Chapter 12 – Exit
583 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having finished my study of the books, I make my way back to the kitchen for the first time in a few days. The elf's project seemed to have progressed while I was studying, the pile of goods having progressed into four neat bags sitting in one corner and a few spare items strewn across the counters. I notice that one of the bags is different than the others, a dozen smaller loops of fabric hanging around the edges rather than two larger ones. I also note that it's the largest and heaviest looking bag.

 

Elvira looks up from her drink as I enter the room, the two humans moving ever so slightly behind her. "Hello, Umbra, good timing. I think we've got everything prepared."

 

I flip my notebook to an empty page, pulling out a pot of ink. I really do need to find a better alternative sometime soon, it takes much too long to set up. Ready for what?

 

"What do you think? To leave. We've gathered and sorted all the useful stuff, just need to check if you can carry your bag. So..."

 

She gestures at the largest bag. I set my notebook aside and absorb what little ink is left on my tendril as I make my way over to the bag. The loops of fabric do seem to have been placed strategically, both on the bottom and sides of the bag so I have tendril holds to steady it. After a moment of study I begin wrapping my body around it, rocking it side to side to move tendrils below and around it before hauling it atop myself. It takes a moment to ensure the bag is steady and position myself properly, but once I have moving isn't too difficult. It takes a few moments longer than it should to reach where I left the book and ink but I can still move at about the speed of a person walking.

 

I can carry it.

 

Elvira nods. "So I see. With that being the case, we should be ready to leave in the morning."

 

Agreed.

 

With that, I pack my book up and replace the stopper on the ink, turning to leave the way I came. I may have already finished reading the spell books, but I'd still like to keep a few of them with me for further study. And perhaps a few from Farkas' library... I'd have to sort out which to take, but I should have enough time to thoroughly think it through.

 


 

After quite some time deliberating I decided to keep a few books of Farkas' notes - the one that detailed summoning Voidspawn, the Undead Legion spell book, the Shadow's Mark spell book, and the Profane Ground spell book. I also grabbed a useful looking book from the library titled "Maru Vaerin's Guide to the Lux Empire" in hopes that it can show on exactly where we are. I have no clue what the Lux Empire is, but from what I've read of the book I gather that it's mostly inhabited by humans so hopefully it's nearby.

 

I slip the books into my bag before once again pulling it into a position where it can be carried. The elf already has hers and is helping one of the humans with theirs in preparation to leave the lair, the other human standing by. It seems that the human Elvira is helping in particular is struggling with the weight, though I conclude that it won't be enough to slow us down too much.

 

After a few minutes of checking things over and ensuring that everything is in place the elf leads the way down a corridor. I take up a position at the rear of the group, the humans hastening not to be left behind. They glance back at me quite a few times as we make our way down the corridor, seemingly worried about something.

 

Before long the elf comes to a stop in front of a particularly worn looking door, pushing it open to reveal a staircase. I'd never gotten around to checking what was at the top of it. According to Elvira, it's the exit from the lair. I suppose not taking the chance to explore earlier isn't too great of a loss, I wouldn't have left even if I knew the way out, not before ensuring my binding was destroyed.

 

Half way up the stairs Elvira glances over her shoulder, asking, "Now that I think of it, do you know what it looks like out there?"

 

I assume she's talking to me. Climbing the stairs while carrying the bag doesn't leave me much room for writing, so I just wave a few tendrils at her. Whatever it looks like, I'll see it soon enough.

 

The door at the top of the stairs seems more weathered than those deeper in the lair, and there's some light shining through the cracks around the edges. The light seems somehow... different than that in the lair. Brighter, somehow warmer? It's difficult to put my tendril on exactly how it's different. Before I can really figure it out Elvira pushes open the door to reveal a blinding light. I shrink away from it, hiding in the shadow cast by the bag. After a moment, I peek around the edge to see something completely unlike anything I'd seen before.

 

The ground is covered in green things, there are giant brown outcroppings with more green on top of them, and everything is so bright. Everything up is just blue, and there's a light source brighter than anything in the lair hanging in the sky. There's more light than I've ever seen, how can anything live in this? I can feel my eye - or rather, the parts of my body being used for sight - begin to itch with all the damned light everywhere. After a moment I hazard casting Night's Veil, quickly darkening my surroundings within the lair. Everything beyond the door, however, is entirely unaffected by the spell. Great, I can't even dim the light out there.

 

It seems Night's Veil and Black Hand won't be very useful after all. They can't be used any time I'm outside due to the excess of light, and I doubt I'll be anywhere indoors for quite a while. Dammit dammit dammit, even Shadow Cloak isn't going to work somewhere this bright.

 

So, all my magic is completely useless, and the elf has hinted more than once that we'll probably have to fight.

 

Fuck.

18