Chapter Eighteen: A Forest
1.1k 6 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hmm.

 

Hold on a second. Let's have a quick mind meeting. 

 

Just kidding, it’s just me up here...though I do wonder if there’s a split mind skill. All the super overpowered reincarnation main characters have it...I want it. I guess I just have to bear with it for now.

 

Anyways, I’m totally getting deja vu here.

 

From what though? 

 

Hmm. 

 

Oh, right. This is totally like when that dumb goldfish chased me...

 

And also that first eel…

 

Yep. That settles it. This guy has to die.

 

In the most brutal way I can think of right now.

 

Okay, that concludes the mind meeting. Let’s resume.

 

I sideslid the mouthful of razors and immediately spat out some acid. 

 

The acid flew out my mouth and hit the big fish on his side, scalding a gill and a fin.

 

The unexpected pain caused the fish to veer off, crashing into the canopy of seaweed that surrounded us.

 

The idiot began to thrash and turn, even more eager to eat me after the pain I caused it. 

 

That turned out to be its downfall.

 

By throwing itself around, it ended up tangled in the kelp, giving me a golden opportunity.

 

In my past life, I always considered myself an opportunist, taking an advantage I could get. War does that to you.

 

I guess that's not changing anytime soon. 

 

Pushing thoughts on my thought process aside, I crawled towards the struggling fish getting a closer look at it. 

 

Its body was fiery red orange, making it look like a flame within the sea of kelp surrounding it. 

 

A gaping mouth that could swallow a grown man swung open and close violently.

 

The fish stared at me with big eyes, full of anger, but a lack of true intelligence. 

 

Hmm, it kind of looks like a...what was it called? 

 

Groupon? No. 

 

Groop? Heh. I am Groop. But that’s not it.

 

Argh! Whatever. If it’s the species I’m thinking about, I read in a book that the males can have a harem up to fifteen females big. What a bunch of dweebs.

 

The whole species can rot in snail for all I care… starting with this big guy right in front of me. 

 

What to do…what to do…AHA!  Got it!

 

I secreted some slime on my underside, giving me the ability to climb the kelp. 

 

I did so, climbing directly above the big mouth fish.

 

Satisfied with my position, I turned to face the ugly creature.

I opened my mouth, allowing some acid to dribble out.

 

*°*

 

Ehe.

 

Ehehe.

 

Ehehehe.

 

Muha.

 

MUHAHAHAHA!

 

Huh? Oops. Must’ve got carried away there.

 

I may or may not have spent the last couple of hours slowly pouring substances with varying acidity on top of the groop or whatever its called while laughing maniacally.  

 

I swear I’m not a sadist.

 

Besides, there’s no evidence and I plead the fifth. You can’t prove anything!

 

Anyways... the corpse looked absolutely disgusting. The scales were completely melted, along with a lot of the muscles and several of the bones. The innards of the fish were exposed. The acid ate through most of these organs, causing the bodily fluids within them to flow out. If I could, I would absolutely vomit. Fortunately, I can't, woohoo for slug anatomy!

 

Needless to say, the smell fuming from the corpse was down right terrible. It was like a concoction of cigarette smoke, vomit, bleach, and chum. It is definitely one of the worst fragrances to ever grace my nostrils. What do slugs even have nostrils? Err...I’ll play it safe and just call them sensory organs instead.

 

Regardless of what method I used to detect the odor, it was repulsive. Except to the creatures who had come to the corpse, and started ripping at the remaining flesh.

 

Huh? Wait a minute, what now? Several beasts had lurked up and started eating the fish as I...conducted my experiment. Yes, my experiment.

 

Having finished with the carcass, the several dozens of animals glanced up at me with greedy eyes.

 

Aw, balls. They totally want to eat me. What a bunch of gluttons.

 

Luckily, I thought something like this might happen, so I prepared ahead. I know, as expected of me! 

 

During those empty levels in the sunlight zone, which supplied me with plenty of free time, I started to think about how I might deal with multiple enemies simultaneously.

 

What I came up with was by shooting a glob of acid above the enemy, and then breaking up the glob at its climax, I can attack them with a sort of heavy acid rain. I call it the Borealis Splash because of the way it splashes all over the enemy, and the pretty colors it comes in.

 

Well, at least in theory. I haven’t quite tried it out yet….but what better time than now? 

 

I gather my mana to my mouth, before spewing it at an angle above the fish. As it reached my desired position, I focused causing it to form into smaller droplets before sending it down towards them.

 

It looked very cool with the cascade of colors but it was very taxing. 

 

All my mana was gone with just that. 

 

BING!

Threshold reached.

Acid Manipulation Lv. 1 increased to Acid Manipulation Lv. 2

 

Score! I wonder why it upgraded now…maybe because I made my own attack? 

 

Well, I’m not complaining.

 

After moving the system notification aside, I began to see the raindrops finally hit the creatures.

 

It was certainly effective, but not effective enough. It burned where it hit, but it was just skin level damage. 

 

Maybe the upgrade didn’t affect the already made attack?

 

Whatever the case maybe, it resulted in a problem for me.

 

That problem being, I had enraged the beings that already wanted to eat me and I exhausted my mana without killing them.

 

With any problem, there’s always a solution.

 

Mine is simple, RUN AWAY!

 

I hopped off the kelp and dashed away, with the fish hot on my tail.

 

Being the fastest and most nimble slug ever, probably, I began to lose some of the pursuers. My smaller body allowed me to make it through openings that tangled the rest up.

 

I kept going full speed ahead as I saw a clearing. Thinking the sooner I get out of this forest the better, I made a beeline for it.

 

I seemed to lose the last of the fish as I reached the clearing.

 

A clearing that was really a cliff… that I catapulted off of.

 

AHHHH!

 

I fell down, feeling major deja vu for the second time in a few hours.

 

As I hit the bottom, what was there waiting for me was not a dungeon but a... village?

 

Heyyo! Writing chapters with no dialogue is hard. Thankfully, there's only a few more chapters with Slug-chan on their own...I know it's probably getting boring but we're almost there! Also we have this week's poll winner: Anassa. The money hungry, gambling addict, head maid. I assume Kna'Ve will win in a landslide. Let me know who you'd like to see next. Other than that, enjoy your day!

Who do you want to see artwork for next?
  • Kna'Ve Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Sarkin Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Meister Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Maua Votes: 39 51.3%
Total voters: 76
49