Chapter 19: Another Piece
152 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vi unwrapped the piece in front of her, letting the cloth fall to the side. As she touched it, she winced in pain, clutching her chest with her off hand. As if handling the piece itself caused her extreme pain, her body convulsed as she lifted it towards the board.

“You don’t have to do this, you know?” Beelzebub asked her, watching her every move very carefully. “I hate to see you in such agony, Vi.”

“N-No, this is the only way forward.” she replied, clenching her teeth through the pain as she placed the piece down on the board. 

A female pawn, dressed in the traditional image of a witch, oversized hat and all. It stood in direct opposition of his piece, the goblin she detested so much.

“You think I’m the same as that pathetic creature, huh?”

-

As we passed through the town gates, the same guard from last night was stationed there. Gox passed him a bag of gold, and he let us pass. Seems like most of the surface world's prejudices melt away under the golden truth, but it wasn’t viable that often, considering how much money one would need.

There was only one path forward now, to the goblin city. My new companions knew the way, so I let them lead. We traveled for three days down the trail, then finally came upon a fork in the road. It was only a half a day's travel from here, according to Gox. 

I wasn’t exactly sure what to do when we got there, but at the very least we can warn them about the upcoming raid. That was the plan, I wasn’t very good at plans.

It was about mid day when our target came into sight. An old tower, half collapsed, served as the entrance to the abandoned mines that eventually became the goblin city, as I was told. A group of adventurers larger than any before was gathering at the foot of the keep, so things were about to get tricky. 

“Beelzebub really should have controlled your actions more closely.” A voice bounced off the trees around us, sounding as though it surrounded us. A voice that, unfortunately, I recognized.

If my heart was still beating, I think it might have stopped just then.

Sitting atop a tree stump nearby, a woman with long, wavy white hair sat, her legs crossed elegantly. A deep blue witch rested on her head, obscuring her face from us, but I recognized her anyway.

“What, How?!” I shouted, drawing my sword in my preferred reverse grip style. “Vi… isn’t this cheating, even for you?”

“Huh?! Vi?!” Tyrael quickly assumed a combat stance, her eyes locking onto the woman dressed like a witch. “You mean, that’s who killed Akira?!”

“You poor, stupid goblin.” Vi stood up, pushing the brim of her hat back to reveal her face. “Trying to defy us when you don’t even know all of the rules!”

A magical flame sparked out of Vi’s hands, moving just like fire but being pitch black. A contradictory inferno of darkness erupted around her, cutting us off from the rest of the adventurers past her.  

I squinted at her, trying to see her ability scores. It was hard from this distinct, but I could just barely make out her health bar above her head. What, no, that’s not possible, it must be an illusion from the flames.

“That’s… that’s not possible.” Tyrael gasped, having seen the same thing as I had. “H-How can you be level 999?!”

“Foolish goblin, your actions above the gameboard led to this outcome, so blame no one but yourself!” Vi’s voice was filled with malice. “I never wanted to set foot in this world again, but you’ve forced my hand, so I’ve played my final piece!”

She took a step forward, the black fire scorching the ground at her feet. I was frozen in place, my legs shaking uncontrollably. It was absurd, there was absolutely no chance of beating an enemy like this. But…

I held my sword up, ready to attack as soon as my legs decided to respond. 

“Little one, even with such a high level, that doesn’t make her invincible.” Gox walked forward, somehow unafraid. “These levels are divine blessings, strengthening us beyond normal mortal men. But what would happen if you were to lop off my head? Would it remain attached because my HP was not zero?”

“Shut up, you worthless NPC!” Vi howled, raising her hand. She pointed her index finger towards the lizardman, a sphere of black magic appearing on the tip. “Just die already!” 

“Last Stand!” Gox punched his fists together, activating one of his Class Skills. A golden glow enveloped his body at the same moment Vi’s spell impacted him. A red number reading -999 flashed above him, but he didn’t fall. He continued to walk forward. “Fiffil, this is your only chance! While my Skill holds, nothing will end my life, so with this body I will carve a path for your blade!”

“G-Gox..!” Tyrael cried behind us, realizing the situation. But it was too late, he was already struck by her attack. “No way…”

The lizardman Gox was already dead, and in a few moments his skill would end. But until then, all damage taken was essentially negated. He rushed towards the witch with no hope of ever reaching her, but all of her spells bounced off his body, doing no more damage despite the -999 that appeared above his head every time.

My legs finally regained their use, and I followed after him. My little legs carried me forward as fast as they could, and soon the two of us were in reach of the witch.

“A futile act of defiance against my endless nine!” Vi threw another bolt of magic, striking Gox in the chest. This time, his body faltered, and he fell to one knee. His Skill was nearing its end.

“Go, Fiffil!” he shouted, trying his best to stand again, but his legs no longer seemed to work.

This was the only chance, or we would all die here. I jumped past him, my sword ready to strike. I had one chance, if I could get that critical blow against her, even she would fall. I had to believe that, or Gox had sacrificed himself in vain! This would work, she was killable here, not a god, just a piece on the board!

My sword swung at her neck, a crimson arc of death that would cut down anything in its way. 

Incindra the Everlasting Inferno was stopped mid swing. With a single finger, Vi knocked the blade from my hands, sending it spiraling to the ground. With her other hand, Vi grabbed me by the neck, preventing me from even trying to escape.

From behind, an arrow shot forward, zipping past Vi’s face. Two more followed rapidly, but the next missed as well. The final arrow seemed true to its mark, but Vi raised her left hand, destroying the arrow with a snap of her fingers. 

“Wait, that on your hand…” I struggled to speak as she crushed my neck, having seen something on her palm.

A simple symbol, branded upon her left palm. A masked man with a single eye, a three pointed, floppy jester’s hat atop his head. 

“Do you understand why my appearing here now is not a cheat, my dear?” she asked, laughing maniacally. Her face twisted into a disgusting expression, she brought her hand closer to my face so I could see clearly. “That’s right, it’s the same as yours. Did you think you were special?”

“B-But that means you’re… Beelzebub’s…” I gasped for air, struggling against her vice-like grip on my neck. 

“I used to think that demon was my savior too.”

 

Don't forget to favorite, leave a comment, rate the story maybe or even leave a review! early access to chapters available on my patreon.

8