Chapter 4c
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kidlat fon Bituin might not have been the chief of the Reptillians in Janiga City, but he certainly was the most prolific.

Shorter and leaner than Alon, he nevertheless exuded an aura of discipline and self-control - qualities that made him the vice-commander of Janiga City’s Naval fleet. He also noticeably lacked the ‘hissing s’ that all Reptillians Hugh had met had.

It was Kidlat who greeted them at the district which Reptillians have made their home in. It was right by the river, giving these River Reptillians (as opposed to their Swamp cousins) a sense of home.

“You are looking for my nest-brother Mikelo, are you not?” he opened with that direct question after they exchanged greetings.

Ruth gave a wry smile. “My main business is with Mikelo, yes, but I’m also here in the hopes that you could teach my aide more about your culture.”

Their attention turned to Hugh. Their double stares were intense. “I see. This is the shapeshifter then?”

“This is Hugh,” she lightly corrected, and Kidlat seemed to get the message. He tipped his head in apology. “I wouldn’t like it either if I were to be addressed solely by my race. My apologies, Hugh.”

He nervously waved off the apology. Kidlat nodded. “I will lead you, President Ruth, to Mikelo first then.”

He led them to a tavern where a loud, boisterous person was singing sea shanties within. Opening the doors revealed a large bipedal wolf waving about a tankard; his actions entertained the other customers within. They didn’t seem even a little disturbed by the fact that a large bipedal wolf was amongst their midst.

Kidlat calmly took an empty tankard from the nearest table and threw it at the wolf. It bounced harmlessly off his head, but it was enough to get the wolf’s attention.

“Kidlat!” the wolf loudly called. “My right-hand man, why have you thrown a tankard at my handsome face?”

“You have guests, Mikelo,” he gestured to Ruth. Mikelo’s face lit up in delight.

“Ruth! Why, I haven’t seen you since two seasons ago. You have grown!” he said as he came closer.

“You say that every time Mikelo Wolf,” the sight of a lean woman and a large wolf exchanging fist bumps was surreal.

That’s when Mikelo noticed Hugh. “Ahh, this must be your aide! What is your name, young man?” he asked, gripping both of Hugh’s shoulders in his hands. The smell of wet fur was quite strong at this distance.

“My name is Hugh. A pleasure to meet you, sir,” he sincerely said.

“Haha, a polite young man to boot! Let’s forget about all this ‘sir’ business Hugh. A friend of Ruth is certainly a friend of mine.

Come, let us go to a corner for our discussion.” He moved to the far table, and was surprised when Kidlat made no move to follow. “Not joining us, brother?”

“I will be escorting Hugh to look around the district,” Kidlat explained.

Mikelo nodded. “Excellent! Well, don’t let Kidlat intimidate you Hugh; he is a very proud member of his race.” He gave Hugh a strong pat on the shoulder and waved them off.

That left Hugh and Kidlat together outside the tavern. The latter indicated that they should head to the river, which Hugh mindlessly agreed, being rather overwhelmed.

“Mikelo Wolf is my nest-brother, raised as any Reptillian should be.” Kidlat explained. “We took him in when he had first transformed, and he has been family since.”

“Excuse me for asking, but what is a ‘nest-brother’?” Hugh asked.

He inclined his head. “Reptillians are hatched from eggs. Are you aware of this?” Hugh nodded.

“We have a mating season, and after that an egg-laying season. All the eggs laid during that season are gathered into a bunch, given a shared family name, and are raised together by the whole village. Or in this case, the whole district.” Kidlat indicated the district with a wave of his arm. “Those with a shared family name consider each other siblings. Hence, nest-brother or nest-sister. Though Mikelo’s name follows the convention of the wyrs, we Bituin nevertheless consider him family as he was raised with us.”

“I see. That is interesting,” Hugh honestly observed. Then a thought struck him. “Then what about Alon? You took him in during that whole fiasco about which academy we should be attending. Is he considered a Bituin then?”

Kidlat smiled, which honestly looked so odd that Hugh had a chill run down his spine. Nevertheless, his tone was warm. “Alon is a special case. He is considered my son, hence why he takes my name.”

“Alon son of Kidlat,” Hugh recited, and Kidlat nodded in affirmation.

They chatted more as they walked, with Kidlat pointing out various historical and cultural details. Soon the river was in sight, and Hugh was taken aback by the beautiful view of the port. They silently admired the view, only broken when Kidlat asked a question.

“How is Alon doing at school?” The parent-like enquiry surprised Hugh, who gave it some thought before answering.

“He’s really doing well in his sciences, though he’s a bit of a loner. We talk a lot about the medical journals we both read.” Hugh wrestled with himself for a moment, wondering if it was his place to tell about what happened yesterday morning. He decided to drop a hint, “Though it’s not really school he’s having problems with.”

Kidlat closed his eyes. “The medical guild, correct?” Hugh answered affirmatively. However, Kidlat kept his silence.

“… You’re not going to help him, are you?” Hugh pointed out.

“He is a proud member of the River Reptillians. Before he joined the guild, I counselled him. He knew the risks, but chose that path anyhow. That makes me proud, as his father.

No, I will not help him. Did he ask for my help, or even your help?” Hugh shook his head. “Then he merely needed an ear. You did well to listen to his complaints. But further help would only break his spirit. That is my opinion anyhow.”

They looked on to the harbour which bustled with noise and life. “As his father, I hope that you will continue to lend Alon your ears when he needs it. That would be more than enough.”

After awhile, they headed back to rejoin Mikelo and Ruth at the tavern.

0