Chapter 19 – The ability to use light
120 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19 – The ability to use light

 

‘What’s your ability then?’ I asked. The ability might help us in the future when we need it.

 

‘The ability to use light.’ Nova raised his paws and a pair of light beams came out of his paws.

 

 

*SILENCE*

 

 

‘So you’re a flashlight.’ It was not a fear inducing ability nor was it a good ability. It wasn’t even a mid-tier ability if you were to ask me.

 

‘Wha- I spent almost 4 weeks in hibernation to cultivate it! It’s not just a flashlight.’ Nova stomped his foot and became somewhat upset by what I said.

 

‘U-huh, so what does it do?’ I raised a brow and looked at the small fluff.

 

‘Well, I can bring beams of light from my hand.’ Nova then put his right palm up and a beam of light came out once again.

 

‘So it’s a flashlight.’ The light didn’t seem to have anything special to it. It’s just plain…light. I mean, it would help if we get trapped in a dark place.

 

‘No, it’s not.’ Nova puffed his cheeks and denied that his ability was not so good.

 

‘Can you make the light bigger?’ I flipped my body on the bed and laid on my back.

 

‘Well, I still can’t but I’ll eventually do it.’ Nova was trying his best to tell me that his ability was good, that it wasn’t just a random useless ability he got.

 

‘Hmm, flashlight.’ I thought to myself confirming that his ability was, after all, a flashlight. Something you can turn on and off and provides light.

 

‘Ugh.’ He gave up trying to tell me that it wasn’t a flashlight and just laid down on the bed as well.

 

I decided to tell Nova everything that happened in the past 3 weeks. I had put emphasis on why I can’t detect any orbs coming from some of the leads such as Natalie, Julia, and even Lucas. The talk soon went from what he missed to the dreams I’ve been having; that Yvonne talked to me. I asked him why it was possible, how she can talk to me through my dreams.

 

‘How?’ Nova was bewildered by what I said.

 

‘I wouldn’t have asked you if I know the answer.’ That’s the point, I don’t know why that’s why I’m asking you how.

 

‘I…I didn’t think that could happen.’ Nova frowned.

 

‘The reality I created neither includes spirits nor the dead; something that I didn’t create shouldn’t be existing in the first place.’ Nova himself was confused by this; the writer of the book himself doesn’t even know what’s going on.

 

“Maybe it’s connected to the fact that we can’t sense the orbs, even though the leads are engaging with each other?” I said. Since there was another factor that may or may not have changed the flow of the story. Nova and I know that my existence in this body was already a factor that can change the novel, and he took that risk of distorting the reality itself just so he could get his abilities back, even just a little bit of it.

 

“There must be another factor other than me, something that created a ripple.” The novel wasn’t branching out from the original storyline that much since Nova made sure that I didn’t affect any major events in the book, that’s why it was off-putting when some events weren’t happening at all.

 

“Where’s the second lead anyway? She should’ve sparked his passion for art by now.” It was only small details that were changed. Details such as how Lucas treats Natalie; how Julia gave her present earlier and even got rejected in a harsh way; how I haven’t seen Natalie’s cousin, he was supposed to show up in school continuously because of Natalie.

 

‘Wha- you literally turned the second lead into a lackey-‘

 

There were so many things that I was thinking about that I couldn’t pay attention to what Nova was saying. Things regarding my dreams, how the progression of the novel became slower, and how some of the events were getting triggered but are not providing the expected results like giving us orbs, creating a spark, or progressing any of the feelings of the lead for Natalie.

 

“I don’t know what to do anymore. This shit’s harder than performing a craniectomy.” I found it difficult dealing with things that I wasn’t familiar with, stuff that never even crossed my mind that actually exists. I don’t have a hard time adjusting, there’s just a lot of things that I still can’t believe. Like there are actually other people out there, not just humans. There are things so powerful that can create a reality, languages that are beyond my comprehension.

 

(Craniectomy- a surgery that removes pressure in an area of your brain by removing a part of your cranium.)

 

We spent the night talking about what had happened and what might happen, what we need to prepare for, and what we need to do. Nova and I also decided to pay more attention to the dreams that I have been having and try to communicate with Yvonne… if she really is here.

 

.

.

.

 

*A week later*

 

“For fuck’s sake, can you move your ass already?” This guy has been slacking off since yesterday and it’s not helping any of us. Fred already had it and told him to move his ass. Fred was putting all of the décor together with us and he had enough of the guy.

 

It was already the day of the festival and we have been moving our stuff from our class room to our booth outside. It was exactly 5 pm in the afternoon and the festivities would start in about an hour and we’re almost done putting up our booth. We had a large cage made out of wood and metal, it was as big as a normal sized room.

 

Luckily, we were located under the row of trees that follows a path to the side of the school so it wasn’t too hot when we stood there put our booth together.

 

“Yvonne, change now.” Julia handed me the mascot suit and I sighed to myself.

 

‘It’s okay, at least you can use it as cover.’ Nova, knowing that I hate the heat inside the suit, assured me.

 

Today was Lucas’s birthday, December 6th, the actual date of his birth.

 

 

Lou: Ya'll probably wondering where I've been haha...I'm sorry. I had to prepare for finals and needed to finish my SIP report and rushed all my due date projects for the month. I immediately got a writer's block after those three weeks and spent the next few days crying because I can't write sh*t. I'm currently stuck at chapter 32 and easing my way back into writing. I'm really sorry for the long wait.

3