Chapter 24: Birthday
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lennox POV

"Happy birthday, Mayor!" 

I faintly smiled at the staff who just came in as she handed out progress reports for one of the city projects.

"Thanks." I said politely.

I saw that the staff blushed for a bit before going out. I somehow ignored it as I started to read the progress reports.

Even though it's supposedly my birthday today, I reckon that it's just a typical day. Even before, I've never taken the initiative to celebrate it. During my childhood, my parents were always away since they had demanding careers so they would often just ask someone to buy a gift for me. In rare instances when they are around, we would celebrate it and have a simple dinner.

Honestly, I don't get the fuss with it...

But today, for some reason, I am looking forward for it more than the previous years.

Among all these people who are already greeting me, I am only eager to hear it from a certain someone.

I heard that she won't be able to drop by the city hall today because she had exams at her med school. But even so, is it too much to hope that I can at least have a glimpse of her today?

I sighed as I continue to do paperwork. This morning, I already went out and did usual inspections around the city so for the rest of the day, I will accomplish paperwork and hold a meeting in between.

And before I knew it, the day already passed by like that...

Throughout the day, I remember unconsciously gazing every second at my phone. When it does make a sound, it turns out to be a greeting from someone but not from a certain girl.

Is she not aware? Perhaps, she forgot?

If that is the reason, I won't be surprised since I am always pretty low-profile about my birthday. I simply do not like the fuss with it and the people who are already familiar with me knows that.

But now... I am doubting my reasons. Would it make me feel better if I made a fuss or casually mentioned it to her? Would that make a difference?

Damn it... I am acting so childish right now. I can't believe my own thoughts. I am a rational person and naive emotions do not suit me.

Just when I was about to pack up my things, I heard the door open and a sweet voice rung into my ears.

"Lennox! Thank goodness you're still here." 

I was momentarily surprised and had to blink a few times just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. When I heard her let out a soft chuckle and walked closer to where I was, that's where I confirmed it's really her...

The person I was looking forward to seeing all day.

Millen was wearing a polo dress today and it flaunted her figure perfectly... I gulped at the sight and reciprocated her smile. I slightly raised my eyebrows at her.

"I thought you weren't going to visit the city hall today? How's your exams?" I said formally.

"Of course, I aced it! But wait, how could I not come today and not see you? I wouldn't dare. Today is special." she coquettishly said.

Special? Hmm.

These days, she is getting bolder and bolder at her intentions. And the bolder she gets, the more my resistance crumbles. The only thing I can do is faintly hold on the remains of my sanity.

"Oh? Why is today special?" I said mindlessly, pretending not to know.

Millen looked at me as if I was really clueless before smirking.

"Of course it's special. It's your birthday. Happy birthday, Lennox." she said in a warm voice.

Upon hearing her say those words, my heart suddenly raced out of nowhere. Today, I looked forward to just see her text those words or maybe, hear it from her through a call. I blindly hoped to see her today too despite knowing the low chances of it happening but who would've thought... I would get much more than that.

"I didn't buy you a present, but I baked you your favourite dessert. It's my first time baking this particular type of dessert, so I apologise if it doesn't taste as good as the one that can be usually brought at stores..." Millen said in a soft voice.

She opened the box she was holding and inside, there was a medium-sized buko pie, which was my favourite dessert. There were visible burns on the crusts but overall, the dessert looked pretty presentable.

I chuckled at the sight. The dishes she would bring during lunch were actually a bit salty or too sweet at times. But it was from that where I realised that she really did cook it herself. Looking at her as a pampered young lady from an elite family, it would not be false to assume that she has never cooked all her life.

Although the dishes she made weren't perfect, it was still tolerable for me. After all, when I was a kid, I feel like I already tasted the worst from my mother's cooking...

When I was a kid, even though there were visible egg shells on the simple dishes she'd make, she'd force me to eat until I finish all of it, feeding me herself. It's apparently supposed to be a loving gesture, but as a child, I didn't appreciate it at all and instead, it left a lasting memory on me.

My parents had a pretty good relationship so even though my father knew how bad my mother's cooking was; he would eat all of it without any leftovers and would not even bother helping me out when my mother was 'encouraging' me to eat more.

It's not that I'm a picky eater, I guess I just don't have a big appetite... It's something that I probably can never change. Fortunately, I've been into sports since I finished elementary school and have been exercising regularly, which is why I am able to maintain a pretty good body built.

"Do you wanna eat it together?" I asked her in a soft voice.

She nodded immediately before arranging the utensils for the two of us.

I observed her while doing so and just like this, warm feelings evoked within me. Finally, after so many years, I am able to understand how all the little things someone else does are able to warm one's heart.

Truly, today is a joyous day.

0