1.1 – Playing with Dolls
112 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone widened their eyes. Some felt like their spotlight had been stolen, and some felt that the examination had gone off in a weird direction. That was because all the beasts had ran away with their tails tucked between their legs, without a trace of their savage and blood thirsty appearances from just a while ago.

 

Their view was different from the students. All they saw was a behemoth that was threatening to swallow them whole.

 

If Lumi knew what the beasts thought, she would undoubtedly raise her claws in the air and let out a rawr. 

 

Amelia was the first to move, she took out a red crystal. It formed into a sword as she started to chase after the beasts. Following behind her was Fina as well as a few commoners.

 

“Go!” Seig also took out a pendant and started to chase after the magic beasts. One after another, the students came back to their senses. A few smart ones noticed that there might not be enough magic beasts to go around. At least one third of them would be disqualified.

 

Lumi was soon alone in the field with the magic beast lying next to her. 

 

“Are you sure you want to be a mage? I feel like you should join the Knight’s Order instead.” The hot teacher had flown back, landing in front of her.

 

“Umm….” 

 

“I’m Ceclia, the Thunder Witch,” she introduced herself. “From the files, you must be Lumi?” 

 

She nodded.

 

Cecilia glanced at the beast on the ground. “It’s still alive.”

 

“Can I pass without killing it?” 

 

Instead of having her question answered, Lumi was asked with another. 

 

“Do you know a magic spell?”

 

“I don’t.”

 

“Then if you can’t kill it, you’ll fail.” She could see that Lumi was unwilling. “Magic Beasts and goblins are enemies of humankind. Because of them, we were almost driven to extinction, and even now, we’re fighting for survival. If you aren’t ready to kill and fight for humanity, then what use is the academy in nurturing you?” 

 

Lumi lowered her head, she felt a little embarrassed. “I didn’t know I had to kill so I still have my inhibitor on.” She pulled her sleeves upwards, showing a set of bracelets. 

 

Seeing them Cecilia’s eyes twitched. Are you flexing?! 

 

She also wondered if she should fail her right away for bringing magic tools to the exam. Of course, that was only a fleeting thought. If she really came to the exam without them, perhaps there would really be trouble.

 

Lumi reached her hand towards the teacher before passing her a key. “I can’t unlock it on my own.”

 

Cecilia took the key and undid the bracelet. The one Lumi wanted to undo wasn’t hard to find, since 4 of them were identical, while the last one was a delicate chain. 

 

As long as Lumi was in contact with the chain, she wouldn't be able to take a life, no matter how hard she hit something. 

 

With a light click, Cecilia undid the bracelet, and even held onto it for her. Seeing the innocent girl in front of her, she felt a little bad for making Lumi kill the beast. But rules were rules. If she didn’t kill, then combined with her having no magic spells learnt, she couldn’t pass.

 

Lumi went over and kicked the magic beast, finishing it off. Despite not being the first time killing, she was still unused to it. 

 

“Is this all?” 

 

Teacher Cecilia passed the bracelet back to her and nodded. “You may leave, the academy will send you a notification within the week. You may also join the banquet that is being held.”

 

She waved her hand at Lumi before flashing away, she still had to proctor the other students. 

 

 


 

 

One week later.

 

Inside an auditorium, Lumi sat in an inconspicuous corner with Fina next to her.

 

“Some of you may wonder why you’re still dressed in white and blues…. Despite this, I will say, the moment you’ve stepped foot in this room, your background will no longer matter, whether you be nobles, or commoners, you will all turn into resplendent stars. Some of you may shine brighter than others, and some may grow dim, yet nonetheless, all of you are the future of our Kingdom.”

 

Standing on the stage in front of them was an old man with a long white beard. He was giving them a really long speech, about the founding of the academy, towards the current. Their mission as well as equality.

 

From time to time, Fina would glance over at Lumi, or more specifically the doll that she was holding in her hand. It was the doll of a girl with black hair and blue eyes wearing a simple dress. She felt it was extremely cute.

 

Naturally, the doll was a magic tool, something that was created by someone named Lan Huiling. Towards outsiders, they would only think it was a normal doll.

 

Although it was strange for someone to carry a doll, it wasn’t like it was prohibited. She glanced towards the side, inside another section of seats, there was a girl student with golden curls holding a doll as well. The doll was a rabbit that was patched up, with buttons for eyes.

 

The girl turned around and looked over at her curiously. Upon seeing the doll in her hand, her purplish eyes became bright. She even raised her own rabbit doll and waved its hand at her. 

 

Lumi pretended she saw nothing, however, a blush surfaced on her face. She was a little too old to do something like this.

 

Lumi, you should greet her back, otherwise it's rude.

 

An earnest voice of a young girl sounded next to her ears, causing the blush on her face to deepen. If you say so….

 

She meekly raised Huiling towards the girl and controlled the tiny hands to wave at her.

 

Fina who saw everything went into a daze. What kind of scene was this?!

 

Although she had only met Lumi for a short while, she gave off a feeling of steadiness, and the scene in front of her just destroyed her image! 

 

“Too cute…” She muttered reflexively.

 

“....” Lumi felt like she was going to die from embarrassment.

 

Lumi, let me see~

 

Her bold request caused her to feel light headed, however, she turned to the doll around, allowing it to see her embarrassment. She wondered if it was a mistake to bring Huiling with her.

 

When the principal’s speech finally ended, everyone got up and saluted before making their way out of the hall. The two followed the crowd, they still had a few things to do before lessons began.

 

“What’s your dorm number?” Fina asked by the side.

 

“1376.”

 

“Wha, what a coincidence, I’m dorming in that room too!” 

 

Lumi nodded, “I wonder who our other members will be.” It was a 4 person dorm room.

 

“Right, Lumi, what class are you in?”

 

“G….” 

 

Fina widened her eyes. “How did you end up there?” There were 7 classes, G-A, and G was the absolute lowest. 

 

If they want to graduate, they need to climb all the way to A class, and take a final exam.

 

However, it was easier said than done, as there were limited slots in each class, 10 for A, 20 for B, and 30 for C. D and below had no limits, and everyone usually starts at class E, and if they were talented they would start at class D. Of course, there were monsters from time to time who would start at class C and above.

 

There was even a saying, that someone in class G was a rarer existence than someone in class A.

 

A wry smile surfaced on Lumi’s face. “It’s because I didn’t show a single magic spell during the exam, in addition, I was caught using magic tools.”

 

It was fortunate that they still passed her. 

 

She finally understood why Olivia said ‘I guess that’s passable…’ When she asked how the exams went.

 

“It’s true that I don’t know a single magic spell though….”

 

The two followed the crowd and left the auditorium. The two decided to first settle in the dorms before selecting their focus, which would take place in the teaching building. 

 

The auditorium was located in the front most building, while the gym and field were on the right side of the academy. The dorm was also on the right, but on the upper right corner. It was gated, separating the boy and girls dorm, and at the same time, it also separated itself from the campus. Adjacent to the dorms was the teaching building where classes would be held. 

 

When the two reached the dorm, they were greeted with an elegant lady. She was in her middle ages, along with her suit and skirt, combined with her glasses, she gave one a strict feeling. 

 

She glanced over at Lumi. “Please do not wear accessories within the academy, especially that ring, and do not carry your doll around in public.” 

 

Lumi stuck her tongue out. “I have permission to wear them.” She held onto Huiling with one hand while taking off her backpack, afterwards, she searched through it before taking out a piece of paper.

 

The following Student Lumi, is allowed to carry with her 9 Bracelets of Suppression and 1 extra Bracelet and ring.

 

On the bottom was the signature of the principal.

 

The strict dorm lady fixed her glasses in place while her lips were pressed in a thin line. 9 Bracelets of Suppressions? Was this girl a magic beast in disguise?

 

She passed the paper back to her with one hand and pushed her glasses up with another. Her finger was slim and long, and gave of an elegant flavor. “The doll isn’t included inside the list.”

 

“Teacher, can’t you make an exception?” Lumi held onto the doll tightly. It was just a doll, was it wrong to walk around with one?

 

Seeing her upturned eyes, the teacher didn’t soften, instead she grew more firm. “A fine lady of society shouldn’t be walking around with one. What do you think people will say when they see you acting like a child?” 

 

“I’m not a fine lady!” Lumi decided to inflict 1000 points of damage to herself and 800 to the enemy. “As for how others see me I don’t care! also….Also, I didn’t see it in the rules!” She actually hadn’t seen the rules, and was just blindly guessing. 

 

The dorm lady was speechless. She realized that there really wasn’t a rule about carrying dolls. It was at this time, another young girl tried to sneak past the two.

 

“Teacher, what about her?” Unfortunately, she was soon ratted out by Fina.

 

“....Suit yourselves.” She turned around and left. Since it really wasn’t in the rules, she couldn’t really stop them. She felt like she had been slapped in the face. 

 

The girl made her way over. “You, did you really have to call me out like that?”

 

Fina giggled. “Banding together is better than remaining separate.” 

 

The three went into the building, following behind the teacher before separating off towards their own room. Coincidentally, the girl was also in the same room.

 

The dorm rooms were wide, not only were there rooms on the side, there was a private bathroom as well as a living room. The only thing it lacked was a kitchen. If people wanted to eat, they needed to go to the cafeteria. 

 

Coincidentally, the girl was also in the same room.

 

“I’m Lumi, this is Huiling.” Lumi introduced herself as well as the doll. 

 

The girl nodded. “I’m Alice, and this is Lieutenant One.” She introduced the rabbit doll. 

 

For some reason, Lumi couldn’t help but feel something was off with this. Why was she playing dolls with someone?!

4