Chapter 14: Foul
215 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Akira, Akira!” The elven woman Tyreal fell to her knees next to the adventurer’s lifeless body. I could barely hear her cries as I stood there, staring at his crushed, demolished body lying dead on the ground. 

It was the act of a ‘god,’ there was no question. Even with the magical Skills adventurers had, to suddenly and so brutally end someone’s life… no mortal was capable of such a shocking action.  

For someone who had spent her entire life feeling powerless, it was only really in this moment I realized how completely, utterly at the whims of the gods above we all were. 

I picked up Akira’s dropped sword, a finely made mythril blade that he hadn’t had the first time we fought, it looked quite newly forged as well. While Akira’s party looked on, stunned by the sudden destruction of their friend, I took action.I pointed his blade at my neck, a single tear falling from my eye.   

“Beelzebub!” my voice roared, but it was also shaking in fear. I’m not sure I have the willpower to follow through on this threat, but perhaps he won’t call the bluff. “I demand an audience! If you don’t grant me one, I’ll take my piece off the board myself!”

Suddenly, the landscape was gone, and I stood in the parlour room of a human mansion. To my left, Beelzebub sat with his legs crossed, to my right was the mysterious woman, Vi. I was sitting atop a sofa, and there was a short table in the middle of the room between the three of us.

-

“Audience granted, though I don’t know what business you have with me, the one who committed the foul is over there.” Beelzebub answered me, gently waving his hand towards the other woman. I understood what he meant immediately.  

I jumped off the sofa, my foot landing on the short table. Using it as a springboard, I Jumped straight at Vi, My fist colliding with her chin. She flew off the chair so hard she completed a full spin for hitting the floor.

There were tears streaming down my face, even though I barely knew him, I still wept. I wiped my tears with the back of my arm, glaring at Vi as she slowly stood up. But for some reason, she seemed completely calm, like she expected this outcome.

“This rotten game you’re playing… I don’t like it, but I’m already involved!” I shouted, turning my glare towards Beelzebub. “And I’m not gonna sit back and let you toy with people’s lives like this, I’ll end this game with my own hands!”

“Oh?” Beelzebub cocked his head to the side, seemingly amused. “And how exactly will you do that?”

“I…”

The room shifted again, and I found myself sitting in front of a board. It was abstract, but it obviously represented the world I lived in. this was the game they played with our lives, was it?

“How will you take control of this game, when you’re merely a piece inside of it?” He continued, picking up a small red colored pawn that was carved in a shape that vaguely represented me. He placed his finger on the pawn’s chest, over its heart.

“...urk!” I gasped, grabbing my chest. After becoming his piece my heart had stopped beating, but I could now feel an intense pain where it should be. 

“How can you be so sure? That your actions even right now, the words dancing off your sharp little tongue… aren’t all part of my will?” He placed the piece back down, and the pain in my chest began to subside. “Do you really think you’re special? That you’re the first piece to come here, say those same things?”

He began to chuckle, and Vi’s voice soon joined him in a chorus of laughter. If they were trying to demoralize me, it was very effective. And yet, I was unable to say anything, I knew they were right. 

What could a goblin do against two gods? I was helpless before them, all I could do was play their ridiculous game.

And then I saw it. A higher quality piece than the rest. Blue marble, expertly carved, the stunning image of a knight. It had to be him, who else would it be in this location on the board. 

The two godlike beings laughed at me, unable to control themselves in the face of what they thought was a hopeless, worthless goblin who couldn’t stand up to them. Their guard was down, for just a moment.

I had one chance, and even if I succeeded I would likely be punished for it, maybe I would even die for this action. But I’ll do it, I’ll show them I’m not a slave to my fate!

My hand reached out and grabbed the piece, my skin beginning to burn as soon as I touched it. I wasn’t allowed to interfere, that’s what the blazing heat of the piece was telling me, but I pushed past it. 

“What are you do-”

Beelzebub had no time to finish his sentence, as I grasped the piece with my bare hand, ignoring the horrific burning pain it inflicted on me, and hurled it against the wall. The perfectly carved marble crashed into the wall as hard as I could throw it, cracking cleanly in half.

“Screw your will!” This was my declaration, regardless of the consequences.

“You walking garbage!” Vi screeched, slamming her fists against the table. “What do you think you’re doing with my pieces!” 

“Calm yourself, Vi.” Beelzebub held out his hand in front of her, preventing the woman from charging at me in a rage. “As this is my fault for bringing her here, I will take full responsibility for my piece’s actions.”

He waved his hand towards me, and I was swept out of his realm and back to the world within the game board. No time had passed, and Akira’s party members were still in a state of shock. 

-

Wordlessly, I placed Akira’s sword on the ground and began to walk away. I’m not sure why I was spared, but I knew I couldn’t stay here.

“Wait, you know something, don’t you, goblin girl?” the lizardman addressed me, and my retreat was stopped, if only for a moment.  

“What do I know? I’m just a goblin…” I replied to him, continuing to leave the scene.

Follow the story, favorite, rate comment etc if you're enjoying it. Check out my Patreon for advance chapters too.

8