Ch37. Surprise
282 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     With the go-ahead from Sohan I left the medic bay with Derek and headed to the ape valley exit, the previous plan stated that we split off in groups of four but from what Derek said it was changed due to the accident. The new plan was to move in a single unit to prevent any sudden disappearances. The new target should be the riverbank exit located in the western branch of the northern wing; we were quickly approaching when a sudden scream came from behind us followed by a loud crash. Derek and I exchanged a quick look before picking up our pace, it sounded distinctly feminine and probably came from the medic bay, but before it could be investigated, we needed to alert the rest of the group.

POV shift----------------------------------------------------------------------
      I sighed while searching for a red leaf in a sea of ingredients, I just wanted some sweet revenge but now I needed to work with these bastards to escape that bloodthirsty creature. Hopefully, I’m not the target but I can’t be too careful. Finally, after scouring through two full cabinets of all kinds of ingredients I found what I was looking for, a heartleaf. Usually used to help cure a patient who got a bit too acquainted with the fangs of a bloodhive worker by preventing the venom from stopping the blood in their veins, but today it will not have such a noble purpose. I carefully began to grind the leaf in a nearby mortar and pestle, once it was reduced into a fine powder, I moved over to the poor fella named Sangal.

     You don’t just have brain damage as bad as him and not have significant internal bleeding, something that the blood leaf certainly won't help with. The man’s right eye feebly turned to look at me as I unceremoniously dumped the fine powder over his face. He only gave a weak cough in response to the powder filling his lungs, but his eyes never closed. I had to applaud him on his immense will to not blink after taking a face full of powder. He tried to sit up, but could only prop himself up with his elbows, he opened his mouth and in a strained voice he could only say, “You” before I placed a finger over his lips and pushed him back down.

He was a Deadman and not at all a threat, so I turned my back and began searching through the cabinets for anything useful against the monster outside. From what that prick Deadlaf said the creature was possibly a forest spirit, which is the best-case scenario, but it could also be something more unpleasant based on its ability to morph flesh and blood. While I was frantically searching for anything useful Sangal began to speak once again, “should” but I quickly shut him up, “You need to be a good patient and rest quietly.”

Soon I had gathered a considerable amount of herbs and began to process them into something actually usable but I was soon interrupted by an unknown raspy voice, “…Run…”

I turned around in a panic and found Sangal just inches away from my face, instead of his previous delirious look an expression of pure insanity replaced it. I instinctively reacted with a shove which caused the man to stumble back. I grabbed the bowl of powder beside me and slammed it into his head causing pieces of porcelain and powder to explode everywhere.

      I didn’t know what was going on, a man certainly on the brink of death apparently was able to move around just fine, I grabbed a small dagger and held it protectively in front of me as Sangal righted himself and mechanically turned to face me. My blood froze when his face was once again revealed, an inhuman smile stretched from ear to ear showing a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth, and In place of his right eye was a cavernous hole that possessed a pinprick of light. My breath caught in my throat as I realized what was happening, the monster had already infiltrated the compound. I needed to perform my next actions carefully, my only hope was to maybe placate the creature before it ripped me to shreds.

     I slowly and carefully put the dagger on the floor and gently kicked it over before meticulously getting up, a small dagger will not help me at all, and if I can use it to show that I don’t want to fight all the better. The creature cocked its head and stared at me then at the dagger, seeing how I’m not dead I’d count that as a win. As it was occupied by observing the dagger I slowly put my hands up and backed away towards the door, I was unprepared to properly calm and interact with such a creature so I needed to leave before the novelty of our interaction wears off. I was close to the door when I accidentally brushed up against a chair causing a small amount of noise, but apparently, it was enough to catch the creature’s attention. Before I knew it, a deathly cold hand wrapped around my throat and I was sailing through the air.

      With a thud, I slammed into the rough wooden bed causing it to crack and splinter, looks like this won’t be as easy as I hoped. I quickly put all my power into creating a protective dome around me and I was halfway finished when a thunderous boom caused me to falter. I looked in horror at the fist that caused my barrier to crack and before I knew It the creature withdrew his fist and punched once again causing the cracks to spread. I tried to add more fortifications but no matter what I did the creature's relentless punches broke through. I could feel it now, a cold malicious aura slowly permeated throughout the surroundings as the steady pounding of the creature's fist meeting my barrier filled my ears, this isn’t good.

A/N-  I have a discord if you want to join https://discord.gg/BkUP7Eg2WJ

17