Chapter 2 ACCEL
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was no way he would not attract attention. He was a tall man in an age where the average person was significantly smaller due to nutrition. On top of that, he was wearing a suit and a glaring set of sunglasses. Not at all common for the style of this world and especially in the location he wound up in. He walked with a posture that projected strength and importance. It was a habit he had built up following his father’s shadow, and it would have been smart to break it here if he wished to not cause a scene. That was simply not going to happen.

He had found himself outside a fairly large city. By the open gates and drawbridge. The outer walls were grey and made of mismatched bricks. There was a line of people and caravans entering the city. The guards were wearing dark brown western leather armour with metal helmets that did not cover their faces.

 

Everyone was staring at him. He had gone to the back of the line and slowly advanced with it. 

People would murmur and oddly enough he found himself understanding them. It wasn’t Japanese or any language he knew at all but the meanings and intents of their conversations reached him with absolute fidelity. The words were not too different from what he was used to.

It didn’t surprise him. Comments about his height, his style, his body, and everything else.

At least they didn’t focus on the colour of his hair. There was a time when he had dyed it black in middle school to make such comments stop back in Japan but… well, it was one of the few times his father got mad at him. He was absolutely furious. “Don’t hide it! It’s not a mark of shame. It’s part of who you are. Just like the ink on my back. Don’t be afraid to be you. If any kids bother you about it, shout proudly who you are! If that doesn’t work apply a little pressure. Whatever you do, don’t let others crush your soul. Do that and you’ve already lost.”

 

Words used to be like daggers. Now they were simply raindrops. So he tuned the words out until he was at the front of the line, past the drawbridge and before the gates and guards.

The two men stared at him with intensity while the men on the ramparts looked down with curiosity. The two guards were around the same height and muscle mass. 

Probably to look intimidating but for Eisu they were average height while he towered above them.

Having lived by yakuza all his life, he could never be intimidated by just some big men.

“What’s your business here!?” Their voices carry strength or at least a projection of it made to shake the more common folk. To Eisu it was nothing more than yelling in his ear that didn’t phase him at all, as if he was wearing headphones and could barely make out what the other people were saying. “That depends on you. I’m looking to learn magic. Got what I need?”

A whistle rang out in response to Eisu’s demands.

 

It had come from a large white-skinned bald man. He looked to be in his thirties and was wearing armour that seemed a little bit too large for him, though his head was clearly displayed. 

His eyes were a sharp dark brown and he came forth with a grin. His teeth were sharp.

If comparing size he was actually about the same as Eisu. With the appearance of this figure Eisu completely ignores the two smaller guards and walks past them towards the man.

“Sounds like you’re open to negotiation.” The two men now stood face to face and only about an inch away from each other. Eisu had to get close enough for him to see his eyes under the glasses he wore. In most circles being polite and graceful was the best first impression you can give. Not for him. It made his skin crawl to fake niceties and bow his head down. This had always suited him better. It was just how his hot blood ran. Both men had what seemed to be crooked smiles. The bald man opened his mouth next.

 

“Well, you look strong. Certainly talking the talk but what matters is if you can walk the walk. I’m Lieutenant Angus. This here is the city of Antes. The ones in charge are us the Crusaders of the Horn. Whose boss is, of course, the magnificent Minoseus. We’ve got one creed. Power is everything and one rule, don’t mess with the boss unless you have a death wish.”

Eisu didn’t flinch at all and just sighed. “Was that your sales pitch? Thankfully I’m smart enough to read between the lines. You’re saying if I join up with you guys and prove my worth, I’ll get whatever I want, right? The city belongs to the boss and if I want a slice of the pie, I gotta pull my weight and be useful.” 

Angus nodded his head in satisfaction. “Good. Some people aren’t as quick on the uptake. Fools who can’t understand who rules this city always make a mess… the newbies have to clean up all the blood that’s left behind, normally that’d be your job but I think we can afford to put a tough guy like you a bit above the grunt level.” The man looked happy his little advertisement had worked but his happiness was smeared away in an instant. “I didn’t say yes.”

The bald man grumbled and sighed. “Look here, kid, I was going to give you a little bonus for signing up but now you’ve got to give me some lip? Listen, if you want to be some chump who gets nothing done, fine by me. No one is going to teach you magic unless you’re with the Horn. It’s not allowed. Can’t have some uppity peasants getting any ideas. Got it? You join us or go find some other city. Not that they’ll do anything for you either unless you’re filthy rich.” 

 

It was now Eisu’s time to sigh. “I see. I get it. Look, I’m not the guy who is just going to shut up and do what he’s told. So, at least let me see what I’m getting into. I can make a choice then. You said you don’t care if I don’t do shit, right? Well, give me a tour. I like what I see, I can help you out. If I don’t? I’ll get out of your hair. You don’t have much to lose this way right? If it’s muscle you need… I can handle myself in a fight.” Make a strong impression but do not be unreasonable. The first thing he was taught in regards to communication from his old man.

“Well, look what we’ve got here… alright, fine. I’ll show you around. I was getting bored anyway. C’mon then. Trail behind me and witness us.” Angus turned his back on Eisu and began to march forward into the city with him following just a few paces behind. As they advanced, people made way and bowed their heads or ran off skittishly.

The town wasn’t particularly spectacular. Sure, to Eisu it was like walking into the set of a historic drama but it was just small houses, stalls, shops, and poor brick roads. A small city filled with extremely impoverished people that looked like they owned little more than the clothes on their back. To contrast, there were plenty of rich merchants dressed in silk and soldiers pushing their weight around like they owned the place. The disparity in wealth and influence was abundantly clear.

 

There were several larger buildings that seemed to be barracks for the soldiers and guards. At the very centre of the city of Antes was a small western castle. A small castle is still massive to most people, most certainly to Eisu, but even so… he couldn’t find himself too shocked or excited to see it. While the main section seemed to be done there were workers and scaffolds clearly there to expand its size. Painters were coating the grey bricks white.

Eisu just stared at it. As if it was an eyesore. The mansion of his father wasn’t by any means small or unstylish, however, it was never so huge or grandiose. That was intentional. 

“It’s important to show you’re a cut above the rest. It’s foolish to waste money and manpower just to make a statement though. Remember that. There’s a certain guy who is always trying way too hard. Do you know who I’m talking about Ace? Yep. Him. Trust me. Don’t ever do things the way he does. It’s just overcompensating at best or letting his hang-ups rule him at worst. We’re yakuza. We’re not dirt or scum, but we’re not those rich kids who had it made either. Well, I’m me and you’re you. Do what your heart tells you.”

 

“It’s a work in progress but it’s going to look great. When we first came here with the boss, this place was rundown and that castle was just a wooden fort coming apart at the seams.” Angus was proud of the establishment in comparison. There was something in that look in his eyes that reminded Eisu of something though he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. They continued walking across the city. Soldiers saluted their lieutenant when they saw him. When they walked through the market district, the vendors rushed to give Angus some gifts. Fresh fruit, small valuable looking trinkets, and silver coins. Tribute to stay in his good graces. Nothing Eisu hadn’t seen before. 

Eventually, they came to a road where the buildings gave out the scene of booze and fragrant perfume. Eisu groaned.  He knew a red light district would exist. He wouldn’t even say he hated them. Even though he was not as well versed in history or the fantasy genre as some of his friends back in high school, a sinking feeling began to grossly squirm across his skin. 

He knew what type of man he was. The type to crush anything that pissed him off and damn the consequences. He was also the type of man not to turn his eyes away from the truth.

“C’mon! I’ll treat you to some good girls! All the troops of the Horn get priority. This will sway you for sure! Stop trying to act tough and take a load off!”

 

With caution in his heart, Eisu followed his guide into a seedy establishment.

He saw a bar counter with a somewhat muscular but middle-aged man with a dark blonde beard and scruffy hair washing mugs. He had seen better days for sure. 

Everywhere else, there were round tables and stools as well as comfortable red coloured couches that betrayed the feudal like world that Eisu had witnessed so far.

Women wearing low cut dresses while drinking with men were littered all across the place.

There were a set of stairs going downwards into a basement and a set going upwards to a second floor with many doors. Every so often, within the clamour of the establishment, you could hear giggles, tears and moans leaking from above and below.

 

Eisu’s eyes darted across the room. He sighed. Took off his sunglasses. WIped them. Put them back on again and began to ball his fists. He began to utter a low growl as he spotted familiar marks of idiocy. Bruises and cuts. Measures were taken to keep them less visible but for someone like him, he’d seen it all. This was a man lighting a match next to a fuse of dynamite.

Angus called out to the barkeep and began to walk towards him. “Give us two mugs of beer and the best girls you’ve got!” Eisu stretched out his arm and held the bald man back.

“The girls here. Are they being forced to sell the goods?” His voice was stern and direct. Like an arrow aimed at the heart and ready to let loose the moment he felt a hint of displeasure. Angus could sense it, the tension of a man sharpening his knife. “If they didn’t want to be here, they could leave. What? You a prude? A real by the books man of the faith?” There was some mocking there but it was a line to fish out his feelings. “Nothing like that. There are things I like and things I hate, and I crush what is unsightly before me.” 

“These girls… are covered in wounds. Scars. That's okay with you too?”

The two men break away from each other and their eyes lock. Sparks begin to catch fire.

“Look. These girls need money. If it means a few sickos get a bit rough… well, they’ll be compensated accordingly. A few cuts and scrapes here and there for some extra coin. A moment of pain for something well worth it.” There’s a speechless silence. The men and women of the building turn their eyes towards the pair who were now in the dead centre of the room. 

Then a scream.

 

A girl is dragged kicking and screaming from the stairs that lead to the basement. She’s being carried by two guards. Eisu locked onto the trio and clicked his tongue. The girl looked about his age. Her skin was alabaster white, except where fresh blood dripped from knife wounds. She was the first fantastical sight he witnessed. White puffy fur was around her hips, wrists and neck. Her eyes were red and her head had two long upwards ears instead of being on the side.

A literal bunny girl. Her hair was a light blonde colour, much shinier than his own. It was however ruined by hasty and shoddy cutting. To him, it was clear that the hair was long only moments ago, the hair being cut only recently.

 

One guard had a hand around her neck and a dagger poised against it. Another gripped her around the waist and had a pair of scissors. “Stop! I don’t… want to do this! I’m not going to… I… don’t want people to watch!” The girl’s voice was high and filled with desperation. Eisu’s fists tightened. His fury was beginning to rise from the depths of the earth. Hot. Burning. Like magma.

“You were saying!? Is this how you treat the people under your protection?”

Angus could feel it growing. Aggression. It didn’t threaten him but he didn’t want to make a scene. It would cause too much of a headache. “Look, boys can you take her back down. No need to make a show of it, alright?” A slurred response came from the pair of men.

“Hell no! We’re willing to pay so she’s gotta be willing to dish it out! I want her to perform in front of all these people and I’m not leaving until she does!” The man with the knife licked the bunny’s neck and dragged his dagger by her cheek, drawing blood.

 

Eisu took a step forward without uttering another word. Then another and another. Everyone’s eyes were fixed on the large out of place youth who seemed to not be able to read the room at all. In mere seconds Eisu was staring down at the two guards harassing the working girl. If looks could kill, they’d be piles of ash from the smouldering gaze of contempt he was letting loose. 

“W-what do you think you’re doing ya lanky shit? Back off! This is our girl and we paid for her! What, you wanna act the hero? Do something? We’re Crusaders of the Horn! Mess with us and you mess with the boss! The whole damned city! So piss off you wank-!”

Crack. Two skulls slammed together. The goddess Lailah had been watching this all unfold from a flatscreen TV back in her room and placed her head in her hands and released a long deep sigh.  He had finally done it. She was hoping it wasn’t going to come to this. She had to intervene. In her eyes, there was not a single sliver of a chance for Eisu to come out victorious. So she had to bend a rule, though no one in this circumstance would judge her much for it. She murmured to herself and conjured a black cybernetic earpiece with a dash of blue onto her right ear and made a copy and summoned it to Eisu’s right ear. She was going to have to convince him to leave that world. She thought it’d be easy, considering the number of guards slowly getting into formation to surround him. She pressed her right index and middle fingers to the blue part of the communicator and pressed it. Her voice resonated into Eisu’s mind. 

“Hey, this is Lailah. The goddess you chokeslammed. If you don’t want to get shanked in a bar fight, listen to me. I can send you back here and then to a safer world. No need to risk your life in such a dangerous place. You’ll be travelling back before your death in the end anyway, right? So who cares how quickly you get there? Just apologise to me and give me your consent to leave. Got it? Now, say you’re sorry. We’re family after all. Show respect for your careless attitude earlier.”

I grit my teeth in rage. This situation was one I knew well and it was terribly tiresome. Then this haughty lady’s voice made a shit ton of demands. No way I’m backing down from a fight I picked.

“...Family? Screw that shit. I don’t know you. I don’t remember sucking at your teat or being held in your arms. Where the hell were you when I was growing up, huh grandma? The boss was the guy who taught me to fight. To live. Kept me fed. Kept a roof over my head. Pulling the blood card doesn’t do jack for ya. I’ll apologise for harming a lady, especially an old bag like you, but butt out of this. You were never in my life before so don’t start interfering now. I fight my battles. Alone.”

 

I can practically hear her exasperation but I don’t particularly care. I’ve got to focus on the guys right in front of me. Just by looking, I can roughly gauge how strong they are. I’m confident I can wipe the floor with them hand to hand but… sigh. Daggers, broken bottles, chairs, and one spear. That last one is a real problem for me. Have no real experience with dealing with that sort of weapon. Sure, I’ve had to kick the asses of punks with pipes but it’s not really comparable. On top of that, it’s a pretty devastating and effective weapon even in the hands of an amateur. Reach and range are not things to be underestimated. Guns are superior to swords for a reason. Spears are about as good as you can get here for melee range. Still, even if he’s the biggest threat I can’t totally dismiss the others.

“Do you know what you’ve just done you brat!? You laid your hands on some of my men! On Crusaders! I told you there was one major fucking rule! Don’t mess with us! Yet, for some random whore you don’t even know, you go and crack some heads!? Get down on the ground and beg for your life and maybe we’ll let you off with a beating!” Angus roared at me. Veins were practically popping all over his forehead. His face turned a dark hue of red from rage. I sigh at his threat. It’s not even creative. Maybe I’ve just seen them all at this point? Or maybe my own threats are just too good? 

 

“I told you already. I crush what I don’t like. There’s only one man I bow down to and you’re not him. All I see here are a bunch of thugs who don’t get how the underworld works, heck seems you don’t even understand business. I loathe calling people merchandise but you can’t damage the goods like that. Abusing them is going too far. I may be a crook myself, but there’s a fine line between being a career criminal and just some jerk who does whatever he wants because he can. That’s when you just become a common thug. Worse than a piece of trash. It’s clear to see you don’t know the value of life so let me be the one to beat it into you! Don’t worry I’ll be thorough. So, whichever one of you fuckwads wants to die first, get in line!” 

I crack my knuckles and neck. Here they come. Pissed like a bull that just got branded. My fists are going to sting much worse than that though. I’ll beat them within an inch of their life. Ten men in total, eleven if I count Angus. I inhale a deep breath and ready myself. I’m mad at myself. Mad at me for dying. Now that the booze is out of my system and I’ve been set off… well, I can work out my anger issues on these plebeians. 

The bravest and most foolish one comes at me first. Right from behind. I play pressure on the ball of my right foot and then spin my body so it turns 360 degrees. I fling out my right arm to his right wrist. Twist it. “Arrrgghhh!” Pull him towards me. Headbutt. Smash. Thud. Down. It was quick and painful. Just the way I like to do things. I can hear their footsteps stop. Unsure. Hesitation gives me an opening. I let go of the man I fell and home in on the closest guy. He has a knife. Just about two metres away. Close the gap and kick it from his hands and before he can react… right elbow forward with my right fist being pressed onwards with my left palm. Solar plexus. Stunned. Jab with my left fist to the gut three times and finish with a right hook to the face. Thud. That’s two down. Eight more pansy punks to go. One big man.

 

A guy comes at me with a chair. Four legs coming down at my head. That’s what he wants anyway… hell, I’ll give it to him.

It shatters to splinters when it comes into contact with my skull. Don’t flinch or show a hint of weakness. Even if it hurts, don’t let them know. Act as if you are a legend and bring it to them. Right rising kick to his chin. Send him flying. Left fist to his face to help his descent. Crush him into the floor. Make an example of him. Sniff it out. The fear.

“Hiiiieee…!” Pounce. This thug has no weapon. That’s perfect. One bound propelling all my weight is enough to close the gap between us. I let him have it.

A barrage of left jabs and heavy right straights as fast as I can possibly throw them. All to the face. The sound of my arms in motion is cracking thunder and each moment my fists crash into his head, it’s like a gunshot going off. Blood splatters across my face and suit. Sigh. I wonder if there’s a cleaning service in this ancient world? Crack. Bang. Crash. Thud. Oh, he’s done already? I thought people raised in this sort of environment would be a bit tougher. Disappointing. 

His face wasn’t even a good speed punching bag. It was way too quick. Well, at least it helped me silence the guys around me. Seven more. Don’t let them plan things together. In this situation, either the stupidest or the strongest will move and… “hhaarrrgghhuuuu!” Perfect.

 

A flying dropkick. I’m going to guess this guy fits both categories for strong and stupid. I take a deep breath, sidestep out of the way at the last second and then drop an axe kick to his balls.

I hear gasps of pain as many men in the room cover their crotches or wince imagining the brutality. The man below me squirms for a few seconds before choosing to stay still and suffer in silence. Six to go. “I’m not one who likes to hit below the belt when it comes to a fight between men, but I think I can make an exception for trash like yourselves. ...This is taking too long! Come at me all at once! I don’t have all day!”

Audacity. Radiate it. Fighting is also a form of communication. So reading the room and taking the wheel is paramount. Now they are coming together but it’s out of desperation instead of cockiness. That makes them weak and exploitable… they broke their little circle formation. Exactly what I wanted. The man with the spear. He’s mine now. Focus. Stare at the top of the weapon. Wait for it to move towards you. It begins to spin and advance towards my torso. I jump the moment it speeds up and put both feet on the shaft. It takes the guy by complete surprise. Kickflip off of it and kick his neck. I quickly regain my footing and pick up the spear. The other men who were about to charge me stop in their tracks. “Is this really the best you guys can do? Thugs should at least have muscle if nothing else, don’tcha know that? Nah, of course not.” 

 

 I raise the spear sideways and then bring it to my right knee. Snap. I chuck the wooden half to the side and the pointed part, I aim and chuck it out of the window. Using a weapon you don’t know how to wield is far riskier than something you do know. Your fists are your final weapons and I’ve spent every day of every year since I met the boss honing them.  Five more to knock down. Fwssh! I turn my head to the right just as a broken bottle flies and shatters on the wall behind my head. “Didn’t your parents ever teach you not to chuck shit? Unless you think you can play baseball with broken bottles? If that’s your game… let me show you how it’s done!”

I lift up one of the abandoned round tables with both of my hands and raise it over my head. I pull it back as if my whole body is a sling and then throw with all my might at the guard who started this! “Gwaauughh!” Strike. He falls over with the weight of the furniture pushing him down. Honestly, I don’t think that’s enough to down someone but maybe he just doesn’t like his odds and wants to stay on the floor. That’s fine with me. Less hassle in the end. Four left. Time to dismantle. I charge. I’m on the attack now. It pushes them even further back. Really, this is so not worth my time. I leap into the fray.

Flying knee to the face. Right fist to left temple, he drops down and I follow up by smacking my feet into his gut. Three remain. Gradually I lower my body as I sprint to the next guy. He throws a kick at me. I drop my weight entirely and slide. I’m in the middle of the three remaining grunts. I place both hands on the ground between my legs. Sweep. Thud. Thud. Thud. Three consecutive collapses. That’s not enough of course. They begin to wail. “W-wait, s-stop! I give up, I give up!” Eat boot. Meet fist. For the last guy, I got to send an extra special message. I clasp my fingers together and form a fist hammer. “I was wrong! Sorry! Forgive-!” I bring it down. “Ghukkkuuaa!” 

 

I let out a whistle as I caught my breath. “Have I gotten faster? Sure feels like it. Or is this just because I’m sober now? If so, that makes me extra mad. Sigh. So, boss man. You going to lower your head and apologise for these dumb wits or do I have to educate you too?” 

Clap. Clap. Clap. Oh fuck, it’s going to be drivel and bullshit. I roll my eyes. As Angus opens his mouth. “You are good. Not the best I’ve seen but damn good. To drop ten boys like that without suffering a scratch? You’re not all talk after all. Not all brawn either.” Oh, spare me. I hate this. It’s always the same. The start of a dick measuring contest. “I never caught your name. I need to know what to carve on your tombstone.” Hm? Hoh. That’s a little different. 

“Mochizuki Family Captain, Amano… Ace. That is the name of the man who will send you to hell.” He starts to laugh. It’s mirthful and loud. He is a lieutenant after all. Maybe he’ll actually put up a fight. “I’m sure you know, Lieutenant Angus. The failures of subordinates are on the shoulders of their commanding officers. You didn’t teach them properly. That means whoever taught you fucked up hard and whoever taught them either ignored the issue or is the biggest pile of shit in the heap… so tell me, is this you being a shithead on your own or are your elders as rotten as these idiots?” I lightly kick one of the fallen guards and he groans in response. “Please, no more.” Weak. 

 

Hm? Angus falls completely silent. No more mocking applause or threats. The air around him begins to twist. Burn and sear. His armour begins to rattle. I can see the veins on his head pulsate like they are about to burst. His skin is… turning red!? Not like from alcohol or anger but actually scarlet hued! This tension in the air. It’s like an earthquake. I can hear the shuffling of feet. Something’s different. I look him right in the eyes and the white and his pupils are slowly consumed by topaz yellow. His forehead especially begins to rumble as something white begins to emerge from it. Sharp. Shiny. A singular rhino-esque horn. His teeth become gleaming daggers. His ears were now as long and sharp as knives. Skin like a blood moon. 

His voice was now far more baritone. “No one. I mean, no one, insults the captain and no one. Especially wandering shit in the wind like you, can talk about the boss.” I can hear a seething rage come out of his voice. Ready to burst. “It seems that you actually had a shred of honour within you. I won’t hold back as I did on your men. Still, to think my first real magical encounter in this world would be something I’m so familiar with. An oni. Perhaps I shall take your head back with me to Japan? I’m sure my boys back home will get a kick out of that. Let’s begin.”

I raise both of my fists to just below my face. My left a bit further out then my right. Ready to duck and weave. I’ll need to actually hold a stance for this. Still not as good as Pops in that regard… sorry, I might take a little longer than I thought, dad. 

 

“...I can’t believe it. He’s already using the Accel spell off of instinct. He’s even got 10% magic output… it’s not enough to beat that oni but to think he got that from living on Earth…” The Goddess bit her lip. If she couldn’t convince him to leave she’d need to teach him to win.

0