Chapter 16: Meltdown
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since her son would not follow her orders so easily, the Dowager Duchess had no choice but to stay back at the mansion for a few days to observe more about the situation.

Whenever she sees Dalena roaming around the mansion with her bastard grandchild, George, she would always sneer at the sight of them.

But more so, she was still dumbfounded at the fact that Dalena looks too much like a certain someone from the past.

'But how is it possible? I've checked that girl's profile although they look the same, they have nothing in common at all.' the Dowager Duchess mused.

If one were to describe Dalena's appearance, she actually has very common features. However, once those features are put together, they blend perfectly, making her somewhat pretty. Besides, her attractive point would probably be her body that is blessed in both areas with a slim waist.

The Dowager Duchess decided to investigate more on her own by asking staff in the estate about the new nanny.

"We do not like her at all, Your Grace. She's shameless and like a vixen who's actively seducing the Duke!" one of the staff said maliciously.

"Yep and even more so, do you know that ever since she came, the Duke has been spending more time at the mansion?"

"Not only that, I heard from the bodyguards that she also eats with them. How shameless! Just because she's a foreigner, doesn't mean she's exempt from following the estate rules!"

The more the staff spoke badly about Dalena and agreed with each other's musings, the more the Dowager Duchess felt enraged. Just what the hell is her son up to?

Unable to take it anymore, the Dowager Duchess went to where her son is to reprimand him once again.

Just as she arrived though, the scene she saw seemed more like an interaction between a family of three rather than employers hanging out with their employee.

The Dowager Duchess saw Luke laughing with Dalena, probably talking about some nonsense. Meanwhile, the bastard kid was held by the woman, hugging her closely while looking up to Luke.

Naturally, the Dowager Duchess scowled at the scene. She knew her son more than anyone else. Is that really how he treats his employees? Even being so generous enough to take them out to eat? Of course not.

The moment the Dowager Duchess saw that person's face, she knew that her son would be doing stupid things again.

"What do you think you're doing?" the  Dowager Duchess said loudly, pointing at Dalena.

Surprised by the sudden appearance of the  Dowager Duchess, Dalena changed her relaxed expression quickly and greeted her.

"Good afternoon, Your Grace. I hope you have recovered well." she said formally.

The  Dowager Duchess rolled her eyes at Dalena's greeting and even glared at her.

Seeing how rude his mother was, Luke tried to hold the  Dowager Duchess's arms to stop her. However, it did not seem to work as the  Dowager Duchess quickly swept them off.

"Listen you, do you know how many estate rules you're breaking? I know it's only expected because you are not picked by me and trained at Norland but you should still do your duty. Stop flirting with my son! You even dare to eat with them, huh? Do you know that Hamish, our most trusted employee, don't even do that? You shameless-"

As much as the Dowager Duchess wanted to vent out her anger on Dalena, Luke stopped her quickly.

"Mother, what are you doing!? Who are you to say that to her?" Luke said in an angry tone.

"Stupid child! You're even defending her? Don't you think I know that she's seducing you? Even using that bastard as an excuse, huh." the Dowager Duchess quickly exclaimed, pointing at Little George.

At the mention of the word 'bastard', George's heart clenched a little. Even though he has been called that ever since he was younger, he still could not help by feel affected by it, especially since he is aware of what that means now that he's a little older.

In a search for comfort, George looked away from the Dowager Duchess and buried his face on Dalena while hugging her tighter.

"That's enough, Mother!" Luke screamed at his mother, making her go speechless for a little while.

Seeing her son glare at her so much, the Dowager Duchess was even more furious.

"So that's it, huh? You're going to disregard your mother's opinion even though you know it's the best for you? Fine, whatever! You stubborn child!" the Dowager Duchess screamed back at Luke before quickly walking away.

As he watched his mother walk away, Luke took a deep breath to calm down. Afterwards, he took Little George from Dalena and did a signal for Dalena to follow him.

"We should go and have our lunch now. It has been too noisy in here." Luke murmured in a displeased tone.

Sensing something was wrong, Luke looked at Dalena who was looking at the ground and still standing at the same place where she was before.

"What's wrong, Miss? Do not take what my mother said to heart. Come on, let's leave now."

Dalena bit her lips, not really sure if she should follow the Duke's order. Truthfully, she is feeling very confused right now, as the Dowager Duchess' words stung too much. Is that what it really looks like to others? That she is seducing the Duke and not being a professional at her job?

Even though she may just be a useless foreigner in this country, Dalena still had her dignity. She just feels very overwhelmed about her reputation possibly being like that.

"But the Dowager Duchess is right, Your Grace. I should not be eating with you and Young Master George. I apologise if I have been unprofessional in anyway but please believe me when I say that I have no hidden intentions, even from the start."

Seeing how conflicted Dalena was, Luke took a deep breath once again. How can disasters happen every time his mother was around?

Not only Luke was distressed at Dalena's mood, Little George was also very affected. He reached out for Dalena's face, cupping her face just like what she'd always do for him.

However, it was cut short when his father turned around and used one of his hands to hold Dalena's tightly.

"I told you, don't listen to her. Let's go." Luke said in a stern tone.

Taken aback by the sudden warmth holding her hand, Dalena was disoriented and had no choice but to follow the father and son.

0