Chapter 02 – This is very familiar…
457 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All right.

This is not the time to hold back.

Using all my strength, I pushed the table in my room aside, revealing a pile of hidden papers underneath. They were given to me by the goddess, she once told me these could be used to contact her in times of need. 

I have never faced any major problem until now, so they’re well hidden under this table. 

But now, my three years of youth are at risk! No more time left to be frugal!

Let’s aim for a more popular me!

I took one of the paper sheets in my hand and got a good look at it. The surface was white without any noticeable characteristic, just the kind of generic paper you could get at any shop. Dipping a quill pen in black ink, I started to write my request.

Hmm, how should I do this?

 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Dear Goddess,

First, I want to thank you for your help. I know it has been a long time, and you probably wouldn’t remember me, but my life here has been overall a satisfactory experience, owing much to your patronage. My Mom and Dad are both nice people, and they take care of my every need.

However, there is this one problem nagging at me that can’t seem to resolve itself. It has been on my mind for weeks, and without your help, I would be nothing more than a lost lamb. Please answer me, O Goddess, how can I be more popular?

Please reply whenever you want. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

 

Yours faithfully,

Sylvia.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

 

Maybe something like this?

I hope it will do the job.

Next, I chanted a simple fire magic and a small flame pillar burst up, consuming the paper. 

All that’s left is to wait for her reply, and that did not take long.

When I was about to blow the candles out and go to sleep, a sheet of paper, to my surprise, materialized in my bedroom out of thin air.

She replied!

Here is one step closer to my popular life!

I jumped out of the warm blanket and looked at the content after catching it in my hand. The text on it read,

 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Sure

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

 

...

I took a minute to collect myself.

That’s it?

Just one word?

This Goddess that patronized me, isn’t she a bit sloppy?

If she is my parent in some ways, can I sue her for parental negligence?

But she complied with my request, even when the detail was expressed so succinctly … should I take that as a positive thing?

What could she even do for me?

As if to answer my questions, not long after, a second paper materialized.

I grabbed it with great speed.

 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Just to clarify things I’m kinda low on power, so could I take a fee on this request? It won’t be much I promise~

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

 

I stared at the paper in my hand. 

Ah, so you’re that kind of person, goddess.

But you will take care of my request, so I guess all is fine.

After writing one final thank-you letter to her, I felt like a huge weight was taken off my shoulder. I could now sleep with my mind at ease.

...

Nggh~

It’s already morning.

I hate this cold … I hate this cold … why would anyone think living here is a good idea...

Trying to cover a sneeze, I reluctantly got out of bed.

The outside was still dark due to the little amount of sunlight it received. There is a strong snowstorm outside too, so opening the window is totally out of the question.

Maybe I should head outside later to get some fresh air, when the storm has calmed down.

Today was a day-off for me. Dad left a note saying he won’t be back until tomorrow, and Mom is all over her friends’ houses as always.

I currently have all the house to myself, but I don’t feel particularly great about that … I have no one I could invite over to take advantage of this fact.

Let’s just have breakfast on my own then.

While I was munching on a toast of bread, a sheet of paper materialized before me. With my right hand still occupied with the toast, I caught it with one hand.

 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

The system is ready, good luck~

 

Yours faithfully goddess (first time I try this in a letter, be grateful okay (>‿◠)✌)

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

 

That goddess…

How many brain cells did she have, I wondered? 

Just what made her eligible to be a goddess?

However, talks of intelligence aside, what she mentioned in the letter left me curious.

System?

A big question mark appeared on my face.

What system?

Suddenly, I could feel a surge of mana in my head. Something was invading my inner mana pool.

It was like a tidal wave, rising and rising, and what came with it was pain, as if something fundamental in my body was being reshaped.

The pain did not last for long, and when it dissipated, I could feel something different in my mana pool. I tried to invoke it. A blue panel appeared in front of me, blocking my view.

 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Welcome to the DIY Idol System! Made by the cutest Goddess in the whole universe, this is the place where your dream of being popular comes true! 

The rule is simple, earn popularity points on the platform I provided for you, and you could then exchange them to increase your IRL popularity! With a high enough earning, you could make beautiful ladies and gentlemen grovel at your feet like you were a princess! Good luck!

~ DIY Idol System, the gateway to a sparking life! (>‿◠)✌

 

P/S: Also, just a minor detail, but your other earnings aside from popularity points on this platform will be governed by me, since they have no real value to you anyway. Don’t think about it too much!

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

What…

Is this even real?

I stared at the blue box with dead fish eyes.

I have a feeling I’m being scammed.

Is this a pyramid scheme? 

It sounded very much like a pyramid scheme.

Do I also have to go around and refer my neighbors to this product?

Still, she is the goddess that reincarnated me in this world… at least she won’t eat me alive, will she?

If this could somehow make me just a little bit more popular at school, it’s worth a try?

I took a gulp and then pushed a small button on the blue box. It was the next step according to her instruction. The screen closed her obnoxious message, and then guided me to a new screen.

Ehhh?!

My eyes were wide opened.

This screen is … very familiar.

Rectangle boxes of images were neatly organized into rows and columns with their respective titles, and there is also a small number on the bottom right corner to indicate their length. As my finger hovered over this blue screen, each image is automatically activated, playing a small animation of its content. A red box with a small, white triangle icon inside was placed on the top left of the screen.

Ehhh?!

Where in the world is 'the platform I provided for you'?

Isn’t this just ... Btube!?

8