Chapter 14 – Makeshift Assessment
154 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shortly after, the three teachers that Angus had called to help arrived, each landing in their own impressive fashions. 

The first to arrive descended on the back of a winged beast made of solid fire. It had an obsidian shell on the beast's torso, with obsidian lines running down its legs. This matched very well with the large black jacket the man wore with flaming fur lining the hood and sleeves. He had flame-red hair that was styled into short dreadlocks down the back of his head. He stood tall at a giant height of 6 foot 8 and was solidly built to form an incredibly intimidating figure. He was most likely the so-called 'Flame Prince'.

The next to arrive was an old man. Rather than arriving as the 'Flame Prince' had, he simply appeared on the spot, holding a short sword with strange runes and designs engraved onto the hilt that seemed to glow with a blue hue. He was a lot shorter than the 'Flame Prince' who had arrived first and seemed to be in his 60s, although he acted as if he was a lot younger.

Shortly after, a woman in a tight bodysuit arrived next, being carried by a small pack of winged wolves that seemed to have visible love hearts in their eyes. Upon landing, she was carried down to the ground with the utmost care by the wolves, before she clicked her fingers and they took off back into the air. She had a curvy figure and had a bust size that caused many of the male students to drool, whilst causing a few jealous stares from the females.

Finally, Angus Goldriver stepped out of the forest line, scratching his sore neck as Delta followed close behind him. They arrived at the cluster of confused students, before standing in a line in front of them, calling for their attention.

Delta went and joined the group of students, receiving confused glances from the rest of the students.

Angus clapped his hands to make sure he had everyone's attention, before saying, "due to… unforeseen circumstances, we will have to hold the mana exam slightly later than originally intended. These three", he said as he pointed to the three teachers, "are also mana teachers in the Lower School, and will help me in examining you."

He turned to the three and said, "Please, introduce yourselves".

'Flame Prince' stepped forwards, saying "Very well then. My name is Vergum Salamander of the Salamander family. I am the homeroom teacher of Class M-2A, and I major in pyromancy and war tactics. You may know me as my epithet, 'Red Dragon of the West'."

Audible gasps resounded as the people heard what he had said.

"THE Salamander family?"

"No way!"

"Wait is he the guy from the stories?"

"You mean the one who went toe to toe with a dragon?"

"He's my HERO!"

After a few more minutes of fawning over their newfound celebrity, Angus finally got back the attention of the crowd. He pointed at 'the Enchantress'. "You go next".

"Hey, kids. I'm Vienna Ardensburg, and I will be homeroom instructor of the class M-2B. My majors are enchantments and alchemy. I may not have anything as impressive as Mr Dragon over here, but I am a Rank IV Enchantress and a Rank III Alchemist."

Gasps resounded around the group of students yet again.

"Rank IV and Rank III at such a young age?!"

"Doesn't that put her on the same level as some of the Kingdom's Enchanters?"

"I want to learn from her!"

"Pervert…"

Finally, the old man went.

"My name is Luo. Nice to meet you all!"

An awkward silence pursued.

"Is that it?"

"Nothing else?"

"What a boring old fart!"

Angus expected the old man to add something, but he didn't say anything, so Angus decided that he must have something in mind. The old man was eccentric after all.

Seeing that there was only his left, Angus stepped forwards.

"My name is Angus Gold river. I am the homeroom instructor of class M - 1A, and I major in illusions, and strategy, along with tutoring the unique technique of barding. I will be in charge of these exams."

The crowd seemed to begin talking again, but they found that there was no sound coming out of their mouths. Many of them hadn't seen much magic in their lives, other than the occasional spells for the nobles at dinner parties and the likes, so seeing such a spectacle was enough to send the 12-year-olds into a small frenzy.

Angus paid no attention to this and continued talking anyway. If they didn't listen to what he had said, it went to show for their lack of maturity.

"When your name is called out, by an instructor, you will go and place your hands on the orbs in front of them, and they shall notate the strengths and affinities of your mana. Mana is the only type of magic that can manifest as multiple elements simultaneously. Pact users will normally choose beasts their attributes harmonise with, so you all have your affinities too."

He waved his hand, returning the students their abilities to speak.

"Any questions?"

One student raised their hands, and asked, "Affinities? What are they?"

"..."

Angus sighed, before answering his questions.

"Affinities are your natural harmony to an element, or rarely more than one element. Simply put, it's the element or elements that you have the most talent for. While you will be capable of using magic of all elements with effort, the elements you have an affinity for will be the ones that come to you the most easily, and by that logic, will be the ones that you will most likely specialize in. Rather than trying to be good at everything, which will most likely fail, it is better to specialize in the element or elements you have the greatest affinity for. Now we will test them, and then later assign you a senior with the same or similar affinities so that you can train them to the best of your abilities."

After a short pause, he added,

"Lessons will be done in a completely neutral manner, without any focus on any affinities, and so it will be up to you to train your affinities with your tutors."

Having said this, he returned to the other teachers who were busy setting up a long table that had appeared seemingly out of nowhere. After propping the tables up, they each placed a transparent ball that seemed to have appeared with a simple wave of the hand.

The more observant students like Delta noticed the small glint from the rings and necklaces they wore whenever they made things appear, but most of the students thought they had done some kind of super-fast spell.

Now that everything was set up, the teachers began calling students one by one to the orbs, where they placed their hands and the test began.

"Medium Affinity to "Water."

"Low Affinity to Darkness"

"Oh? High Affinity to Light!"

The girl that had received this didn't know what it meant, but she smiled loudly after seeing the Enchantress' smile, she figured she must have lucked out.

Majority of the children had Low to Middle-Level Affinities to different elements, with a few having Middle-High and High Affinities in a few different elements.

Listening to the results in his head, Delta managed to establish a table of sorts as to what elements there were.

He had heard:

Fire

Water

Earth

Wind

Light

Dark

Poison

Ice

Lightning

Plant

"Delta?" Vienna called out.

"I'm here"

He stepped up to the table, placing his hands onto the disk and standing there until she said something.

He looked deep into the globe, but it seemed empty and devoid of energy. Delta tried to turn away, but he couldn't. His attention seemed to be fully immersed into the globe's interior, and he could slowly feel his mind slipping away.

He tried to resist it, but it was like a firefly trying to outshine the sun. Even with all of his mental training as a mercenary, Delta found himself completely at the grasp of whatever was sucking him in.

Realising he wouldn't be able to resist this force, Delta rested himself against the table so that he wouldn't get hurt if he collapsed or fell.

Suddenly, Delta found himself in a strange place he had never seen before. There were countless stars around him, with galaxies continuing to act as they did and comets zipping past him as if he weren't there.

He seemed to float in one spot as if he had no weight at all, and found himself unable to move, no matter how frantically he waved his arms.

It took him a second to realise he wasn't breathing and was in a state where his body didn't seem to need things like food and water didn't matter. He had been looking forward to lunch earlier, but now he felt like he had eaten recently!

He looked around and saw a large array of small galaxies, each one a different colour.

There was a black one, a white one, along with a red, blue, brown and grey one. Upon looking slightly closer, he also saw green, yellow, light blue and a purple one.

"Ah? You've finally arrived, chosen one."

Delta turned towards the voice but found nothing there.

"Don't worry about where I am, for I am everywhere, yet I am nowhere.

The voice continued, seemingly coming from everywhere, resonating throughout the entire space.

Delta continued to look around anyways, but he couldn't find anything other than the blinding galaxies.

Suddenly, the voice seemed to change its origin, going from everywhere to right behind him.

"Come Nozumu, let's have a chat."

Delta spun around to defend himself but found himself completely powerless.

Delta's face darkened immediately. "How do you know my name?"

9