Chapter 9: Time flies
58 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey Orion,” Kira said, glancing towards the leviathan from her position, laying on a cushion she’d brought with the map of the guildhall hovering over her head, her tools hovering to her right.

Yes?” Orion asked, glancing up from his papers.

I wanted to ask you about the weapon you got me,” Kira said.

Orion sighed and rubbed the back of his head. “It really wasn’t that expensive, I swear.”

For you, I imagine not,” Kira said with a light laugh. “Then again, you seem to play this game a lot more than the rest of us. But that’s not what I meant. I’m curious why this and not some generic glaive or something?”

Oh,” Orion said, finally pulling back from the paper. “Well, you mentioned the game you were playing. I figured a weapon themed after Lu Bu’s would be pretty cool and closer to what you liked. Especially if you used it a lot in the game.”

So you’ve played it?” Kira asked, a small grin forming on her lips. “Or just heard about it a few times?”

Yeah. I played it a lot when it first came out last year. Haven’t touched it in ages, though,” Orion said.

You did? That’s awesome! What route did you go?” Kira asked.

Oh, I played as Cao Cao mostly. He was always the funnest route for me,” Orion said.

Kira stared at him in disbelief. “Wait, really? You played AS him? But the commander routes are so boring!”

What? But the strategy aspects were the best parts,” Orion said.

But they’re so boring! You don’t even get to fight that often during them, Champion routes are the best. You get to run in, fight like fifty guys, be a total legend. That’s the best way to play the game,” Kira said firmly.

Orion shook his head. “I mean, yeah, you feel pretty awesome usually. But once you get the hang of it you can all but solo an army by yourself.”

Not on the higher difficulty settings,” Kira said defensively. “Besides, it’s so much funner. You get a bit cut up, but it’s not supposed to be entirely realistic. It’s the age of legends and all that. Jumping off horses, cutting down a dozen men with a single swing, creating typhoons with magic fans. All of that stuff is awesome and makes you feel incredible. The strategy routes are so tedious. It takes like, ten times as long and you don’t fight nearly as much.”

I always found that to be half the allure. Besides, I love that method. Tricking my enemies into fighting each other, scouting out and locating the weak points of my enemies. Collecting the different special warriors to fight at my side and then sending them at just the right point to wipe out the enemy forces when they’re most vulnerable. Besides, it feels incredible when you end up outmaneuvering and enemy and they have no choice but to surrender. You have to have done it a few times, right?”

Ehhhh. Once or twice... dozen times,” Kira said with a wave of her hand. “I mean, it’s fun in its own way. A different experience. I still think fighting my way through the hordes is way better, but I do that stuff sometimes when I can’t fight someone directly.”

I’ve never been any good at fighting people like Guan Yu either,” Orion said.

That’s because he’s Guan Yu. If you don’t have to reload that fight a dozen times, you’re not playing on a high enough difficulty,” Kira said with a laugh. “Thanks, though. It’s a really nice gift. I can’t wait to use it in our next dungeon run.”

You hit high enough level?” Orion asked.

Almost. About half a level to go. You know, I wouldn’t have imagined that game was something you’d enjoy. Any others I should know about?” Kira asked.

Oh, a few. Maybe some you like too. There was this old game I used to play based off some tabletop games too,” Orion said.

Kira got to work on the map of the guild hall, though she found her mind continuously drifting away from the project to talk more and more with him. Before long the topic switched from games to different shows, books and even non-VR games they had played. It felt so easy and relaxing while they talked, she found herself struggling to focus on the task.

Far too soon Orion turned to her and gave a sigh. “You know, it’s getting late.”

Huh?” Kira asked. “No it hasn’t, it’s only-- shoot! I need to get to bed! How about you? What about your work?”

Eh. It’s fine. I’m ahead of it anyway,” Orion said before giving a small, dismissive wave of his hand. “How about you?”

I am so behind on it,” Kira said sheepishly. “I’ve got a few ideas, but not--”

Not the guild hall, I meant other stuff. The guild hall you can do whenever you feel like it, there’s no rush,” Orion said.

Other stuff?” Kira asked.

I mean, you do this for a living, right? I think I just ate your whole evening now,” Orion said,

Kira gave a light laugh. “Oh? I think I ate yours, actually. I came on to play, this counts.”

Oh? So you’re just playing with me now? Do you even like games?” Orion asked in a teasing tone.

Kira mock-gasped, putting a hand over her heart. “No. You found me. I don’t even play games. In fact, I’m not even a person. I’m secretly an advance AI, designed for one purpose and one purpose only.”

Oh? What’s that?” Orion asked, an amused grin forming on his lips.

Event marketing. Find out what events draw the most attention and which items do it. That way, I know which items to make limited edition during events, therefore making people have to subscribe to the game,” Kira said.

Orion gave a light snort, shaking his head. “Okay, I know you’re joking but that sounds way too real and possible.”

Maybe a bit,” Kira said before getting to her feet and closing the map. “Right. I should get off, though. It’s already a bit later than I like. I’ll see you later, okay?”

See yah. Hey, Kira,” Orion said.

Yeah?” Kira asked.

I hope to see you again soon. We really do have a lot of fun when you’re here,” Orion said.

Kira stopped in place, her eyes going wide. She couldn’t help but grin a little before glancing back. “Hey. Our party is usually a little low, right?”

Huh?” Orion asked.

The four of us. We’re usually pretty low. Don’t they go up to five? Groups, I mean?”

Well, sort of. There’s some missions that go six, one of each race. But in general, a lot of the groups are five. But a lot of stuff can even be done with only two or three, so--”

You should try and find us a fifth. We’re getting more people in the guild, right? Maybe a fae. Fae are pretty cool,” Kira said.

Tired of having to jump on the backs of giant monsters?” Orion asked with a light chuckle.

Why would a fae stop me from doing that?” Kira asked. “That’s part of the fee of the guild hall! Finding a fifth, not finding a fae.”

Orion’s smile wavered and he scowled at her. “You keep adding to that ‘fee’.”

It’s still less than I’m worth,” Kira said before sticking her tongue out at him.

Orion rolled his eyes before giving a sigh. “Fine, fine. I’ll find us a person. You know, you could always just ask to play with some of the people in the guild. They--”

Ah, but why would I do that? That’s what I have you for, oh great guild master. Keeping all of us together and making sure we don’t have to do all that busy work. Tah tah,” Kira said before logging out.

------

Teresa’s eyes opened and she was greeted by the sound of the television on in the other room. She slowly slid her headset off and climbed to her feet, walking out from the room a moment later. “Hey? Honey?” she called out.

Hmm?” William asked, glancing over to her. “Have fun?”

Yeah. I really did. I might even have a client later. Well, a new client.”

William shook his head, giving an amused chuckle. “You haven’t even finished getting paid for this last job.”

Teresa cheeks burned and she nodded. “I know. I’m just waiting on the last part. But that’s all, once it’s finished, I’m good to go. I wanted to ask you something, though.” She nervously walked over and sat besides him. He reached out and put a hand around her shoulders, pulling her against him.

Wait, commercials are ending. During the next round, okay?” William said.

Okay,” Teresa said, watching with him. It was some drama show. She didn’t really get it, but she suspected it was probably because she didn’t know any of the characters or what was going on. Apparently a murder of some kind. She ran over her question again and again in her mind. Would he play this with her?

Finally, the commercials started and she got her chance. “So, William? You know I’ve been playing that new game lately? Landasy Reality?” she asked.

Yeah. You go and conquer the aliens or something, right?” William asked, glancing down at her.

Not even close,” Teresa said with a light chuckle before resting her head on his shoulder. “It’s the one with angels, demons, fae, dragons, all of that stuff.”

Ahhhh, right right. What about it? Bored already?” William asked.

Not at all. I’m actually having a lot of fun. I wanted to ask if you’d be interested in joining me? I--” Teresa stopped in mid sentence, though, when he let out an exasperated sigh. “What’s wrong?”

Baby, no. You know I love you. But there’s no way I’m going to play one of those games with you,” William said.

Why not?” Teresa asked. “They’re really a lot of fun and--”

They’re a waste of time,” he said dismissively. “You run around doing make believe. That whole VR world thing is already in enough of my life without me going into it on my time off.”

Teresa gave a small nod, trying to hide her disappointment. She didn’t see how it was any more of a waste of time than him watching TV the moment he got home, though. “Are you sure? I think my friends would really like to play with you.”

Huh? Who do you know who plays it?” William asked, glancing down at her again.

Orion, Ervent, Blueberry,” Teresa said. “They’re--”

Oh, your pretend friends,” William said with a light laugh before shaking his head. “I thought you meant you knew people in the real world who were playing.”

Teresa’s cheeks turned red hot when he said it like that. “They’re not pretend friends. They’re just my online friends. They’re still friends.”

Oh, honey. Come on, nobody is who they say they are online. Everyone knows that,” William said.

I think they seem pretty real,” Teresa said gently, lowering her eyes. “They’re all really nice and we have a lot of fun together. Blueberry even had some interest in commissioning a piece from me.”

Oh, right, I’m sure she did. Honey, she probably just said that so you wouldn’t feel bad. But listen, don’t go trusting people like that. Online a person can be anybody, I don’t want you falling for some trap and end up getting hurt. You’re not giving them any information about you, are you?”

What? Like what?” Teresa asked.

Your name, address, any of that?” William asked.

Teresa shook her head. “Of course not. I’ve been playing these games for years. Even if most of them aren’t online, I know how to protect myself on the internet. I don’t give any information like that out unless I really trust--”

You shouldn’t give information like that out to anyone,” William said, frowning at her. “Teresa, you haven’t been giving them anything, have you? I swear, sometimes, you’re so gullible.”

I’m not, I--”

Teresa. Have you?” William asked again, leaning forward and staring into her eyes.

I haven’t, I swear,” Teresa said. “It’s just my online friends. I wouldn’t do anything reckless like that. I promise.”

William stared at her for a few more seconds before finally giving a sigh and leaning back. “Good. Sometimes you really worry me, you know that baby? Just be careful. Please. I don’t want you getting hurt because you decided to trust the worst kind of person.”

I won’t. I’m not. I swear,” Teresa said with a small smile before leaning against his chest and giving a sigh. She was careful, always. She wasn’t going to put herself in danger like that. She just wished he would trust her a little more. “Are you sure you don’t want to give it a try, though?”

Shhh. The show’s starting,” William whispered before giving her shoulder a little squeeze.

Teresa gave a small nod and relaxed against him. She wished he’d give it a shot, but maybe it was better this way. He probably wouldn’t enjoy it, anyway.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server.

 

8