Chapter 20 – The Trip Across
358 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was right to worry about the trip across the channel. While floating in water feels a bit similar to floating in the Void, there's one big difference that is starting to worry me. In the Void I could see forever in every direction, I never had to worry about something sneaking up on me. Not so in the water, I can only see so far before everything becomes murky and indistinct. I've noticed something moving far below the boat, something big, something that I only get glimpses of. I think it's been following us, though I suppose I can't be sure since I've yet to get a good look at it. It's entirely possible that the water is just swarming with giant monsters and I see a new one pass by every few minutes. I wonder which option is worse, either we're being followed by something that's taken an interest in us or there' hundreds of giant creatures just wandering around. I don't like either of those.

 

I haven't had a way to tell Elvira about whatever is since there's nothing to write with, not that I would bother to even if I did. I'm not entirely sure how she would react, but I doubt it would be very helpful. Best case scenario she knows some trick to get rid of them, worst case she tries to turn back. If she had a way to get rid of dangerous creatures I'm sure she would have told me about it or put it in use, so at best she'd just tell me the creatures aren't dangerous. Better that she just doesn't know and continues rowing.

 

Speaking of rowing, I've found that the Black Hand oars I was using weren't very effective. Instead, I've been undulating my tendrils in three sets, mimicking a creature I noticed shortly into our trip. A jellyfish, Understanding called it. I'm not entirely convinced that it's any better than just rowing, but I do remember coming across a few Voidspawn moving in a similar way in the Void. They didn't seem to be getting anywhere, but surely they wouldn't be wasting their strength trying it if it didn't work? I'm sure it's working fine, not that there's anything out here to compare our speed to.

 

Wait... There's something below us again, something that hasn't moved for a while. Well, it has moved, but it's been matching our pace to stay under us. That can't be good. Maybe if I just wait a bit- Nope, definitely can't wait, it looks like it's getting closer. I can make out a giant eye, easily as wide across as the elf is tall, its pupil a distorted rectangle. They eye turns upwards and focuses directly on me, and I can feel a vibration in the water. I definitely can't handle this myself, time to tell Elvira.

 

I pull myself into the boat, taking a moment to scan our surroundings. We're beginning to approach shore, but we're still far enough that there's no hope of getting there before the monster below us does something. Far off to our right there's a port, and behind it a city. It's far enough that they won't see a single rowboat, but they may notice whatever it is that's attacking us. There's a large ship leaving port, bright purple lightning arcing from metal plating on the the hull to the water around it every few seconds. I very much doubt we can count on any sort of help from them. If they do happen no notice us they won't arrive until we're either dead or have fought off whatever's coming. Hopefully it's the first option, from what the elf's told me the humans would kill me on sight and I'd rather not deal with an entire ship of them.

 

Elvira seems surprised by my sudden appearance. When I start frantically pointing at the water with half a dozen tendrils she gives me a cautions look before peaking over the edge of the boat. There's a large, dark silhouette visible in the water, and I note that there are various appendages moving through the water around it. It seems to be preparing to grab the boat if I had to guess, but it's difficult to tell from just a silhouette.

 

"Oh shit," Elvira says. "Shit shit shit. I don't suppose you have a way out of this?"

 

No trick to get rid of it then. I don't think I have a way out, at best I could try to slip away while the elf gets eaten. That's a last resort, I still have things to learn from her. I could try stabbing it with black hands? It would be difficult to maintain them but if I stay in the boats shadow it may work. I might also be able to slip away if I grab the elf, abandon the boat, and cast Shadow Cloak. No, too bright, they spell will just outright fail. Maybe it I-

 

Something strikes the boat from below with a loud crack, sending it rocking and splintering the wood. Elvira shrieks and grabs for the side, losing the oars in the process. A dozen tentacles are rising from the water around us, easily as tall as trees, the water unnaturally swirling around them. Attacking the creature's off the table, no time, instead I wrap my tendrils around the elf, ignoring her struggles. A second tentacle hits the side of the side of the boat and opens a hole, water begins pouring in. I begin casting Night's Veil and Shadow Cloak, not that they have any real effect in direct sunlight. A shadow passes over me as a third tendril drops, ready to crush the rowboat from above.

 

I barely pull myself and the elf out of the way in time, the tentacle impacts the boat and effortlessly snaps it in half. As Elvira and I fall I grab a few chunks of the broken boat and throw them in different directions, hoping to draw away the monster's attention away from us. The largest chunk, the front of the boat that mostly survived the impact, I pull towards me. Elvira is strangely still as we hit the water, but her not struggling is good from me, it makes it easier to drag her into the shadow under the broken boat. Once I have a bit of shadow I cast Black Hand a half dozen times, sharpen the fingers into claws, and begin carving the boat. Elvira still isn't moving, I'm not sure what's wrong with her. The best I can do for the moment is hold her in place under the boat and hope the damage isn't permanent. The creature doesn't seem to have noticed us yet, but its tendrils pass dangerously close as they slam into the water, sending our little piece of boat rocking wildly.

 

As I finish my carving I pull up one of the elf's arms, holding it up above the water and ripping open the palm with the claws of a Black Hand, careful to absorb the blood into my body before it can escape into the water. I slap Elvira's bloody hand against my carvings, bringing one Shadow's Mark into effect after another until the darkness under the boat is so thick that even I'm having trouble seeing. Once the inside is done I turn my attention to doing the same with the outside, covering ever inch of the wood with carvings and activating them with blood. I cast Shadow Cloak once again help hide us, and with that there isn't much I can do but wait and hope the creature doesn't notice us.

9