Chapter 9 – Gathering Supplies
674 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Understanding finishes its comprehensive explanation of gender at about the same time as I finish my meal. Really, what's the point? Seems like a lot of trouble for a problem that will be solved when the realm's power converges and coalesces into a creature. Maybe it's because the creatures of this realm are more... delicate than those of the Void? No, no, I don't need that explained, Understanding. My meal's finished and it's time to move on. Should I try to find the elf? Hmm, no, I'll give it- her, I need to get used to this. I'll give her more time to think... Instead, I'll go get that bottle of Void stuff Farkas left in the lab.

 

I had abandoned the skeleton I was using to mimic human form after the elf left. Despite all the practice I never really got the hang of walking around on two legs, so getting around the usual way is much faster. The problem with it that I only realized when I reached the lab is that it's very difficult to properly maneuver a key into a lock from below using my tendrils. It took... much longer than necessary, but I managed it eventually. With that hurdle cleared I begin rifling through cupboards, very glad that none of them were locked. After a few minutes of searching find the bottle, pulling it out and placing it on the ground before me.

 

<Voidspawn Essence>

The flesh of a dead Voidspawn destroyed in the process of being summoned.

Can be used to strengthen the skill <Black Core>

 

Flesh from a dead Voidspawn? Wait, is what we have even flesh? It's definitely not meat, like humans have... Ah, that's not the important bit, it says it can upgrade my Black Core? Why can Understanding tell me what will upgrade the Black Core, but not what the fucking thing is?! Gah, whatever. I'll be putting this to good use, but later. I want some time to properly study it and test what the difference is

 

I turn my attention to the bookshelf at the back of the room, next to the inexplicably dark corner. The black books are still where they were the first time I was here, and upon further inspection prove to be filled with scribbled notes that I can't decipher. The covers look identical to the book I learned Shadow Cloak from, so it seems likely that they're also spell books. I gather up the books and bottle, wrapping a few tendrils around them to carry back to Farkas' room.

 


 

The books are certainly interesting, but they're also going to take some time to understand. The writing seems to be in some sort of shorthand, and Understanding needs a while to figure it out. So, while that's happening I turn my attention to the bottle of Voidspawn flesh. The black fluid roils and bubbles, constantly in motion, but I really can't see any similarity between it and myself. Is it really possible for summoning to go that wrong? Wrong enough that the summoned creature gets liquefied? I'm suddenly very glad that my summoning went well.

 

Understanding can't provide any more information on the thing. I carefully pour it out into a bowl, dipping one tendril into it. I can feel the liquefied Voidspawn swirl around the tendril, then begin to be absorbed. I pull the tendril out, watching as the small amount of black fluid clinging to it slowly disappears. So, it seems that I can ingest it with no trouble. I suppose if Understanding says it can strengthen my Black Core it stands to reason that's where it would best be absorbed?

 

Over the course of a few minutes I untangle my tendrils, revealing my Black Core and slowly lowering it into the roiling liquid. As soon as it makes contact I can feel it begin to absorb the Voidspawn flesh, drawing it in much more quickly than my tendril had. Within a minute the bowl is empty, and my Black Core is slightly larger than it was before.

 

<Black Core> Has Absorbed <Voidspawn Essence>

Insufficient For Skill Evolution

Body Strengthening Effect Of Skill <Black Core> Increased

Dark Magic Strengthening Effect Of Skill <Black Core> Increased

User Nameless Voidspawn Is Now Level 5

 

Mmmm. I was hoping for a bit more than that, but this is exciting in and of itself. The level is nice, though I'm still not entirely sure why I need them, but more important is learning what the Black Core does. It being connected to dark magic makes sense, and I assume that means that the White Core is connected to my light magic. The body strengthening also makes sense when I stop to think about it, since the Void is very much a place of dark magic.

 

However, it's the mention of Skill Evolution that really catches my eye. Skills can evolve? Based on the information Understanding supplies, some skills can evolve into superior skills that have added functions. It's vague about what causes it, though it seems that some skills just need to be a certain level while others have specific requirements. Black Core doesn't have a level so that isn't a factor, does it need me to absorb Void creatures? Or just energy from the Void in any form?

 

I'll need to test that once I have the materials for it. For now, it's time to test just how much stronger I've gotten. I reach towards the pile of bones I had shed earlier, pulling out a rib and grasping it at each end. With a little effort I snap it in two, much more easily than I had expected. It seems my strength has increased by more than expected. After a few minutes of snapping tendrils out to grasp objects from across the room and pulling myself around I come to the conclusion that my coordination and agility have also increased. I really need to work on further upgrading my Black Core.

 

As for testing magic... I can't. The only spell I know is Shadow Cloak, and it just makes me better at avoiding being noticed. I could already avoid the elf's notice before the upgrade, and I never tested how much I would need to do to get her to notice me, so... I have no way of knowing what's changed. Eh, I can assume my dark magic is similarly strengthened, and it won't make that much of a difference either way. I'll be able to see the effect next time I find some Voidstuff.

 

Understanding's still working away in the back of my mind decoding the shorthand from the spell books, and I'm suddenly out of things to do. I could go talk to the elf, but I should probably leave her alone until she's ready... You know, there's one more body left behind that I haven't eaten yet, I'll go get that. I'll be leaving the lair soon anyways, no reason to leave it behind.

17