Chapter 15.5 – A Mother’s Learning
1.6k 9 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15.5 - A Mother's Learning

 

When I learnt what my daughter, Charlotte, aged 5, was doing on her computer, I was shocked to death. I’ve heard of many disturbing things in the world of politics, and having an underaged child enter such a dangerous world; it was completely unthinkable.

Charlotte, or Lotte for short, was very mature and intelligent for her age, but that didn’t matter. I gave Lotte a scolding about the real world; I wanted her to have the freedom of choosing whatever career she wanted, but there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed.

I didn’t know whether I should be happy or angry that my daughter was helping the FBI deal with terrorists using her hacking skills. I wasn’t as very tech-savvy as the kids, but I knew hacking was a dangerous career choice, and more so when dealing with armed terrorists.

---

4 years passed peacefully, and Lotte became slightly more normal. She managed to skip a few grades, so she was praised as a genius. I felt happy for her.

One awful day, the news was filled with terrorist attacks, and so on. I was just finished with dinner when the doorbell rang. I had a bad feeling about it. I checked if anyone ordered a package; nothing was ordered.

I opened the door, and a group of men dressed in all black greeted me. They held up a badge, saying they belonged to the ASIO. I knew it; I should’ve never opened the door.

Without much of a choice, I allowed them to enter the house. They didn’t even take their shoes off; how rude. I’m sure Lotte will reject these hooligans.

“Oh. Good evening, Miss Charlotte Irlandi. I’m Hector from the ASIO. I’m here to-”

“No.”

Amazing! As expected of my daughter, she instantly rejected the hooligans without even listening to them!

“Why?”

Because you’re a bunch of hooligans.

“Because I need my mom’s permission.”

Oh, the topic has shifted to me.

“Please, Mrs Irlandi. We will pay you several million dollars; please let your daughter sell us some information.”

I don’t care about your money. Well, my daughter doesn’t seem to be against it, but I need to test if she can survive on her own. I don’t want any innocent deaths personally, but Lotte’s safety is above all else; I’m sure the government can rely on someone other than a 9-year-old child.

“I don’t trust you guys. Unless you can guarantee my daughter’s safety, I won’t allow it.”

“We will deploy trained bodyguards, and members of the Royal army to guard your daughter!”

These guys are quite persistent, I must give them that. I took a quick glance at Lotte, who cutely ate her steak. I suppose having the Royal army should suffice, but I can’t trust them too much.

I had a plan for a test. It was simple; it was a test of mental endurance. I highly doubt Lotte would last long in the forest; she’ll likely give up by the time lunch starts. Either way, she should learn how difficult it is to survive. I’ll chase her with an airsoft gun, just to let her know that enemies in the political world will chase you until the end of Earth.

---

The next day came, and I packed a few things. I had some survival tools for Lotte to use and a useless, empty survival book. She should learn that you can’t always trust your allies either.

I had a few camping kits, first aid kits, blankets, firewood, and several days worth of ration. I also brought along a guitar as well. This is turning into a camping trip once she gives up. Nothing beats the bonding of a mother and her daughter, after playing tag with airsoft guns in a forest.

When I gave the signal to start, she began running right away. I had multiple safety precautions in place, just in case. Lotte is only 9, so I doubt she’ll go any further than 100m away.

---

30 minutes passed, and I had my airsoft gun in hand. I won’t hit Lotte since my accuracy is very high, but just in case, I only fire full auto every few seconds.

A little while passed, and I saw Lotte standing in front of a pile of sticks. I fired a few shots near her, and she immediately hid behind a tree. As expected of my Lotte, she immediately took cover.

I fired a few more rounds to scare her. I’m sure she’ll give up in a few minutes.

{Crash}

Suddenly, something crashes into a bush near Charlotte. I turned my head and saw a flare gun. I looked back to see Lotte jumping into a bush. She’s clever. I fired a few rounds into the air for fun.

I walked up to the bush where Lotte jumped in, and she was nowhere to be seen. I looked over and saw a steep hill, with some brown hair on the ground. She likely rolled down the hill; I hope she’s okay.

I wonder where Lotte is right now. I looked around near the bottom, and she wasn’t there. She likely ran into the forest. I have a bad feeling about this. If anything happens, she should’ve fired her flare gun to notify me.

I went back to the car and set up some tent, waiting for Lotte to come back, but she didn’t come back. I have a very bad feeling about this. It was nearly night time, and she’s nowhere to be found. I took some essentials with me, and rushed into the forest, sliding down the hill Lotte rolled down, and rushed inside with a flashlight, screaming her name.

“Lotte! Lotte! Where are you!?”

Before I knew it, tears began to form, and my voice began to tremble. I’m sorry, Lotte! Please! Please be alright! I went too far; please tell me you’re alright.

“Please!”

My voice echoed throughout the forest; owls flew in the dark sky as my loud voice echoed the forest.

I searched for hours, it was 2 in the morning, but I was still searching vigorously. It's super cold; I hope she can stand it.

And then, finally, I found her against a tree with some branches next to her. I felt an instant moment of relief and joy.

I rushed in for a hug, dropping everything and crying out loud. Lotte cutely wakes up from my sudden hug.

“Hm....? Ah. I lost. Why are you crying?”

“I’m sorry.”

“???”

60