Unwinding
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Flying on the first holiday had been a mistake. Robert had been loaded with work, but he needed the money. Then, corporate things happened, and he had been laid off.

Which was great! First the company wrung everything out of him, his love for the job, his passion, his ambition, all the overtime and all the years he put into his profession, then, when he was burnt out and too old to continue, they just ditched him. Which, in hindsight, he should have expected. 

Robert used to love the company. Which he realizes sounds weird. How can you love a non-living entity? He liked what they did, and what they stood for. Thinking about how they had turned the market on its head with innovative design used to fill him with motivation to do the same. 

But now, all that remained was frustration, and too much time to mull over these thoughts. The flight had been horribly quiet, and he thought his situation over and over again. 

It was going to be different in Spain. He had saved enough money, money he originally wanted to spend buying products from the company, but now they leave him with a bitter aftertaste. And a holiday was just the thing to deal with burnout, at least that's what his father had suggested. 

And it did work, partially. Robert didn't know why, but the air felt different the moment he arrived. It was slightly cold, as it was winter, but there were still a lot of people mingling about. Some of them he identified as tourists. Some others were locals. He walked up to a cigarrette kiosk. 

"¿Hola, siene pudestra?" 

"... What?" 

"¡Lo siento! My Spanish is really rusty. ¿Can I get a ticket to la Plaza del Amigo, por favor?" 

The man shook his head, and changed ten euros for a ticket and fifty cents.

Robert heard him mutter 'Turistas' but chose to ignore it. He was happy he spoke Spanish again. School hadn't been entirely useless! 

The bus ride was uneventful, and he found himself in the Plaza. The space was wide-open, businesses prepared themselves for the morning. A couple of children gathered and mingled about, some of them gave food and drinks to beggars. 

This was the perfect location to watch the sun rise, so he had been told. 

Slowly, the dark night lit up, and the sun climbed over the hills. The view down the plaza was good, and the sunshine hit the water before revealing its splendor over the city. 

Robert felt a tension leave him, a tension he didn't think he had. His eyes loosened as he stared up at the two suns. 

... 

Two suns? 

0