Chapter 5
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clarity: it’s a beautiful thing, and for the first time in what felt like an eternity Matthius felt just that. Moments earlier, all he felt was guilt, pain, and madness settling in him, but now, there was an overwhelming peace. He sensed that he was still unconscious, yet at the same time, he felt hyper-aware of his surroundings.
He could hear two men talking about things that, at the moment, didn’t make sense to him. He tried to remember what had happened before the darkness embraced him; it all came rushing back. The fall had been a nasty one; it had left him nearly dead with a gaping wound in his head.
It was at this point, recollection of the terrifying dream swiftly filled him with equal parts fear and rage. Nerraz. That was his name. He killed my mom; he is the reason I lost Sam. Matthius' memory was flashing gruesome images of the aftermath of his mother’s fateful meeting with Nerraz.
Still enraged, his mind was filled with thoughts of revenge. Nerraz would pay. For now though, he needed answers. He could still hear the two mystery men talking softly just outside his conscience. Who are they? What did they want with him? Clearly, they don’t have any desire to harm me; otherwise, I’d already be dead. So why was he alive? Was there something more nefarious than a fucking demon going on here? Or were they here to help?
As these thoughts were running through his brain, he felt himself gaining consciousness again. At first everything was blurry as if he’d been blinded by the sunlight on early morning drive, but then he saw everything with clarity once more. Leaning over him was a stocky built man who looked to be about fifty to sixty years old judging by his stone gray hair and beard.
“Welcome back, kid.” The man greeted Matthius. “Lie still; the healing process is swift, but it damn sure will make you dizzy.”
He was right. As Matthius jerked upright his whole head felt like the fucking ocean swaying back and forth. He felt queasy again till he lay his head back on the pillow. Reaching for the back of his forehead, he ripped his hand away in shock.
“What did you do to me? How am I not dead or, at least, bleeding profusely from my head injury earlier?” Matthius said voice cracking.
“That’s rather hard to explain, kid.”
“I’ve got all the time in the world now seeing as I already missed my lunch plans.”
The older man looked at his partner standing on the other side of the mattress, “Well let me ask you this, Matthius. Do you believe in demons?”
“How the fuck do you know my name?” Matthius queried angrily. “Who the fuck are you people?”
“Well do you want me to explain everything to you or not, dammit?”
Matthius could hear genuine frustration in the man’s voice. He pondered whether or not this was all and act or if he was truly being sincere. Sighing, he let go and accepted that he needed answers, and being difficult or unruly would get him nowhere.
“I’m sorry” He said calmly. “Please, tell me more.”
“Well, first of all, answer my previous question; it’s important.”
“I can’t honestly say I did before, but after what I experienced today, I am starting to believe that maybe I do now.”
“That’s wise of you cause I got news for you, kid; they're very real. Whomever decided to attach himself to you is formidable. So much so that I have absolutely no clue who he is or what he wants from you.” He paused. “Shit where are my manners though. My name is Frank Jansen. This here is my partner, Mark Brody.” He pointed to the other man standing by his bed. “ We are part of an organization formed long ago to keep the nightmares of hell out of this world, but sadly, our order has suffered many casualties of late. We need your help, kid. You have a gift; you may be our orders only hope.”
“So what, I'm like some sort of savior or something?” Matthius asked.
Frank chuckled lightly, “In a manner of speaking, yes. However, your role has yet to be revealed exactly how important it is.”
“How the fuck did my wound just miraculously disappear? I mean, come on, Frank, I need fucking answers.” Matthius seethed.
“As I said before, you have a gift; I was once like you and the order found me. They assisted me in developing my gift. I can heal almost any wound, big or small; however, it comes at a price.”
“What’s the price?” Matthius asked intrigued.
“Picture it like this, kid. What are you feeling right now? Do you feel lighter? Do you feel like all the pain and fear you had before has somehow vanished?”
“Now that you mention it, yes. That’s exactly how I feel. Why do you ask?”
“Because I took that from you, kid. I was able to heal your wound, but there was a penalty for doing so. All your insecurities, nightmares, and everything dark and disturbing in you is now in me. Our order calls it Dmectila or translated absorption. I am what is known as an Iach, a healer. Are you following me, kid?”
“I think so…” Matthius said. “So you absorbed the darkness in me into yourself in order to heal me? That’s heavy shit. Also you said you sensed the demon presence on me; how is it that you don’t know his after absorbing all the darkness?”
“When I tried to absorb what lay heaviest on your heart; your soul fought against me. It was as if you wanted the darkness and the demon attached to remain.” Frank said perplexed.
“He killed my mother. I had to witness it over and over again for months every time I lay down. Then today, before you arrived, It was as if I was in the dream. He saw me and he spoke directly to me. He took pleasure in the twisted memory he had forced me to gaze upon. He wanted me to feel insecure and weak.” Matthius shivered.
“What was his name?” Frank asked.
“Nerraz.” Matthius stated bluntly. “He threatened me. Said if i pursued him, that the same retribution that fell upon my mother, in retaliation to whatever my father did to him, would befall those I love.”
“Shit. It’s happening again. kid, You cannot pursue him; trust me. He will make good on his promise, and anyone you love will be a casualty.”
Matthius pushed his body up against one of his memory foam pillows; the dizziness he’d once felt had worn off. He was pissed. Who the hell does this guy think he is? Nerraz murdered my mom in cold blood; he relished in it. Am I just supposed to let that go?
“I’m begging you, kid. We will help you control and understand your gift; however, you have to let go of the thought of revenge. If this demon truly is Nerraz, he is an ancient power that we can’t contend with. Just ask your father or better yet, acknowledge what your father has become since he stood up to that monster.” Frank pleaded.
“I’m not making any promises. Unfortunately though, I need answers, and my father can barely even communicate anymore. I guess you guys are my only option.”
“Before I tell you everything you desire to know, I need your word. You have to promise that you will not pursue Nerraz.”
“Did you not here what the fuck I just said? Seems to me like you need me. I refuse to pledge anything like that, but I will, however, use my gift to help your order. So you choose, Frank: My gift or a promise you know is impossible to keep.”
Frank sighed defeated, “Fine, kid. You win. Get cleaned up and dressed; we’re going to take you to see our leader, Zachariah. He will have all the answers you seek. We’ll meet you outside shortly.”
Matthius smirked, and lifted himself out of his bed. As Frank and Mark exited the room, he headed once more for his shower. What greeted him was a grisly scene; blood was everywhere. He touched the back of his head again; it was smooth. Unbelievable. Then again what even was believable anymore. Everything he had heard moments prior was insane.
He stepped on the blood stained tile floor of his shower and turned the water on. It was scalding, but he didn’t care. He was deep in thought. This is crazy. What the hell am I doing? I don’t even know if I can trust these guys. I need answers though, and they may be the key to killing Nerraz. The fiery water ran down his body; all the blood on his body and the shower tile swirling down the drain.
Matthius turned off the shower. Stepping onto the cold floor, he threw a towel around himself and entered the tiny closet inside his bathroom. He grabbed a magenta t shirt, a fresh pair of boxers, and dark blue jeans. Getting dressed quickly, Matthius readied himself for the madness he was sure was coming.

1