Ch7. Witch
893 7 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     The sound of cracking joints and snapping bones soon died out as my form was nearing completion. I had shrunk significantly and my long limbs had shortened. My bones still showed despite my muscular frame though but that can be solved with some clothes and a cloak, which I just so happened to have picked up at the camp. A good friend taught me this relatively simple method, just a few mental alterations here and a few mental suggestions there and you could infiltrate any group. A sigh escaped me when a tall shadowy horned figure crossed my mind, its always hard getting over the loss of a brother in arms.

     I slowly approached closer and closer to the running group until i was bringing up the rear along with the man with the shield. Eventually after around two miles they stopped to catch there breath. The leader, Deadlaf I believe, turned around to do a headcount but when he got to me his eyes widened in horror but he was quickly placated when he looked into my eye. After the headcount he revealed what i was really here for, information. 

“Ok, I know we are all stressed by our previous encounters but we need to keep calm and head to Rafton. There a post manager is waiting to send news of our mission.” He stated, slightly out of breath.

There it is again, something about this organization that they apparently work for. I wonder if there anything like the Blood Hunters of old, that thought put a smile on my face.

“What about that creature sir, we may not be able to get that far. Rafton is almost two days away and we left all of our equipment at camp.” A tall lanky blonde holding a bow stated.

“I know that Rolaf but my guess is that the creature is just highly territorial and was only trying to chase us out,” 

Half right, i was indeed territorial but I’m doing this for other reasons.

“And besides I’m a ranger, i have lived in the woods all my life.” Deadlaf said dismissively.

I would trust your friend more Mr. Deadlaf only one of you guys will leave this forest alive. After a second I decided to throw out my own question, 

“...what...about... the...girl...” I said with difficulty, its been awhile since I’ve spoken this language, guess I’m a bit rusty.

Deadlaf looked at me strangely for a second before seemingly recalling something. 

“I forgot about your injury for a second jack, sorry about that. You don’t have to worry about the girl, even though she was valuable she wasn’t that valuable. We have other means to track down that witch.”

My eyebrow raised at the last statement, I wonder what kind of witch he means. But before I could ponder any longer the other three quickly questioned him about who he was talking to. Looks like times up so I decided to leave but not before a parting gift. Quickly transforming my hand back into a claw I turned and ripped open my neighbors stomach. After leaving my little present I pulled myself back into the trees.

     As soon as i was far enough back to not be seen I turned and started to head back to the camp. On my way back I stared at the rising sun in annoyance, i have never liked light especially the sun’s. Since there is still plenty of time to torment my prey, meat tastes better when marinated in fear, i needed to set claim to my new territory. To complete the ceremony I needed to make candles, a totem, and a sizable fire. I also needed to gather certain herbs to create the ceremonial paint.

     I sighed a little bit as I reverted back, I didn’t want to do it during daylight but since I’ve hunted prey here I needed to quickly lay claim. I swiftly made it back to the fledglings body, I needed its heart to complete a certain ritual. The bones will also be useful in the claiming ceremony. While i was there I searched for the girl but there was no sign of her. I decided to search for a magical signature,I focused slightly and vividly colored strands appeared around me. In the sea of colors there was one strand that stood out, it was tightly braided and a deep green. It was weak and broken, who ever left it was trying to cover up there trail. I smiled at the futile attempt, you can never erase your magic signature only reduce it. I snatched it out of the air and closely inspected it.

    The tightly nit strands where evidence it had come from a slightly powerful individual. There amount of control was admirable, especially from such a young individual. With a squeeze the braid in my hand disintegrated into particles, i was slightly annoyed that I couldn’t sense it at first, I must still be recovering from the blood hunt. The good news though was that it’s not a eldritch witch hidden in this forest, stuck up arrogant snipes the lot of them. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with a self righteous witch going around and cracking reality in a attempt to cleanse the world.

     My interest was peaked, I could identify it was a magic of spiritual origin but it was made of human mana. I decided to track down this individual and have a talk with them. Spirits rarely teach individuals there magic but there have been a few cases of it happening. A warning is needed though. A smile slowly cracked on my face, lets see how powerful this so called witch is.

A/N- I have a discord if you want to join https://discord.gg/BkUP7Eg2WJ

    

32