18 – The Auction’s Close
69 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“For our final item,” the auction master said, “We have!” The wooden stage opened and the stone altar rose again. “A divine ranked mana crystal!”

If there was an uproar before when the princess emerged, absolute chaos broke out when the auction master announced that.

Shouts filled the air. Flashes of magic and weapons flew towards the stage. Some people even vaulted from the balcony to try and grab the item. But-

“Tut, tut!” The auction master wagged his finger and said, “Blatantly breaking the rules like this… It seems that we’re being underestimated!” The auction master snapped his fingers, causing a staff to appear in his right hand. “The penalty for interrupting the auction is death.

Mana surged, an insane amount that felt like the sky was falling down.  

Emerald lights scattered in the auditorium. Wherever they met with a person, their body collapsed to the ground like a puppet with snipped strings. Immediately, all signs of life vanished. An instant death.

Seeing that made Vaan freeze up.

That… He thought that he made the proper preparations, but it seemed that he really couldn’t underestimate anything or anyone.

It was also good that he put on a strong front at the beginning in front of Thomas and that he didn’t push too far. Otherwise, with the spell that auction master used… no, with the way that auction master had utilized his mana to instantly kill the ones trying to steal the item, Vaan’s story would have ended then and there.

The auction master dropped his staff, sending it vanishing in a splash of light, and said, “Now with that settled, let’s start the final bid. Initial price is 100000. I hope no one objects?”

“110000.” An aged voice echoed in the auditorium. “That would be perfect for the next experiment in my research.” The owner of the voice was a hunched figure with a cloud mask, holding a gnarled wooden staff.

“Hmph!” A brash male voice called out. “Only that, old man? Trying to get it at a steal is something I won’t allow! Besides, that crystal is the perfect chance for me to break the barrier! 150000.” That speaker was a man with toned muscles and form fitting leather armor. A mane of crimson hair fell down his back and a solid steel mask obscured his face.

“You damned boy! Fine, 200000!” The hunched figure cursed and raised his bid.

“250000!” It was a new speaker, a knight in full plate mail that had been dyed black. He wore a full helmet with jagged spikes, one that distorted his voice. “My master has ordered me to obtain the crystal at all costs.”

“300000!”

“350000!”

The prices kept rising and rising without end as various people emerged from the woodwork while shouting random reasons.

The sight of it caused Vaan to sweat. Wasn’t this supposed to be a private auction? That was the point of the masks and cloaks, wasn’t it? Then why did it seem like all of those guys knew each other?

As the price went higher and higher, Vaan had a mix of emotions. Eventually, after an hour of fierce bidding, the auction closed at the final price of 1750000 gold. The winner was that knight in black armor.

“How exciting!” The auction master laughed and sent the crystal back beneath the stage. “First a group of miscreants and then such a fierce bidding war. But sadly, this is it for our latest Dark Mark Auction. For those who were unable to buy anything this round, worry not. Your down payments and line of credit will be refunded to you in full as a sign of good will. As for future visits, please hold onto the card as it will alert you to the next auction. Of course, whether or not such exciting items will reappear again, who knows? What we can guarantee however is that you will definitely regret missing it. Now,” the auction master bowed and said, “I bid you adieu.”

Green flames enveloped the auction master. When they died down, he vanished, leaving behind an empty stage.

A moment later, the doors opened and people wearing clothes embossed with an emerald skull walked in. The associates that would guide everyone out of the underground to a private exit.

The same held true for Vaan’s booth. One man walked in and gestured towards the white-haired woman, that Levitica. “I am your escort, Miss. Follow me and I will lead you to the exit.”

The first princess turned to stare at Vaan. For a moment, she looked like she wanted to say something to him. However, she let out a sigh and then turned towards the man that had walked in. “Understood.”

The escort nodded and walked out of the booth, Levitica following behind him.

The doors closed, and then a second later reopened to reveal the auction master… Or so it seemed. But when that man pulled off his mask, it revealed Thomas, beaming at Vaan. The crime lord walked over, chuckling. “You magnificent bastard. Tell me honestly, did you plan that?”

Seeing that, Vaan’s caution went up. It seemed that had drastically underestimated Thomas’s capabilities… But even so, he calmly removed his mask and said, “Plan what?”

“You felt guilty about my subordinate and decided to give me a gift, didn’t you? Buying the second princess for such an outrageous price… It was a master stroke!”

Vaan tilted his head. That Thomas… Maybe the stress from being such a powerful crime lord had gotten to him.

“Anyway,” Thomas said, “Since you earned us such a profit, I’ll let go of the past. Feel free to contact me at any time- No, I beg you to contact me whenever you run across something as rare as a divine mana crystal again. I’ll give you an unlimited line of credit in the auction when you do.” Saying those words, Thomas bowed his head.

Faced with such out of character actions, all Vaan could do was stare.

“Oh, right.” Thomas raised his head. “Your winnings! Come, I’ll personally lead you to it. You’re probably anxious to go enjoy that princess, so I shouldn’t keep you waiting too long, hehehe.”

“You’re mistaken on that, but lead the way.”

Thomas nodded and walked back to the door before pushing it open. When the crime lord did, the mana in the surroundings rippled. Vaan narrowed his eyes and watched as the mana seemed to fold in on itself. When the door finally opened, the mana settled down. However, as a result, instead of the hall that had been present the first time they walked in, the door led to a well lit room that seemed like a waiting lounge.

There, the young woman with silver hair, as well as the sacred sword Vaan bought, were waiting. The young woman was seated on a chair, prim and proper, while the sacred sword laid across her lap.

There was a desk in the room as well, and Thomas walked to sit on the other side of it. Rummaging in the desk beneath it, he pulled out a contract and laid it on the table. “Now, first of all we have to go over both your earnings as well as transferring ownership of the princess over there. The usual split for earning is 80/20, with you receiving 80%, but-“

“Just give me 20000. That should be enough.”

Thomas froze.

Vaan ignored him and instead walked over to the princess.

She noticed his action and raised her head slightly, turning her eyes on him. A pure violet, as beautiful as amethysts and yet lacking any sort of focus. A lightless gaze and an emotionless expression. With her silver hair and delicate features, she was like a doll. A beautiful doll that belonged to him and him alone.

Thomas sighed, causing Vaan to look back at him.

The crime lord shook his head and said, “I see where your desires lay at least… but taking so much of the earnings leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t want to be indebted to people, you especially-“

“Then just find some useful skill books and grimoires and send them to me. You can use the rest to expand your syndicate or whatever.”

Thomas was quiet and narrowed his eyes. “You… Hm. I really cannot read you, can I?”

Vaan shrugged. “Often I cannot read myself.”

“…Is that so?” The crime lord turned to look at the princess. “Well, Mister V. Have you considered what your story is going to be when you show up in public with the second princess by your side? Not only that, but as your slave?”

Vaan froze.

He didn’t think that through. There had been immediate recognition from the people in the auction. Not to mention the fact that the first princess would have it out for him with how he opposed her. The mask was one thing, but he was drawing a target to himself the moment he showed up in public, wasn’t he?

Thomas laughed. “Don’t tell me you didn’t think that far ahead? Or is your strength so great it’s a non-issue?”

Vaan frowned and stared at the young woman in front of him. A beautiful face, distinct silver hair, an enticing body… together it gave off a charm he didn’t want to hide. And yet… hm.

Thomas shrugged. “Well, regardless, since you’ve been so generous tonight, I’ll give this to you as a token of appreciation.” The crime lord pulled something out from his desk and placed it on the table. A ring.

Vaan glanced at it and said, “That is…?”

“A ring of doubt. The workings are a bit complicated, but in summary it will make the wearer become less noticeable. Even if someone recognizes the wearer, that observer will think that they were mistaken. It’s not fool proof, but it should work well enough, don’t you think? Ah, and of course…” Thomas placed another ring on the table. “One for you as well. A matched set so that you can clearly distinguish each other.”

Vaan walked over to the table and picked up the rings. The mana structure was indeed complicated, giving off an oily feel. “I guess this is similar to what you use, huh?”

Thomas smiled. “You know me well. But yes, those rings are a modified version of what I and my men use in the field. Like I said, it’s not fool-proof, but it’s subtle. Better than a complete illusion at least.”

“Hm.” Vaan nodded and pocketed the rings. “Thanks.”

“Now with that settled, shall we?” Thomas gestured towards the contract. “Miss Evelyn has been a bit of a hassle to hold, so the sooner she finds a good home the better.”

Vaan picked up the quill and skimmed through the contract. There weren’t any loopholes and the mana readings didn’t seem off. Even if there was something hidden, it felt like something he could break. That settled, he wrote his name on the dashed line and said, “Don’t lie. You just want to eliminate a loose end.”

“Again, you know me well. Though what else can I say from a monstrous being like yourself?”

The moment Vaan finished signing, the contract flared up. The letters making up the contract lifted from the page and shot towards Vaan’s left arm. When it did, they settled into his arm, like a tattoo. The difference was that the tattoo was made of mana, and he could feel a link to the young woman seated on the chair off to the side. In addition, he could feel knowledge settling in his mind. The young woman’s status, her skills, parameters… as well as how to issue orders and restrictions.


[Status Screen]

[Biography]

Name: Evelyn Edenia Slave (May be changed at owner’s whim)

Title: Vaan’s slave, Broken-hearted Princess
Class: Slave
Age: 18 years
Gender: Female
Race: Human

[Parameters]
Strength: C
Endurance: B
Agility: C
Mana: A
Mental Corruption: A

[Divine Providence]
Light’s Wisdom - The ability to utilize light magic to attack, support, and heal. Sealed by the Primogenitor, Holy King Roland.

[Skills]

Intermediate Swordsmanship – The ability to utilize a sword in combat. Has a medium corrective effect, allowing even a novice to show considerable talent.

Advanced Nightly Pleasures – The ability to please another person in nightly affairs. Has a high corrective effect, allowing even a virgin to act as a high class courtesan.

[Conditions]

Will follow Vaan’s every command. Penalty: Severe pain
Will not oppose Vaan or seek to harm him. Penalty: Severe pain
Will not betray Vaan. Penalty: Death

2