Chapter Nine: A Gamble
1.9k 15 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I am not alive, but I grow; I don't have lungs, but I need air; I don't have a mouth, but water kills me. What am I? “

 

Hmm. Fire. Final answer.

 

“Correct, congratulations on completing all of the riddles on this floor. Please proceed to the next floor.”

 

BING!

 

150 Experience points earned.

 

BING!

Threshold reached.

 

Unnamed being has reached LV. 2

 

A pleasant feeling coursed through my whole being. I felt it physically and…spiritually? Like in my soul? I remember the system saying something about my soul getting too big last time, so maybe it's feasible?

 

Details, smetails. Let’s check this STATUS!

Name:  
Race: Joru Pa
Gender: N/A
Condition: Good
Level: 2
EXP: 0/1300
HP: 14/14 MP: 8/8 STA: 13/13
STR: 1 INT: 8 DEX:20
Danger Rank: G+
Titles: Migrant, Loved by a Goddess, Progenitor, ???, ???
Racial Skills: Slime Secretion LV.1
Acquired Skills: Appraisal LV 1, Night Vision LV Max, Mana Manipulation LV 1, Acid Resistance LV 2, Acid Manipulation LV 1       
Unique Skills: Thoth

 

An extra point in DEX and STA? Nice! And my HP, MP, and STA all refilled? Good to know! 

 

Eh? I should be complaining about how this isn’t good enough?

 

 Nah. Gotta roll with the punches, ya know?

 

I’m all revved up. These riddles are nothing for me, the slug with wordplay more elegant wordplay than William Jiggleshield. I’ve been flying through them. But that's enough boasting from me, let’s get to the next floor.

 

*°*

 

Lada dee ~ Lada daaa.

 

Hmm. Wait, huh?

 

Is that anglerfish wearing a bowtie?! I dub thee Bowtie-san.

 

“Welcome valued guest, to the first floor of the Tiama Casino!” it shouted in a jovial tone.

 

 Casino? There’s no difference in the surroundings. It still just looked like a cave….

 

What happened to the riddles?

 

“Yes, the Tiama Casino is the number one dungeon casino. For the time being, your challenges will come from gambling instead of riddles.”

 

Ah. I see. 

 

“As such, in order for you to progress you will either have to beat the house or defeat the opponent that comes as a result of you losing.” the angler explains.

 

Ah. 

 

I see.

 

“Much like the actual game, the stats of the monster that you might fight are completely random. It all depends on your luck.”

 

Ah.

 

I.

 

See. 

 

Fantastic.

Spoiler

[collapse]

In my past life, I had the absolute worst luck when it came to gambling. I can’t even count how many times I lost to my teammates during down time, and got stuck doing some grunt work. Ugh, I feel like puking just thinking of it. 

 

And now, instead of scrubbing toilets and running dumb errands, I’m quite possible betting my life. Great.

 

Wait, don’t I have a secret weapon? MUAHA HAA -AGH! I have to give up the evil laugh. 

 

“Uh, guest? Are you alright?” the anglerfish asked with a tone of concern.

 

Oh! Y-yes. My apologies. Might you inform me on what game I might be playing on this floor?

 

“Certainly. On this floor, you will be taking part in a game that we call Blackeel.” 

 

Hmm, Blackeel?

 

“Yes, Blackeel. Would you like me to explain the rules?”

 

Oh, yes please.

 

“The rules are simple. Using a set of playing cards, both the guest and the house will be looking to have a total of twenty one points. Both parties will start with two cards. Points are designated as the number on the card with the ace and royalty cards being an exception.An ace is either eleven points or one point, it is up to the party to choose which value it holds. The royal cards count for ten points. A party may ask for a hit, meaning adding a random card, or fold and keep their current deck. Any score over twenty one points is an instant loss. The house will fold on 17. The winner of best of three victories wins. “ they explained. 

 

So it’s like I thought, it’s just like Blackjack. No, it IS Blackjack.

 

“Any questions, guest?”

 

No, I understand.

 

“In that case, can you confirm the cards before we began? There should be four of each card, but in a different suit. There should be number cards two through ten. The royalty cards should be jack, queen, and king. And there should also be four aces.”

 

A set of cards flew in front of me and spread itself out. 

 

Much like the cards I was familiar with, these had four suits. Like usual, the suits were diamonds, clubs, hearts, and spades. There were fifty two cards in total. I guess they took out the jokers.  Everything looked pretty standard until… the jack card.

 

The Jack royalty card had a two headed eel. Reminded me of a certain someone. 

 

Interesting…. in that case….. What do the rest of them look like? 

 

Hmm...there’s a four eyed angler fish on the queen card. 

 

….A spiny crab on the king card.

 

And an angelfish on the ace?

 

Is this foreshadowing? 

 

Well whatever, Bowtie-san! I’ve confirmed the cards.

 

“Alright, then let's proceed.”

 

Much like the cards, a table appeared between me and bowtie-san.

 

The cards shuffled themselves and then dealt two cards for each party.

 

Well that’s convenient….magic, am I right?

 

My visible card was a nine. As I reached out to flip the other card, I remember...I have no limbs…

 

Fortunately, it seemed the card knew my intention and showed me itself.

 

Magic, am I right?

 

The second card was a two, giving me a total of eleven.

 

A perfect hand to have. Well, it’s not twenty one off bat, but this is the second best. 

 

By that, I mean regardless of whatever card I get, I won’t bust.

 

I want either a ten or any of the royalty cards, giving me odds of twenty out of fourty eight. Not bad at all….

 

“Guest, will you be taking a hit?” Bowtie-san asked.

 

Yes, most definitely!

 

A card flew towards me, flipping over and showing the number eight.

 

Making my grand total of nineteen. Not what I was looking for but close enough?

 

“Another hit, guest?” 

 

Hmmm, do I risk it? No, the odds are too low. 

 

No, I’ll fold.

 

“Very well.”

 

Suddenly, the cards in front of Bowtie-san flipped over, being a ten and a seven.

 

In other words, seventeen.

 

In other other words, my win.

 

And I didn’t even need my secret weapon.

 

MUHAHA!  Maybe my luck changed!

 

BING!

 

75 Experience points earned.

 

 

“Congratulations on your win, are you ready for the next round?”

 

Yes.

 

The cards collected, reshuffled and dealt.

 

Before I could even check my hand, the cards in front of Bowtie-san flipped over.

 

A jack and an ace...twenty one.

 

FUUUD- Wait, let’s not be hasty, I still might have twenty one myself.

 

My first card is….an ace. Perfect.

 

And my second card is… a two.

 

FUUUUUUDDDGGGGEEEEE!

 

Since they’ve already won, I can’t take a hit.

 

It’s my loss.

 

“The house wins. Are you ready for the final round?”

 

Ah, there goes the luck I’m used to. I guess I’ll use my secret weapon now.

 

Bowtie-san, I’m ready.

 

“Very well, commencing final round.”

 

Once again, the cards reshuffled and flew out.

 

Time to bring out my secret weapon.

 

Pssshh, Maua.

 

EEK! Oh, it’s just you my love.

 

Did I scare you? My bad. But who else could it be?

 

My bb-boss.

 

Ooh, she’s flustered...let’s take advantage.

 

Your boss? What’s that? Is the great goddess Maua slacking on the job?!

 

N-no.

 

Hmm?

 

W-well m-maybe.

 

HMM?

 

Fine! I admit! I was slacking!

 

Hey! Don’t shout too loudly before your boss actually finds out.

 

Oh, right...oops. Wait, this is your fault!

 

Teehee~

 

Hmph. Well, now I’m not helping, dummy.

 

Sorry, sorry. It’s just you’re always teasing me, so I had to take the opportunity given to me. And while I can’t see you, I bet you looked pretty cute flustered like that.

 

Wh-what? You know for a slug, you have a pretty sly tongue sometimes. Well, I guess it can’t be helped.

 

Oi! What was that? Whatever, can you see what’s on the cards even when they're faced down?

 

I can, but how did you know about that?

 

Just a guess, sounded like some godly ability.

 

Well, I can, but I won’t.

 

Whaa? Why not?

 

 Because I want the best for you. I don’t want to hamper your growth.

 

Okay that makes sense. NOT.  In that case, you wouldn’t have helped me with all those riddles. This is payback for teasing you, huh?

 

Teehee~

 

Well so much for my secret weapon.

 

Guess I’ll have to do this myself.

 

It seems Bowtie-san was waiting patiently that whole time. What a gentlefish.

 

Now, let's take a look at my cards.

 

An eight and a seven. 

 

“A hit, dear guest?”

 

Yes,please.

 

A five. Giving me twenty in total. I’d be stupid to take the chance with another hit.

 

Bowtie-san flipped the cards for the house over. There was a five and a three.

 

They took another , which was an eight, bringing them up to sixteen.

 

They took one more card, which was a….queen.

 

They busted!

 

I WON!

 

BING!

 

200 Experience points earned.

 

Bowtie-san, the table, and the cards began to glow faintly and slowly disappear.

 

“Congratulations, on your win dear guest. I wish you the best on the rest of your travels!” they said as they faded away.

 

A gentlefish until the end, huh?

 

Time to get going.

Hey beautiful people. I have a couple of questions for you all. I was wondering if you all would be interested in a discord server for the story. I was also wondering if you all would like me to add little photos into the chapters like I did in this chapter, or let it go. Let me know! Other than that, have a good day!

Would you be interested in a discord server for the story?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
64