Chapter 8: Hearing
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max was mostly focusing on driving. He smiled nonetheless at my piece of news. I think the two are probably happy that the effect isn’t anything at all bad.

              I still didn’t want to go to the cafeteria. I remember their faces as I was fainting. I don’t want them worried so I came up with a solution.

              “Guys, for lunch can we not eat in the cafeteria?” I asked but was unsure of their answers.

              Gabby looked back at me from the passenger seat. Her face beamed with delight, “Kota that’s a great idea. I certainly don’t want to see you collapse again.”

              Max joins and agrees with Gabby. “Right, I don’t want to see him like that as well. How about this? We can go to eat at the infirmary. That or we can eat outside.”

              I think back to the nurse. “The nurse was nice. I would like to thank you if you get the chance to. We ask her if she is okay. But I don’t think she’ll let us eat there. Outside might be the best choice. I want more fresh air than to be in the cafeteria.”

              Max parked his car and three of them left the car. As Max was locking the doors he asked, “how long do you think this will stop? Because you could get some kind of weird effect.”

             “Yeah hopefully it stops,” says Gabby.

             “I hope it stops too,” I say and the two give off a smell of uneasiness. It’s making me uneasy too. Right now I have touch, sight, smell, and taste. Maybe the last one is hearing? It’s already like this so it might as well be hearing.

             We soon stop at the commons. From here we split up into our classes. I go to my first-period class. I was trying to get used to the new smells. Soon I arrived at the study hall. I see both Gabby and Max. I take a seat at their table. The first one to speak to me was Gabby.

             “Brother, you’re fine right?” I nodded at her. Then Max spoke up next.

             He whispered, “So I have to ask what emotions smell like to you?”

             This is a pretty hard question because describing the smell and emotions was tough. It’s very hard to describe but I tried my best to answer him.

             “Remember when I said it was the negative emotions that made me collapse?” Once the two noded I continued, “those kinds of emotions smell disgusting. The stronger the negative emotion the grosser the smell gets. And of course, the opposite is true of the positive emotion. They smell really good. Honestly, it could get addictive. I never smelled love before but I’m pretty sure it’s the strongest of all the positive emotions. Now, of course, there are different types of love.”

             Gabby gave them a small laugh and a smirk, “if someone does love you, I can only imagine you getting flustered by them.”

             I roll my eyes at Gabby and Max just smiles. I ignore this continued with my explanation, “now, what do positive emotions smell like to me? Gabby and mom always shower me with their love and happiness. It smells like a sweet flavor, but not too sweet. It’s like a candy I never knew existed. It’s nice to be surrounded by such emotions.”

            I’m so glad I can talk to them about this stuff. As I am thinking about being grateful that I have such friends Gabby opens up a snack. She hands some to me. I graciously accept the snack. Max looked shocked. Gabby never shares her snacks.

            Because of this, he asked her, “Gabby, can I have some?”

            Gabby looks up at him while munching on her snack. She shakes her head no at Max. Now Max is pretty stumped that she didn’t give any to him.

            “Why did you give him some but not me?”  

            “Because he’s my little brother.” Gabby gave Max a smug face. Max just took it and decided it’s best not to bicker with her. Soon our study hall ended. We, again, parted ways and went to our perspective classes.

.

.

.

.

.      

              Vrrr.

              I took out my phone that was vibrating. It was the fifth hour, history class and lunch was just around the corner.

              [Max: Okay I went to the nurse. She said if it’s the three of us then it’s fine. The infirmary is big anyway.]

              [Gabby: cool. I just want lunch to come and class to end. I wait to eat!]

              [Kota: it’s always food with you. Lol, if the food was a person I’m sure you’d marry him.]

              [Gabby: Hey! There’s nothing wrong with me being a food maniac! Hmph!]

              [Max: Gabby chill. Lunch is only 5 minutes away.]

              [Kota: See you guys at lunch. I gotta finish this essay for history.]

              I put my phone and quickly wrote the last paragraph of my essay. I thankfully finished minutes before the bell rang. I turned in my essay in the box as I walked out of class.

              3rd POV

              Kota arrived at the infirmary earlier than Gabby and Max. Kota saw the nurse, she had gray hair and looked pretty old. On her desk was her nameplate. Her name was first name was Connie, and her last name was Alexander. Kota began to talk to her.

              “Thank you for yesterday, Nurse Alexander.”

              The nurse looked up at the Asian boy from her desk. The nurse smiled at him, “no worries, it’s my job after all.”

              “My friend asked you if it’s okay for us to eat in here.”

              “That’s okay. Especially if it will help that you won't collapse the same way you did yesterday.”

               It was only a few minutes when Kota was talking to the nurse. Then two people came in one taller than the other. The taller one had red hair and the shorter one had green hair. Seeing those two heads pop in, Kota knew it was his best friend. Gabby walked up to him and gave him his lunch book. Max found a small table off in the corner of the infirmary. The sun shone through the windows making the room warm.

               The trio was discreet as they talked by the small table. They didn’t talk much about Kota but they did complain about how each of their school life is. It was mostly Gabby who was complaining. Gabby was doing badly. Might be because the food is all she can think about. Whenever Max and Kota teach Gabby something they always use food as a replacement for what they want to get something across.

                Surprisingly she isn’t doing badly in gym class. That’s the only A+ she has. Kota was pretty balanced. He wasn’t too bad but wasn’t too good either. Max was the only one who had all As in his grades. Every time Kota looks at Max’s grades he gets a feeling that he should try better.

                The nurse watched the trio from her desk. The three then reminded her of her grandniece and nephews. The three were done with their lunch. Before they all left they thanked the nurse.

                Now that lunch is over, there are two more periods left of the day. The sixth period went by quickly for Kota. Then he came to gym class. He didn’t know what to do for that class. He missed the final for that class. He couldn’t do anything about it and went to class.

                When he arrived he saw Mr.Bridge and Mr.Bridge saw him too. Mr.Bridge told Kota he had to make up for the final. Mr.Bridge looked over Kota’s final while his assistant took care of the gym class. Kota was pretty glad to be away from his classmates. His sense of smell made it uncomfortable to be around his classmates. He couldn’t handle it. The sweat was a bit much too much for him.

               The final wasn’t bad, all he had to do was the pacer test. He finished early and asked Mr.Bridge if he can leave early. Mr.Bridge remembered the note from the nurse Connie and let Kota go. Kota took a quick shower, packed his stuff, and left class. He waited for Gabby and Max at the commons. He opened up his phone.

               [Kota: Hey. I just finished the gym early.]

               [Max:  Nice. I’m just about done with my stuff. How about Gabby? She’s in math, right?]

               [Kota: I bet you she’s reading again.]

               [Max: if she is, she’s gonna have another book confiscated.]

               Gabby was in class reading a book. She was too into the book to notice her surroundings. Her math teacher didn’t like that she’s not paying attention. Her teacher did what she always did: Confiscate Gabby’s books. Gabby, on the other hand, didn’t like it when she got her books confiscated. Especially when it gets to the good parts. In the end, she gets her books back. But that’s at the end of the period.

               The bell rings signaling that the seventh period is over. Gabby brings out her phone in frustration. She wanted to rant about her book being confiscated.  

               [Gabby: I GOT MY BOOK CONFISCATED AGAIN!]

               [Kota: See told ya, man. She got it confiscated.]

               [Max: Gabby if you don’t want that to happen then don’t read in class. Especially in MATH class. You know how your teacher is.]

               [Kota: Dude, I don’t think Gabby will anytime soon. Anyway, I say we leave this building. I’m already at the commons.]

               Max arrives flowed by Gabby who’s still a bit mad. The trio got in the car and drove over to Kota and Gabby’s house. They spent the first few hours playing video games. Then it somehow went Gabby showing her magic to them. She showed them her earth magic. They were in the backyard, specifically Gabby’s garden.

              She had lots of plants in there. The fruit she grew was, quite literally, magical and tasted like no others. She learned a lot of things from her grandmother’s stuff. She even found her grandmother’s wand. The wand was a thin wooden stick. It had small unknown writing engraved into it. She could figure out what language it was, but she knew it wasn’t a language that’s recorded. The base is wider and it continues to shrink to the tip.

              It was getting late and Max needed to go home and help his mother. As he was leaving he was greeted by Ms.Saki.

              “Good evening Maxwell. Are you leaving soon?”

              “Yes,” he says. He puts on his shoes at the front door.

              “Oh before you leave, would you mind giving this to your mother?” She hands Max a bag and he takes it into his hand. He thanked her then left.

              Ms.Saki walked into the kitchen to find Gaby cooking. Kota was in there too. He was helping Gabby with the small stuff. She stood over at the door watching her kids hard at work, she smiled. Kota could smell her happiness from where he is. He doesn’t need to look back to know she’s there.

             The three of them all ate dinner together. Gabby was too stuffed. She rubbed her like she was pregnant. Kota laughed at Gabby for eating too much. Kota definitely couldn’t help himself. The food was too delicious. His sense of taste made it like it was ten times tastier. He got up and went upstairs. He did his usual routine: shower, brush, and slip into bed.

Kota’s POV.

              The alarm went off as always, but this time it was louder than normal. I freaked out when I heard the alarm. I immediately shut off as soon as I can. I sat still and listened to my surroundings. I could hear the birds outside much clearer. Except the window is closed and when it’s closed I can’t hear anything from outside unless it’s very close to the window.

              I knew it! The next one was hearing. Great, now I can hear stuff too. I sat there thinking about this. I also hoped that this would be the last one. I don’t need a surprise effect.

             I got out of bed and did my morning routine. This time my morning routine is much louder. I went back into the bedroom. I was looking for my headphones. When I put on the headphones the hearing went down. Which is a good thing? I can control my hearing. I don’t need to collapse like when I couldn’t control what I could smell or how much of it I smell.

             I went downstairs and found Gabby. I grabbed her and pulled her into a corner.

             “Gabby, my hearing has changed.”

             She gave me a look of shock before saying, “are you okay? How much did your hearing change?”

             “My hearing became higher. It’s the same level as my other senses. Now, all my senses are equal.” I look at her and I can smell her anxiety. I then tell her, “don’t worry. I found out that my headphones can block out a good percentage of noise I hear.”

             She sighs relief, “oh that’s good.” She looks back at the dinner table. “Say, how ‘bout we go eat with mom?” I nod yes and follow her to the table. We ate breakfast then mom drove us to school. We met Max and told him the news at school.

            I laughed at myself that I believed that this would be the last effect. On Friday is when I got the last effect. Friday is also the day a lot of things changed for Me, Max, Michelle, and Gabby’s lives changed. Well, Michelle’s life changed when Tsuki took over her body,

 

0