seeing those two girls in action makes me really doubt the latter. I don’t really know what to say or do with these people, it doesn’t feel like I could really lash out if I wanted to.

“Maxi? You okay?” Suddenly the fox girl asked, was I making a bad face or something?

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it.” I muttered. As it is right now, it feels like everything is still uncertain… In the past, it definitely never felt quite like this…

“Okay then! If we’re all done with the sappy talk…” The rabbit girl chimed in. “Where do we go next?”

Here's a doodle of all the characters in this scene made a while back.

MMTRFE[Color].png

3