Prologue
62 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"She's gone," the doctor said with a grim look on his face.

Axel's eyes widened as the world around him spun, his heart beat quickly and he nearly lost his balance.

Axel nearly fell, if not for the strong arm of the doctor holding his arm he would have collapsed.

"She was the only one left," Axel's said, tears streaking down his eyes.

"I'm sorry for your lose Mr Hardlight," the doctor said, trying his best to soothe Axel.

It was a painful thing to admit but after years of experience, he was dulled to the loss of life, especially deaths caused by this particular disease.

The doctor stroked his beard, feeling the white hairs on his face for comfort.

"I suggest you go home Mr Hardlight, take the day off to grieve properly," the Doctor said, trying his best to make his monotone voice emotive as he spoke to Axel.

Axel sighed out loudly and supported himself, standing up again with great difficulty.

"Thank you, Dr Choi," Axel said before turning around to leave.

"Your welcome Mr Hardlight," Doctor Choi responded.

Axel stumbled his way out of the hospital like a drunk, his heart aching badly as tears fell from his face. He received confused and startled glances from onlookers but nobody approached him, watching the large crying man yelp before getting on with their day.

Axel was around 6'2 in height and was an overweight man, the bulge in his belly bordering obesity. When his parents were alive they enrolled him in several running clubs and courses, Axel had taken part in several marathons when he was younger and had mild success, placing 7th in the country when he was 12 and 25th in the world when he was 14 but fast-forward a few years and he was sitting around a shocking 110 kilograms.

He and his sister were born late by his parents who desperately wanted to children and by some dumb luck or miracle at the age of 63 years old, his mother became pregnant and had two children, a blue-eyed girl and a green-eyed boy.

They soon died of old age, when Axel was 15, their aged bodies finally giving out and while this hurt Axel and his sister, they rebounded off of each other, talking every day, knitting an unbreakable bond.

This all changed when Axel's sister got ill.

She used to be a singer but caught a strange illness that prevented her from speaking, every time she tried to talk, great waves of pain assaulting her. It got so bad that she would frequently pass out and enter comas for weeks at a time.

Axel was wildly frightened by his sister's illness, feeling extreme stress and anxiety whenever he heard her do so much as speak. The doctor's told him that he already had a case of ADHD and that his sister's declining health when coupled with that, could have negative consequences for him if he didn't find a release.

So Axel started binge-eating.

While it wasn't his intention, he found great solace in food and would eat until his anxiety would go away.

This was wildly unhealthy, causing him to balloon to his current weight, gaining over twenty kilograms in under two years.

His sister on her hospital bed had begged him to lose some of his weight as she didn't want to see him die early due to heart failure or some other kind of disease and when she did so she strained her voice and spoke for the last time of her life.

Axel stumbled out of his Uber with a look of profound sadness on his face, he brought out his phone and hastily paid the man, walking towards his house.

The house, now empty, was a nice one, his parents had managed to secure a small fortune as they worked their whole lives in the attempt to build a family and so they were more than prepared when Axel and his sister came.

"Are you Axel Hardlight?"

Axel moved his body slowly, still completely defeated as he turned to look at his caller.

The street was empty for the most, few people working on Axel's side of the pavement and so he laid eyes on a tall man in a black suit.

The man's features were notably average, unable to be described as handsome but couldn't be called ugly either. He was the tall slender type, his body in sharp comparison to Axel who was like a beach ball.

"Yes," Axel said groggily as he faced the tall man.

"Good Afternoon!" the man said excitedly, hurriedly coming to greet Axel.

Axel blinked and flinched, the tall man although he was at the end of the road was suddenly in front of him, smiling warmly as he approached him.

"I would like to have a word with you? May I come inside?" he said politely.

Axel looked the tall man up and down, unfamiliar with him and was slightly confused as to why the man spoke with him so jovially.

As if he had known him.

"I apologise Mr but I'm not in the mood for-"

The tall man sighed, cutting off Axel and reached into his suit, drawing out a gun.

The gun in his hand was a .28 calibre revolver, it had a brown handle and silver rusted barrel. It was an incredibly old thing, appearing as if it was 200 years too late but it served it's intended purpose.

Axel's heart quickened as his mind raced, trying to think of what he could have done to cause this.

Axel breathed out and stood upright, staring the man in his eyes.

'Oh?' the tall man thought surprised, usually, when he pulled out his gun, his clients would all cower in fear.

"I don't recall pissing off some kind of gang lord, what business do you have with me on this day," Axel said firmly, snapping out of his depressed state.

To Axel, it was a profound insult to have a gun pulled out in front of his own home.

The tall man continued to stare at Axel before chuckling to himself.

"It's best if we speak inside," the tall man said, ushering Axel to walk into the house.

[Narrator: That's crazy, homeboy pulled up with the strap and said 'Let's go inside', that's tough!]

0