Chapter 5. Easy night
115 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking over the last few rays of light of the setting sun, Vesta sighed as she fixed the reins of her grey maned horse. In the end, only a little over half a day of travel was covered.

Of course, although the reins loosening midway could not have possibly been her fault, Vesta would certainly be keeping it a secret that she had unconsciously slowed down, the sea was too comforting after all.

Vesta couldn't help Pouting as she Peeked over at Celyn, who was seated near the campfire holding two half eaten pieces of roasted rabbit leg, his tongue slowly running over his oily lips as the cyan colored eyes remained fixated on her, she wasn't really sure if he was doing that on purpose or not.

With a growling belly Vesta approached Celyn and comfortably sat beside him before taking a roasted piece for herself. Now tasting the somewhat bland meat, she was considering turning around and going back to the village, just for the sake of salt.

Looking over at the one responsible for the bountiful hunt, Clara, who was coiled around Celyn's hand delicately eating a roasted piece. Vesta felt like her lips would be permanently pouting due to these two. Vesta could clearly see the disgust on the little white snake just a moment ago when she finished preparing the rabbit and gave her a raw piece.

Vesta could swear she heard a small 'humph' as her tiny little head tilted sideways in abhorrence, looking almost hurt that she would offer her some 'disgusting' raw meat. Her pondering was soon interrupted by Celyn's soft gulping sounds, holding the water skin with his now free hand in her direction.

'She's terrifically relaxed in this environment, either no sense of danger whatsoever or completely used to it.' Thought Vesta for a moment as she stared at the shiny wet tip of the water skin before taking it from Celyn's hand and drinking it.

Celyn stared at her for a moment before stretching his arms with a soft moan. "I'll be going to sleep then, good night." His voice trailed off as he turned around and crawled inside the tent, Vesta's eyes followed his behind as she soon heard only the crackling fire and the faint breathing from inside the tent.

Peering into the calmly sleeping face, Vesta exhaled softly as her gaze shifted toward the moons gently illuminating the night sky.

As she stared listlessly, Vesta pondered if it would've been better had the conclusion to her little dilemma, turned out to be as simple as it looked.

After gathering her thoughts and adding more wood to the fire, Vesta squeezed into the tent and laid down sideways beside Celyn. Her thoughts drifting as she peeked at his face before closing her eyes. She had seen that same careless sleeping face before in the past a few times, and for each one of them, she hoped with all her heart for the one bearing it to not open it's eyes.

Soon Vesta fell asleep, her hand gently clutching the silver sword's hilt, a habit formed throughout the years of traveling alone.

On the next chilly morning, Vesta's eyelids slowly twitched open as the brightly shining sunrays overcast the trees, falling on the small tent beside the campfire. 

She affirmed once more her personal bias against group travel, thinking it only made the involved party unguarded believing in safety of numbers. 'She's a dangerous influence, not two days have passed and my time honed habits are crumbling like a sand castle conquered by the sea's waves.'

Vesta completely threw on Celyn the reason for her sleeping like a log. Though she made no effort to move from her current position as she considered it a privileged one, given the first class view of Celyn's slightly parted lips and the seemingly sleeping Clara being bathed in drool.

After spending more than she'd like to admit enjoying the view, Vesta slowly raised her upper body while leaning towards Celyn, and with her free hand she gently shook his shoulder.

As she kept trying to wake up the sleeping beauty, Vesta began considering using more extreme methods, as the gentle approach seemed to not be effective against the impenetrable fortress of dreams. However, before the aggressor had the chance to change her strategy, the defenseless castle took her by surprise with an unexpected hug. 

Vesta was unsure how to react as she felt Celyn's arms going around her back and neck, and a his leg hooking around hers. Hearing Celyn's satisfied exhale, she released sigh of her own to being completely treated as a body pillow.

She immediately gave up any form of resistance and soon fell asleep again in Celyn's arms, assuring herself it was out of worry for his sleep health, and drowsily coming up with a few more excuses as she breathed in his mellow scent.

...

A few hours later, Vesta was hastily repacking and tying everything onto the horse. She could not help but feel that this week long trip would likely extend to a month.

After finishing, and practically having to drag the still sleepy Celyn atop the horse, they finally managed to set out. Although this time, feeling Celyn's warm breath on her ear and the weight of his head on her shoulder, the horse slowing down was a conscious decision.

"Hmm, are you still mad?" Vesta felt the signature pout forming on her lips as she heard Celyn's soft voice beside her ear.

"I'm not mad, Why would I be mad?" Her voice laced with fabricated annoyance as she faked her best impression of passive aggressiveness.

"Come on, don't be like this, it was just a little bit of saliva." Vesta's hand involuntarily reached back as the understatement of the day floated in the wind, it was in fact not just a little bit of saliva, she had woken up with a third of her hair caked in drool. Sadly for her the strange fabric of Celyn's pants prevented her from properly pinching his thigh.

2