014 – At the Basilisk’s Table
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

014 - At the Basilisk's Table

Dining with Monsters.​

{Excerpt}

The lion is considered to be the king of mortal beasts, and the eagle the king of mortal birds; hence, the gryphon is thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Since antiquity, gryphons were known as astute guardians of treasures and priceless possessions, protectors from evil, witchcraft, and secret slander, symbols of great power and guardians of the divine.

According to the ancient scripts, gryphons are said to have a body upward as an eagle and beneath as a lion; truly they say sooth, that they be of that shape. But one gryphon hath the body more great and is more strong than eight lions, of such lions as be on this half, and more great and stronger than a hundred eagles such as we have amongst us. For one gryphon there will bear, flying to his nest, a great horse, if he may find him at the point, or two oxen yoked together as they go at the plough. For he hath his talons so long and so large and great upon his feet, as though they were horns of great oxen or of bugles or of kine, so that men make cups of them to drink of. And of their ribs and of the pens of their wings, men make bows, full strong, to shoot with arrows and quarrels.

In size and strength they surpass lions, and having this advantage over them that they have wings, they will attack them, and they get the better of wyverns and of dragons and of phoenixes. But they have no great power of flying, not more than have other great beasts of short flight; for they are not winged as is proper with birds or phoenixes, but the palms of their feet are webbed with red membranes, such that they are able to revolve them, and make a flight and fight in the air; the basilisk alone is beyond their powers of attack because its swiftness in the waters of Morgar rivals the winds.

Ser Lucius Mandeville's musings on the legend of the Gryphon​

{END}

[20.02.1624]​

Mallowston.

…My son hates me; loathes my very presence.

The young lord doesn't hate you, My Liege.

Cunning beyond his age he may be, he is still a boy wet behind the ears; he will act unreasonably, more so when fearing for his life.

Death's breath has done far worse to men far grizzled than he shall ever be.

With time, his lordship's dread and righteous anger shall fade and he shall surely return to his father's bosom…

We both know he always does…

Always will.

…Sean repaid my benevolence with this?

For the sake of the friendship between myself and his deceased father, I took him in and raised him as my own; when Levi showed no interest in my title I went as far as to name him my heir…

And this is how he repays me?'

My Lord—

It seems I have been too lax in my ways and allowed the realm to forget the terrors of the Dark Gryphon.

There would be a price to pay for harming my child so; their debts eternally grave…

Pleading bloody recompense.

***​

Verily, the grand hall of Mallowston Fort teemed with activity. Servants scurried about, preparing a feast for the youthful lord and his esteemed guests. The air hung heavy with the scent of roasted meats and spiced wines, whilst laughter and conversation resounded against the sturdy stone walls. At the hall's far end, a mighty fire roared within the hearth, casting dancing shadows throughout.

Seated upon a lofty chair at the head of a lengthy wooden table, the earl presided over his assembly, surrounded by trusted allies and advisors. Arrayed in a finely embroidered tunic and a cloak trimmed with fur, his inky curls were, for once, meticulously groomed.

As the initial course was served, a troupe of minstrels entered, their lutes strumming melodies of valorous exploits and tragic romances. The lord's guests applauded and revelled, some taking to the floor for merry dances. Nearby, in a secluded nook, Vaiu and Lovell sat with Lady Junita and her handmaiden, Jin, engaged in embroidery and gossip. Adorned in elegant gowns and sparkling jewels, their laughter mingled with the festive atmosphere. Neither Aden, the Queen nor the crown princess were anywhere in sight, hidden away in the rooms above.

Vaiu found the feast to her liking, pleasantly surprised by its extravagance and joviality. It seemed that Levi, besides demonstrating unexpected strategic prowess, possessed the demeanour of a true nobleman. The Matriarch observed with amusement as the earl's gaze strayed towards her, prompting him to excuse himself and approach.

"Fair ladies, I trust your evening is pleasant," he remarked, seating himself beside Jin and encircling her waist with a playful arm. The governess blushed, glaring at him but made no further objections to his faux pas.

Vaiu arched a brow at the scene.

"Pardon the lord's impertinence, my lady," Lady Junita interjected with a smile, leaning close to whisper in Vaiu's ear, "he has taken a sudden fancy to my dear Jin, it seems, and struggles to contain his ardour."

"Alas," the earl lamented dramatically, "I am but a man ensnared by passion's throes. This morning, m'lady here sard me so thoroughly, I feared I might miss my own revelry."

"How uncouth!" Vaiu gasped in feigned shock, a gleam of amusement flickering in her eyes. "I had wondered if you had set your sights on my niece, given your men have trailed her through town since you first beheld her."

Vaiu smirked as the earl's gaze sharpened in response. "I merely sought to ensure the young miss' safety," Levi replied, casting a pointed glance at the niece in question. "What sane man would allow a maiden to wander a strange town unaccompanied and unprotected?"

"Well then, I must thank you, My Lord, for your foresight and vigilance," Lovell retorted dryly, seemingly unimpressed. "I shall take greater care henceforth."

The earl nodded, unfazed. His attention scarcely lingered on the girl, panning back to regard Vaiu.

"Walk with me," he said, planting a light kiss upon Jin's hand before rising. Vaiu's brow jumped lightly before she complied, following him from the Great Hall into the bailey beyond.

"I must inform you," Vaiu began, "your father, however tolerant he may be of your escapades, would not approve of his son pursuing his former paramour."

The earl betrayed no reaction. "You need not worry, My Lady," he replied impassively. "Unlike my father, I have no desire to court a woman so dangerously beyond my station. I summoned you to put forth a proposition for us to work together."

Vaiu paused, the evening breeze tousling her hair. "I was almost certain you would harbour no interest in The Creed, My Lord. Are you merely naive, speaking without truly comprehending the depth of the pond you intend to wade in?"

Levi shook his head, gazing at the moonlit sky. "At present, I do not presume to avoid entanglement with you or your... Creed. I harbour no quarrel with your order, but how can I be certain of that in the future? I have many plans; I need to be completely certain their execution would not culminate in me blundering into your path or simply making myself a nuisance to be removed by proxy. For this reason, I seek to establish communication now to avert conflict."

"...What do you propose?" the matriarch asked, intrigued.

"I could induct a representative from the Creed into my court," the earl proposed, "officiating them and permitting some liberties and immunities that were previously unattainable... save through covert means. In return, they would act as a liaison between my court and the Creed."

Vaiu regarded him curiously. "And what say you to the notion of constructing a chapel in honour of the Divine Siblings in Mallowston and Faywyn?"

"That is a possibility," the earl replied. "If our alliance proves fruitful, I see no reason why the Creed could not establish chapels in all regions under my rule, not limited to Faywyn and Mallowston. Furthermore, these chapels should be exempt from taxes and allowed to collect funds from the people. However, does the Creed possess sacred texts or scriptures of some manner?"

"Aye, we do," Vaiu affirmed, producing a finely crafted tome from her garments. The earl accepted it, flipping through its pages.

"I do have one condition," he continued. "The version of this scripture used to influence my people must undergo scrutiny and alterations as deemed necessary before it is circulated in the chapels. Additionally, these chapels must be overseen directly by my court to prevent any discord between our organizations."

"Do you intend to defile the Creed's sacred text?" Vaiu inquired her tone growing stern. The earl chuckled, motioning for her to relax.

"Defile?" he exclaimed incredulously. "Nay, nay. I merely insist that my people are not indoctrinated into believing the Creed holds supreme authority within my domain. That I cannot abide. This is why the Creed has struggled to gain traction in Udoris; no ruler would tolerate such a challenge to their sovereignty. Neither shall I. However, I am willing to compromise, hence the need to amend your scriptures before they reach my people."

"...I will consider it," Vaiu said, her expression ponderous.

"Gramercy," spake Levi, his lips curved in mirth. "In token of our future bond, I shall ordain the erection of the foremost three chapels within mine demesne: Faywyn, Mallowston, and Towleigh. Furthermore, I grant leave for The Creed to promote me as a faithful adherent, thereby enhancing your influence."

Vaiu beheld the earl, her gaze lingering, searching for his game. She knew him not to be witless; there must be some grand design he aimed to advance for him to give up so much, yet it eluded her scrutiny, vexing her greatly.

"Then must I offer you thanks," replied the Matriarch, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. "To neglect such kindness would be churlish, hence I impart unto you tidings of worth. Duke Tristan, the Lion of Khule, marshals a host of no less than two thousand, set to march eastward to lay claim upon Aden's domains. The full muster of his forces shall be dispatched to you in writing come morn."

"...An host of two thousand, you say?" quoth the earl, a smirk playing upon his lips. His merriment puzzled Vaiu, leaving her mute, pondering its meaning.

"...A queer fellow you are, Levi," she spake at length, a smile creeping upon her countenance. "I anticipate our collaboration eagerly."

***​

Helsbury, Verum.

The hall of the castle lay hushed, save for the clatter of utensils. Upon the table, simplicity reigned, with modest linen coverings and unadorned pewter plates. The fare, robust yet unremarkable, mirrored the king's pragmatic rule. A roasted fowl accompanied by root vegetables and thick slices of bread, alongside a plain stew and a simple salad of greens, comprised the meal. Candlelight flickered upon the walls, casting shifting shadows upon the tapestries that adorned them.

"I have decided," declared the king, his words breaking the silence. Princess Alina raised her gaze, meeting her father's steely stare. "You shall wed young Everhard," he announced, offering no further explanation. The princess's heart skipped a beat at the decree, her grip tightening around the fork handle until her knuckles paled. A muffled chuckle sounded from across the table. Though she felt her accursed half-brother Brandon's burning gaze upon her, she refused to grant him even the barest courtesy that was a fleeting glance.

"As you command, Your Majesty," she replied, her voice strained.

"Do not disappoint me," the king retorted tersely, his words sealing her fate with scant elaboration. The princess glared at her meal for a lingering moment.

Then, as if by enchantment, her anger dissolved, vanishing like mist before the breeze...

1