Chapter 6: smell
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        I came home tired from all that walking around. I played games with Gabby then ate dinner with her and mom. I was still tired from today’s walking. I took my maroon glasses from the white coffee table. I went to my room and placed the glasses down on the drawer. This time I took a nice hot shower to chase away the tiredness. After I was done with my nightly routines I slipped into bed.
        The gave light to my dark bedroom. Wrapped up in my soft blankets, I lay still on my bed. I wondered what if the effects are still continuing? Oh well. I can find out tomorrow. I went to sleep thinking about the new possible effects.
        I woke to the next morning. The strong smell of delicious food was the first thing that greeted me. That and some other smell that I didn’t recognize. I immediately tossed my covers off me and went to the bathroom. I grabbed my brush and began to pour the toothpaste. I also noticed that the minty smell of toothpaste was much stronger to me. I fixed up hair and left the bathroom.
        My mind was working slow as I was adjusting to the new smells. I left the bathroom and stood atop at the stairs. The Smells were stronger now. The smells became more intoxicating with each step down the stairs. I could smell eggs, pancakes, and fruit shake.
        I saw mom was the one who’s making food. I also saw Gabby in the kitchen helping mom. More like making food for herself. She gave off this scent I didn’t know. The scent spreads when happily placed her food on the table.
        Mom greeted me with a caring tone, “good morning my son. Now, what got you up so early? Usually, you’d be up a bit later.”
        Gabby smiled and said, “it must be because of the delicious food. Mom’s food is the best so that must be it.”
        I scoffed at her reasoning, “mom food is the best. But Gabby I’m not a food maniac like you.” I sighed I also couldn’t tell that my sense of smell has gone up. If so they then would ask about how it came to be that way. I also didn’t know how to explain my meeting with Michelle or Fen...whatever the name was. I sat down at my chair.
        Mom watched us and smiled at our interaction. “Gabby can eat as much as she wants, and you too, Kota. I’m so glad I have you, my children.” Mom likes to dote on us whenever she’s our good relationship. She left the kitchen and brought the food to the dinner table. I really couldn’t help! The smells are too great. I struggled so much to contain myself. I must not let this carnal desire take over.
        I figured out most of the smells. However, I was puzzled the last scent. Both mom and Gabby gave off this scent. My mom gave off this scent when started dote on us? Gabby off more when mom was doting on her. Thought long and hard about while I ate. Then it clicked.
        Wait could I possibly be smelling their emotion?! I wasn’t entirely sure but my instincts are telling me otherwise. With this new piece of revelation, I began to take note of its existence. My thoughts were interpreted by a ding. It was coming from my phone.
        [Max: Sup. I’m at your door.]
        I looked up at Gabby. She was already done with her food. So fast and I still haven’t finished mine, I thought to myself. She saw Max’s message. She went over the front door to invite him. Max lives diagonally from us. Because of this, he drops by at our house every so often.
        Max’s redhead poked into the kitchen. Gabby then appears from behind him.
        “Good morning Maxwell. Wasn’t expecting you here today. What brings you to our lovely home”
        “Good morning to you as well Ms.Saki” Max took off his blue sweater and sat on the living room couch. “Well came here to talk with Gabby and Kota.”
        Mom nods and puts her apron away. “I suppose you also drive them to school.” Mom was dressed up and looked ready to go work. She left and Gabby made sure the garage was locked. We didn’t have to go to school soon. All three of us shared 2nd-hour study hall together.
        Gabby came back and sat down next Max. She leaned in, her elbows on her knees, her hand cupping her face as she stared at max. “We have a whole hour before we head to school,” said Gabby.
        “Right, you said you wanted to talk about something?” I came and sat on his right, while Gabby sat to his left.
        He took a deep breath. “Gabby I think I might know something about birthmarks.”
        Gabby stopped opening a snack then looked at Max, “You do?” She pats Max as she says excitedly, “tell me, tell me.”
        Max nods and rolls up his sleeves to show his birthmark. On his skin, there are patches of red. He touches one of the patches, “last night I had a dream. In that dream, I knew it was me. The person looked like me and had the same personality as me. We very alike. Except he didn’t have the birthmarks.” He looked up at us and paused. He began giving off a scent that made me a bit worried. It was fear, I can smell it. I don't how I knew this, but my instincts went off in alarm. He continued after his brief pause, “the dream was vague, but I remembered being tied up somewhere. I couldn’t breathe and I was on fire, then I died. After that, I woke up and I felt that the birthmark made much more sense to me.”
        I hesitated for a bit then I opened my mouth. “You said that your birthmark is all over from the collarbone down to your feet.”
        “Yes, it is. After that dream, I looked on the internet. I mostly went to forums. I found a thread where people shared their stories. For some, the birthmark was how they died in their previous life. Others had birthmarks like a Gabby’s.” He looks over to Gabby’s hand.
        Perplexed Gabby asked, “like mine? What do you mean?”
        “They said theirs was a symbol. One person had a small arrow on her forehead. The arrow’s tip was a heart. They guess that they must have been a Cupid in their last life. They only thought this as they were a witch. The person said they were always good at matching people up, and that fairy magic is her strongest affinity.”
        I began to picture Michelle as this person. One, she could possibly be a witch. Two, she’s a well-known matchmaker. It wasn’t hard to figure if I put two and two together. Then I tried to remember if I ever saw that birthmark on her forehead.
        I gathered courage and spoke up, “guys, do you think Michelle is this person? She does have green hair and is a renowned matchmaker too.”
        Gabby looked up at me and lost herself in her own thoughts.
        Max was a bit confused, “okay, the matchmaker part I get. But the green hair? Where’d did you get that from? It’s not like all witches have green hair, right?”
        “Gabby explained to me that in her grandmother’s dairy, that’s true. So, you’re not wrong. They do have green hair.”
        “My grandmother also said witches that have green eyes are powerful. The brighter the green, means the witch is very powerful."
        “Oh that makes much more sense now,” Max nodded in understanding. “But now you get what I mean, Gabby.”
        Gabby took off her blue band revealing her birthmark. I look at that simple flower that’s on her wrist. Looking at flowers made me think about something. “Hey Gabby this guess but, what if you were an elf?”
        “An elf?” Gabby says and gives me a weird look.
        Max excitedly jumps in, “Yeah, that makes sense. You also said you like to garden.”
        I snapped my fingers at Max’s words, “right, you do use your magic to grow plants. But I thought elf because of your blue eyes.”
        Gabby mouthed ohhh as she got the point. She clapped her and smiled, “guys I’m strongest in earth magic. I found that out while testing some of my grandmother’s basic elementary spells.”
        Everyone’s mood boiled with joy. Then I started smelling their joy, as I too, became filled with joy. That joy soon plummeted once we saw the time.
        “Shit. It’s almost 8:15.” Max announced with urgency in his voice he stood up, “Okay guys let’s get into the car.”
        Gabby got up and scurried into the kitchen. She sneaked some snacks in a little bag. She never forgets that little bag of hers. It carries her food and she’s food maniac. Well, as she doing that I get used to my new sense of smell. I grabbed Max’s sweater.
      Gabby and I stood outside the house. She walks over to Max’s car while I stood at the door. I fumbled with the keys. I put each key unstill I found the correct one. The door now locked. I walked over to Max’s car. I hate the smell of gas and more noticeable than ever today.
        I gave Max his sweater and seated myself in the same spot as last time. 
      3rd POV
      The trio didn’t talk much in this car ride. They all had their own thoughts. Gabby kept thinking about magic and witch stuff. Max thought about his dream he shared with best friends. Kota mostly thought about his new senses and kept thinking back to the night of the party. 
      They soon arrived at campus. They passed the check-in at the school’s entrance and straight to their perspective classes. The split ways in the commons. They had made it into time for it was passing time. Kota was bombarded with new scents. Some were sweet, nice, clean, and relaxing. Of course, there were bad scents too.

      The bad scents were very strong. There was more bad than good. These ones very vulgar. The level of vulgarity? It’s very bad, but all Kota could do was ignore it and be strong. He had to be vigilant. He couldn’t be weak, or else he could never adapt to this change. Once he got to the classroom he went to the nearest window. He opened the window and took a deep breath of fresh air.
        Once he was done turned back to class. He sat down in his seat. There wasn’t much emotion except confusion as everyone was talking about the test. The 3rd period went by peacefully. Soon 5th period came around again. He walked into his history class again. This time when he walked in he noticed a few gazes.
        He guessed that yesterday’s incident was still fresh in his classmates' minds. The teacher also looked at him. He could smell that some people thought he was funny. Others gave him bitter thoughts. Since they did the test yesterday the teacher decided to put on a documentary. We watched a documentary called “13th.”
        After history class was over Kota went over to the cafeteria. He walked in and was once again bombarded with the scents. Before I could get over to our table I collapsed. The smells overwhelmed me too much. It was mostly the disgusting smells that caused Kota to fall. Max and Gabby were shocked as they saw him collapse.
        Max picked up Kota and carried him. Gabby grabbed all the lunchboxes. The two left the cafeteria. There were many who saw the scene. Many were curious as curious to why he collapsed. Only one pair of green eyes could guess why the Caucasian boy went unconscious. Those eyes were Tsuki’s.
        Tsuki sat stood in the upper leaves of the cafeteria. No one noticed this presence. Tsuki was invisible to the eyes of many. He smirked as he knew that the pill was showing good progress. Tsuki then left, leaving no traces. It’s like he never stood there in the first place.
        Max and Gabby soon reached the nurse. The nurse looked up to see visitors, and one of them was unconscious.
        “Put him on that bed, please.” The nurse ordered max to put him down. “Now, can you two tell the cause?”
        “See, miss that’s why. We don’t know he is like that,” Max told her this in a confused tone.
        Gabby then went to say, “We saw him coming to our table at lunch. Then he suddenly collapsed.” Gabby looked over to her brother, “honestly this never happened to my brother.”
        Gabby wore a worried look, while Max had this look of puzzlement. They both couldn’t understand why he collapsed like that. The nurse told them that he’s fine and nothing was out the ordinary. Of course, to an outsider, it looked nothing was going on. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
        Lots of changes occurred when Kota to that pill. This couldn’t be solved by science or modern technology. Kota would have to stick and adapt to the new changes. He himself doesn’t know how much more effects will show. Right now, he is in his own mind and consciousness, fighting. He managed to get everything back to normal. He didn’t feel like throwing up anymore and slept soundly.
        Gabby placed Kota’s lunchbox. She turned to the nurse, “when he wakes can you make sure he eats?”
        The nurse nods and looks at the clock, “I think it’s time you two head back to your classes.”
        Before they leave they took at Kota once more, then leave. After twenty minutes Kota woke up.
        “Looks like you’re up,” said the nurse. The nurse points to the lunchbox, “your sister left this for you.” She turns back to her work and let  Kota eat. He ate in silence as pictured their worried faces. He felt bad that they don’t why he collapsed. They know that Gabby is a witch. Since they know that magic exists it wouldn’t hurt to tell them about his situation. He felt as they had a right know, they are his best friends after all. He also felt bed because Gabby always felt nervous about telling us she’s a witch. It a lot of courage from his sister to tell them this secret.
        Soon he finished his lunch. He looked down the box and thought of his making his lunch. He smiled and put the lunch box away. He stood up and walked over to the nurse. He gave his gratitude and thanks to the nurse.
        “What’s your 7th period?” The question Kota before he can leave.
        He gave his answer, “it’s the gym.”
        “Teacher?”
        “Mr.Bridge.”
        The nurse asked one last question, “I don’t want you to be sent back here again if you collapsed. So are you sure you’re alright and that you can attend gym class?”
        Kota thought about her answer. He, too, didn’t want to be sent back here again. It’s best to be safe I can’t have myself collapse again, thought Kota. He shook his head to answer the nurse.
        The nurse writes something down and handed it to him. “Here with this can leave early and go home. I will write a note to the attendance office of your leave.” He took the paper and carefully folded it. Once folded, he placed it in pockets. 
        Kota texted Max and Gabby that he’s leaving early. Kota leaves the nurse’s office and into the hallways. The hallways were empty and abandoned as it showed the whole build was in testing. He made his way to the front and passed the nurse’s note to security. He passed security and was outside of campus. He walks home mostly smelt of gasoline. Once he arrived home he slipped into his bed.
          In his mind was preparing for things to say to his best friends. Mostly how to explain what the hell is happening. And why things are happening. Kota napped until the two came back from school.
          ********
          This one was probably the most annoying one. I collapsed because of it. It’s really hard to block smells I don’t like. Well, at least it’s not like the last one….

Author’s little theatre.

Tsuki: ..... Why is my name always forgotten by this boy? It’s like this every chapter.

Author: don’t worry I decide to mention you so that your name is correct.

Tsuki whose name is forgotten by Kota: …. You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?

Author: No...it’s not like I forgot your name halfway...

Tsuki whose name is forgotten by Kota: …...

0