Chapter 9: Pinky Promise
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the past weeks, Hamish have met with Dalena to train and educate her about her role. He briefly explained the history of the nobles, the classes and the relevancy they had in the modern times.

In the past, the nobles were much more extravagant and flashier about their status. However, in the modern times, they have kept a low profile to match the ever-changing times.

Despite that though, the influence and wealth they had was still very visible, especially in aristocratic world that common people don't know of.

Dalena knew that Little George's family, was wealthy, but it was more than she could have ever imagined. Apparently, almost all the lands in Europe and Australia were owned by them. Aside from that, some products she knew were apparently produced and owned by their family as well.

With the thought of that, Dalena couldn't help but think about her gap Little George's family. She, an immigrant with little to no penny, compared to a family whose bountiful wealth is secured even before they were born.

Life is really that unfair, huh? It gives too many blessings to one family, more than they could ever consume in their lifetime and appears to just neglect many others in the world who barely survive with a basic income.

It is really a cruel, cruel world.

Aside from the basic training, Dalena was also provided with a uniform that the Grosvenor Group nannies usually wear, which resembles a nurse's uniform a little but it was long-sleeved and instead of the fitted skirt, it was styled as a flowy skirt and it was a little longer as well.

The colour was also seaweed green, which is apparently the main colour that represented the Grosvenor Group.

As said by Hamish, Dalena's role was more than babysitting and keeping Little George in company. She was also to make sure to protect him in case a dangerous situation happens and make sure that the little boy complies with all his schedules.

Despite being barely 6 years old, the little boy was already having a productive schedule more than most adults would.

Unlike other children of nobles, he was not sent to a boarding school and instead attends a prestigious school in London, along with other people of upper-class background. At the same time, he also attends private tutor lessons and multiple lessons for extracurricular activities such as horse riding, playing instruments and other sports.

"Wow..." Dalena murmured.

After training and orientation with Hamish, Dalena was finally brought to the mansion and since it was her first day, she really cannot believe what she was seeing.

Large water fountains, big gates and lots of statues and antiques welcomed her at the front of the Grosvenor Estate.

To Dalena, it was simply indescribable as it was even better than the mansions she saw on movies and television.

'Am I really going to live here?' she mused.

Even though she was only an employee here, she really considered herself as privileged to have this job and to able to live in a palace-like place.

More than ever, she is determined to do her job properly, since it is a major stepping stone to achieve her dreams in life.

Perhaps, the heavens did not really forget about her. After years of only knowing to work and grind, maybe the heavens are finally on her side this time.

For her first task, Hamish have told her that she only needed to watch over Little George as he does his activities.

As Dalena was guided by a guard towards the field where George's horse riding lessons were commenced, she noticed that there were actually a lot of employees at the estate.

Maids and bodyguards were plenty and can be seen all over the estate. Despite the maid uniform looking similar to the colour of her uniform, the style is way different. Instead of a long-sleeved dress like hers, the maids' uniform only consisted of a seaweed green polo shirt over black pants.

She can hear some whispers from the employees, but it was beyond her if they were actually talking about her or some other thing. Whatever it is, Dalena did not bother.

Once she finally arrived at the field part of the estate, she was amazed at Little George, who was riding a large horse all by himself.

Dalena thought that the large, black horse was too big for the little boy's small frame but looking even just from a far, it seems like the little boy knew how to move it himself even without his instructor.

When the horse started to walk near her, Dalena's eyebrows raised a little as George tried to jump down by himself. Even though he did know how to maneuverer the horse, with little boy's height, it was worrisome whether he can go down by himself.

Thankfully, George's horse riding instructor helped him jumped down and immediately, the little boy ran to Dalena.

After seeing the big smile on the little boy's face, Dalena giggled, especially when the little boy hugged her.

"You're here!! As my nanny! I'm going to see you everyday!" Little George said in a cheerily tone.

Dalena squatted a little to match the little boy's height and patted his head.

"I am very happy to see you too, Young Master."

George still felt that he was on cloud nine until he heard the last two words from Dalena.

That form of address... he did not like it. It felt like Dalena was an outsider and for him, she is not an outsider.

"I told you to call me George. Why do you call me that?" he sulked a little.

Seeing the little boy's slightly frowned face, Dalena widened her smile. The little boy seemed cuter when he used a sulky tone so she can't take it that seriously.

But in the first place, Dalena only addressed him that because of Hamish educating her. He scolded Dalena to always address the little boy as 'Young Master', since apparently, 'George' was unprofessional and disrespecting the little boy's status.

But Hamish is not here anyway, right? It's probably okay every time the stern butler was not around.

"Okay... George, I'm sorry." Dalena said in an apologetic tone.

Little George was still pouting a little bit but seeing Dalena's smiling face, the little boy could not hold his act for long.

"From now on, let's spend lots of time together, okay? Do you promise?" Little George said softly.

"Okay, I promise." Dalena responded rather quickly.

Little George widened his smile again, revealing his little baby teeth. For Dalena, she really felt like she was too lucky to land this job. The little boy was just too adorable!

"Then, do you want to seal our promise with a pinky promise?" Dalena asked.

With the mention of that, George squinted his eyes a little and seemed a little confused.

As if she was reading everything on his face, Dalena immediately knew what was up.

'So even pinky promises are not known in the noble circle? It is only known by the common people? Really?' Dalena mused.

Dalena carefully took the little boy's hand and started to explain.

"A pinky promise means it is a promise between the two of us and it cannot be broken. It is done by hooking your pinky like this into mine."

Upon finding his little pinky finger hooked with Dalena's, the little boy's face flushed.

He was so certain that knew a lot of things since he was praised by his tutors and always got good marks on school. But like he thought, there's still a lot of things he did not know.

"Okay. It's our promise." he said in a heartfelt tone.

0